chemical engineering vs medicine

unaware97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in human anatomy and oil refining lol. Can't decide which major to go through, not willing to major in engineering then go to med school. Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean you're not willing to major in engineering and then go to medical school? If you like engineering and ultimately want to go to medical school then major in engineering. You really didn't tell much for me to give you a lot of advice. Which could you see yourself doing? What would you be happy doing?

What do you mean you're not willing to major in engineering and then go to medical school? If you like engineering and ultimately want to go to medical school then major in engineering. You really didn't tell much for me to give you a lot of advice. Which could you see yourself doing? What would you be happy doing?
Engineering is difficult enough, having to follow it with med school and residency seems a bit much. The problem is I can see myself doing both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Engineering is difficult enough, having to follow it with med school and residency seems a bit much. The problem is I can see myself doing both.

I see. Engineering is difficult, you're right. But that shouldn't stop you from wanting to become a doctor. Medical school is going to be hard. I really wouldn't make my decision based off of the difficulty. They are both difficult in their own ways. No matter what you major in and if/when you go to medical school, it's still going to be difficult :shrug:. As far as you being able to see yourself being able doing both: I wouldn't stress about that too much. Sometimes time will tell, and you will just know what's right for you. You may need to see what it's like for yourself and then determine if it's still right for you. You could shadow a doctor and see what it's like, and see if you could still see yourself doing it. You could also try shadowing an engineer.

I see. Engineering is difficult, you're right. But that shouldn't stop you from wanting to become a doctor. Medical school is going to be hard. I really wouldn't make my decision based off of the difficulty. They are both difficult. No matter what you major in and if/when you go to medical school, it's still going to be difficult :shrug:.
Yea I know I'll be going through much difficulty either way, I just don't want to over do it by doing both when it's not necessary lol
Also I've shadowed both and like them evenly, you see my problem now.

Last edited:
Yea I know I'll be going through much difficulty either way, I just don't want to over do it by doing both when it's not necessary lol

If that's your only concern, and you really do want to go to medical school, then don't major in engineering. If you have any other interests, and other things you like, then major in that. If you like math, major in math. If you like biology, major in biology, etc. If you really just want to major in engineering and don't want to "overdo it" then just stick with engineering. That sounds vague, I know. If you feel like it'd be too much, then don't major in engineering and major in something else you like and go with medicine. But on the other hand if you want to go the engineering route, then stick with engineering.

Edit: Since you liked them both, it's honestly going to be tough for you choose, but you have to choose. Don't stress yourself out about it though. Many people have a hard time choosing between two or even more fields. You could major in Biomedical Engineering and it will combine both engineering and medicine, and you wouldn't have to worry about picking between them both ;).

Last edited:
If that's your only concern, and you really do want to go to medical school, then don't major in engineering. If you have any other interests, and other things you like, then major in that. If you like math, major in math. If you like biology, major in biology, etc. If you really just want to major in engineering and don't want to "overdo it" then just stick with engineering. That sounds vague, I know. If you feel like it'd be too much, then don't major in engineering and major in something else you like and go with medicine. But on the other hand if you want to go the engineering route, then stick with engineering.

Edit: Since you liked them both, it's honestly going to be tough for you choose, but you have to choose. Don't stress yourself out about it though. Many people have a hard time choosing between two or even more fields. You could major in Biomedical Engineering and it will combine both engineering and medicine, and you wouldn't have to worry about picking between them both ;).
Man I wish I could hear something that pushes me in one direction :p
Also I've been told biomedical is a risky field since it's so new.

Man I wish I could hear something that pushes me in one direction :p
Also I've been told biomedical is a risky field since it's so new.

Unfortunately I'm kind of biased because I don't know anything about engineering :smack:. I wish it was easier for me to tell you which one to pick, but it isn't. Tell me more and maybe I can help more. Why do you want to be a doctor? Why do you want to be an engineer? Something that really helped me choose what I wanted to do was (cliche and it may sound stupid) writing a list of the things I like about it and the things I hate about it. It was basically like a list of pros and cons (of the two careers I was choosing between). Like I said, it sounds really corny, but it honestly helped me a lot because I actually had to think more because I was writing it down. When I would ask myself "why do I want to be a ___" and I couldn't think of anything to write down, it really opened my eyes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm kind of biased because I don't know anything about engineering :smack:. I wish it was easier for me to tell you which one to pick, but it isn't. Tell me more and maybe I can help more. Why do you want to be a doctor? Why do you want to be an engineer? Something that really helped me choose what I wanted to do was (cliche and it may sound stupid) writing a list of the things I like about it and the things I hate about it. It was basically like a list of pros and cons (of the two careers I was choosing between). Like I said, it sounds really corny, but it honestly helped me a lot because I actually had to think more because I was writing it down. When I would ask myself "why do I want to be a ___" and I couldn't think of anything to write down, it really opened my eyes.
With medicine, other than being fascinated by human anatomy, I feel like being a doctor is the greatest jobs you can have. What keeps me from making the choice though is chemical engineering seems like the second best but doesn't require so much of my time :p.
I feel I might enjoy engineering a teensy bit more, but the stability isn't there like medicine.

