chemistrt part has more emphasis on gen chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kies89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think i saw somewhere it was like 80% genchem 20% ochem
Is it true?
Also do we need to absolutely know all the rxns and mechanisms for ochem?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah they'll throw just about any kind of reaction at you. I didn't even worry about it since the last OChem I took was in 2010. Still got a 97 in chem. They only had like 2 or 3 on reactions anyway. If you know the gen chem stuff you'll be fine, as even most of that stuff is easy. Stoich, Radiation, gas laws, MWs, etc.

Yeah they'll throw just about any kind of reaction at you. I didn't even worry about it since the last OChem I took was in 2010. Still got a 97 in chem. They only had like 2 or 3 on reactions anyway. If you know the gen chem stuff you'll be fine, as even most of that stuff is easy. Stoich, Radiation, gas laws, MWs, etc.
Hey! how did you study for the pcat?

Hey! how did you study for the pcat?

About a month out I spent an hour or so a day reading the Kaplan book and took the Kaplan practice online to see what I needed to focus on. Basically I was trying to teach myself anatomy/ physiology and statistics since I never took them. I had a chem degree so no need worrying about chem, math (at least algebra and calc anyway), and I didn't feel I could improve much on Verbal or Reading comp, so I looked at like a GRE word list 5-10 minutes and spent the rest on AP/stats. About 2 weeks out took a Pearson practice and had all 79-99s. The week of, I took the other two and got 79-99s. I never took the whole test at once, though. I just took them mainly to familiarize myself, as there wasn't much to improve by that point.

Basically it was mostly a review and trying to at least know something for AP/stats. Most of my prep was my schooling, since I decided last minute (March) to apply the next cycle. Ended up with a 97 Comp, which I was fine with since I was missing 3 prereqs, and was out of school for two years.