With medicine, other than being fascinated by human anatomy, I feel like being a doctor is the greatest jobs you can have. What keeps me from making the choice though is chemical engineering seems like the second best but doesn't require so much of my time :p.
I feel I might enjoy engineering a teensy bit more, but the stability isn't there like medicine.

So are you saying that one of the issues is that if you go with medicine it's going to take a lot of your time and you don't want that?

Sent using Tapatalk

So are you saying you're stuck making a decision because if you go with medicine it's going to take a lot of your time and you don't
I guess I don't know if the investment of my time would be worth it in the end, I'm not much of a risk taker

I guess I don't know if the investment of my time would be worth it in the end, I'm not much of a risk taker

That's understandable. If you'd be really happy being a doctor and are willing to do what it takes with a positive mind you would think that it's worth it. I think that all of that time is worth it because in the end you're saving people, curing people, and watching them get better (and if that doesn't make you as a doctor happy, seeing a patient get better then what will?). And of course there are other positives as well.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's understandable. If you'd be really happy being a doctor and are willing to do what it takes with a positive mind you would think that it's worth it. I think that all of that time is worth it because in the end you're saving people, curing people, and watching them get better (and if that doesn't make you as a doctor happy, seeing a patient get better then what will?). And of course there are other positives as well.

Sent using Tapatalk
Yea I feel like during med school and residency I wouldnt think like that all the time though while engineering is a great, safe career with short schooling

Yea I feel like during med school and residency I wouldnt think like that all the time though while engineering is a great, safe career with short schooling

Well it sounds like you would probably enjoy engineering more and you may regret if you don't pick it. You sound unsure about going with medicine, but you sound like you would really be happy with engineering.

Sent using Tapatalk

Well it sounds like you would probably enjoy engineering more and you may regret if you don't pick it. You sound unsure about going with medicine, but you sound like you would really be happy with engineering.

Sent using Tapatalk
Yea idk I feel like I'd regret not choosing medicine if I didn't take the risk, oh the pain of choosing

Yea idk I feel like I'd regret not choosing medicine if I didn't take the risk, oh the pain of choosing

What'd be risky about going with medicine?

Just if I don't get a good residency, don't get into a good medical school, pre med usually isn't too much to fall back on

Well that's where you have to have faith in yourself and try your hardest to get a good USMLE score, have good clerkship grades, etc so you can get into a good residency program. I would much rather take a risk than end up regretting not even trying at all. You don't have to be perfect and have a 4.0 and a 40+ MCAT to get into medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well that's where you have to have faith in yourself and try your hardest to get a good USMLE score, have good clerkship grades, etc so you can get into a good residency program. I would much rather take a risk than end up regretting not even trying at all. You don't have to be perfect and have a 4.0 and a 40+ MCAT to get into medical school.
Yea I guess these are stupid excuses I'm making, I just can't choose :(

Yea I guess these are stupid excuses I'm making, I just can't choose :(

They aren't excuses. It makes sense to not be sure, but at the same time if you really wanted it you would be sure and it wouldn't be this hard to choose. Don't feel bad. If you want to, you can PM me.

There's a lot of stability in engineering. Many of my engineering friends from undergrad had jobs waiting for them when they got out, and they didn't have to continue for another four years of school (more for me) and long-hour, low-pay residencies. Most are pretty happy these days, too.

In the end, you have to make the choice that seems right for you. You could always start out as an engineering major and switch to pre-med if you're not enjoying it--might add a year, but you'd know it was the right choice. It's usually easier to switch into a pre-med major and graduate semi-on-time than to switch into an engineering major (some schools will ask you to apply to switch from an engineering department). With chemical engineering, you'll have some of the pre-recs for med school out of the way, anyway as they're required for the engineering degree...

There's a lot of stability in engineering. Many of my engineering friends from undergrad had jobs waiting for them when they got out, and they didn't have to continue for another four years of school (more for me) and long-hour, low-pay residencies. Most are pretty happy these days, too.

In the end, you have to make the choice that seems right for you. You could always start out as an engineering major and switch to pre-med if you're not enjoying it--might add a year, but you'd know it was the right choice. It's usually easier to switch into a pre-med major and graduate semi-on-time than to switch into an engineering major (some schools will ask you to apply to switch from an engineering department). With chemical engineering, you'll have some of the pre-recs for med school out of the way, anyway as they're required for the engineering degree...
I hear a lot about outsourcing and people getting fired once their projects' are done which is very scary.
And yes I realized earlier about half of the pre med reqs are completed by chem Es, my gpa would still be lower than I'd like as an engineer though unfortunately.

If I were in your shoes, I would start as an engineering major and shadow different doctors as well. Jump into general chemistry and intro engineering classes to see if you could do it for the rest of your life. Shadow physicians to see all the crappy parts of medicine along with the daily grind.

Obviously the biggest pro for engineering is the four years of education. Both fields have good pay and job stability, but medicine requires twice the schooling plus residency and the enormous amount of stress and cost that comes with getting into medical school.

I tried to find another career that I would be happy in because I really didn't want to spend all the time and money it took to even have a shot at getting into medical school, then the enormous tuition and opportunity cost of attending. However, shadowing physicians made me realize I would be settling for anything else. Good luck in your decision making.

I would do a Physics major with a minor in chemistry.

Then I would make sure to do the pre reqs for medical school.

It won't be as hard as engineering per-say but it'll be enough that if you decide ChemE/AeroE/MechE/anyE lol you can go to graduate school or get a second bachelors in 2 years extremely easy.

Or possibly do Chemistry B.S. with minor in physics.

Ultimately you want money. And ChemE has it, but you'll never make as much as a doctor. Even FP/Psych are going to outpace you in the long run unless you know somebody in a high level position as a company.

I would do a Physics major with a minor in chemistry.

Then I would make sure to do the pre reqs for medical school.

It won't be as hard as engineering per-say but it'll be enough that if you decide ChemE/AeroE/MechE/anyE lol you can go to graduate school or get a second bachelors in 2 years extremely easy.

Or possibly do Chemistry B.S. with minor in physics.

Ultimately you want money. And ChemE has it, but you'll never make as much as a doctor. Even FP/Psych are going to outpace you in the long run unless you know somebody in a high level position as a company.
My father is in a high level of an oil/energy company and I'm sure as a chem E in oil I can eventually make as much as a doctor, money isn't the issue.

Then just do what you enjoy. Simple.

Like memorizing body parts and conditions? Or working with your hands? Then go medical.
Like surveying refineries and oil fields, and computing equations? Then go ChemE.

The problem is I doubt he's surveyed many refineries lately to know if he enjoys it. Really the only thing he can do right now for engineering is take some intro and chemistry classes to see if it keeps his interest. Luckily for medicine he can shadow doctors, which is an even better way at knowing if he likes it or not.

I think you'll figure it out when you start taking classes. For me, I was torn between electrical engineering and medicine. You don't even understand how quickly I ran from that first electrical engineering class I took and never looked back. It was so horrendously boring to me I couldn't take it (the professor was excellent, I just couldn't stand the material). I have the passion, the interest, and the motivation for medicine. You're saying you don't want to spend the extra time it takes to become a doctor but for some people, it's worth the extra time.
I'd suggest researching medical school and all the ins and outs of becoming a doctor. There seems to be more negative info out there than positive. If all of that doesn't scare you away, try spending more time in a hospital. Also, try to get a part-time job that is very people oriented. I know a lot of people who wanted to become doctors but then they realized they hate people.
Also, don't forget, your dad will be able to help you a lot if you go into chem e.
Oh yeah and maybe you could try this: ask friends and family which profession they could imagine you in. The people you're close to will probably have a sense what would be the better fit for you.
But let me conclude this on a very frustrating but honest note: you're the only one who can ultimately decide. Trust me, I just wanted the answer of what I should become to magically fall on my lap but it doesn't work that way for everyone.
Best of luck!

I think you'll figure it out when you start taking classes. For me, I was torn between electrical engineering and medicine. You don't even understand how quickly I ran from that first electrical engineering class I took and never looked back. It was so horrendously boring to me I couldn't take it (the professor was excellent, I just couldn't stand the material). I have the passion, the interest, and the motivation for medicine. You're saying you don't want to spend the extra time it takes to become a doctor but for some people, it's worth the extra time.
I'd suggest researching medical school and all the ins and outs of becoming a doctor. There seems to be more negative info out there than positive. If all of that doesn't scare you away, try spending more time in a hospital. Also, try to get a part-time job that is very people oriented. I know a lot of people who wanted to become doctors but then they realized they hate people.
Also, don't forget, your dad will be able to help you a lot if you go into chem e.
Oh yeah and maybe you could try this: ask friends and family which profession they could imagine you in. The people you're close to will probably have a sense what would be the better fit for you.
But let me conclude this on a very frustrating but honest note: you're the only one who can ultimately decide. Trust me, I just wanted the answer of what I should become to magically fall on my lap but it doesn't work that way for everyone.
Best of luck!
Great response thanks, and about the hating people that's kind of true with me lol, I love human anatomy but I have a hard time dealing with annoying/ignorant people.

Then just do what you enjoy. Simple.

Like memorizing body parts and conditions? Or working with your hands? Then go medical.
Like surveying refineries and oil fields, and computing equations? Then go ChemE.
Not sure if I said this already but I enjoy both equally

Not sure if I said this already but I enjoy both equally

Then follow whichever one you are best at?
There has to be some difference.
You have to prefer something to the other.

Do you like hopsitals more than office/refinery workspace?
Do you want to be surrounded by Drs/Nurses/etc or do you want to be surrounded with engineers?
Would you prefer having to see people and dealing with them on a daily basis, or a more client-free job?
Do you prefer 4 years of post-high school or do you like to learn for 11 years?

Both healthcare and petro are going to be a growing industry.
As well as salary is good for both.

So it comes down to the actual jobs..
Shadow a doc, then talk with some entry engineers your dad knows.

I did engineering then med... Honestly wasn't bad at all. Are you good at math? (Finished ap calc BC? Have you taken ap chem or ap physics? - if yes and you did well, you will be fine).

For me personally there would've been no easier major. Worked on an oil rig, hated it, decided med school is best after all.

Btw... Do you actually know what a petroleum or chemical engineer does??? How much experience do you have with engineering and medicine?

I did engineering then med... Honestly wasn't bad at all. Are you good at math? (Finished ap calc BC? Have you taken ap chem or ap physics? - if yes and you did well, you will be fine).

For me personally there would've been no easier major. Worked on an oil rig, hated it, decided med school is best after all.

Btw... Do you actually know what a petroleum or chemical engineer does??? How much experience do you have with engineering and medicine?
I'm a top student in math/science and yes I know exactly what engineers do, as I said earlier, I shadowed both

I'm a top student in math/science and yes I know exactly what engineers do, as I said earlier, I shadowed both
Then honestly, major in engineering. It's going to be easier than something like biology or history if you are like me (who is also good at math and science but I'm pretty slow at English and memorizing arbitrary facts/dates). Why did you not want to major in engineering and then go to medicine?

50-60% of applicants do not get into med school their first attempt. Engineering offers the best back up (financially at least).

Then honestly, major in engineering. It's going to be easier than something like biology or history if you are like me (who is also good at math and science but I'm pretty slow at English and memorizing arbitrary facts/dates). Why did you not want to major in engineering and then go to medicine?

50-60% of applicants do not get into med school their first attempt. Engineering offers the best back up (financially at least).
Now that I'm leaning more towards engineerng, I think I will do engineering with pre med courses actually, thanks for the help.

What did you not like about working as an engineer if I may ask?

I never wanted to be an engineer... I simply majored in it because I was good at it and it was easy (for me)... And they offered me a scholarship. It was my financial back up plan. Oil rigs aren't fun but I didn't expect it to be either.

I never wanted to be an engineer... I simply majored in it because I was good at it and it was easy (for me)... And they offered me a scholarship. It was my financial back up plan. Oil rigs aren't fun but I didn't expect it to be either.
Ah ok, I shadowed engineers at an office and it seemed pretty fun, I guess I don't have the personal touch/empathy doctors should have.

Human anatomy doesn't equal medicine. What about a PhD in Human Anatomy?

Human anatomy doesn't equal medicine. What about a PhD in Human Anatomy?
The money is also a pull factor for medicine, though not the major one, I'd rather do engineering than a phd in anatomy.

PhD in anatomy doesn't exist last I checked but nowadays you can major in anything.

If youre ok with a desk job or lab work, then engineering. If you can handle massive amounts of stress and like to work a lot then physician.

If youre ok with a desk job or lab work, then engineering. If you can handle massive amounts of stress and like to work a lot then physician.
I prefer desk job and working a lot, I'm sure there's always a ton of work for engineers to do

What kind of jobs do you get with a PhD in anatomy?

What kind of jobs do you get with a PhD in anatomy?
Professor (med school, undergrad), researcher.
If you get a PhD in both A&P (anatomy and physiology), you open up many doors, including my favorite. You could become a consultant for a major sports team.

engineering then. docs need running shoes these days. unless youre doing radiology or something

lets rephrase this.....desk job with calculations and projects working under a boss vs mobile seeing patients every 12 minutes and absurd amounts of stress working under the ever changing insurance companies

how did you enjoy working in the medical field? How was medical school? How many interviews that one medical school require? Would you please advise on how to study for the MCAT and gain admission?