chemistry advice?

booksandscience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in high school in AP Chem. I am terrible at chem (still managed to pull through with an A-). AP chem is already extremely hard for me. The thing is, I don't want to spend another minute doing chemistry in my life, but I know that a ton is required to be a doctor. I want to be a general internist or a geneticist, maybe a hematologist. BUT I just cannot stand chemistry and I honestly can't tell if I will be able to pass all of the chemistry curriculum. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

In undergrad you usually only have to take two inorganic chem courses. These two classes (usually 10 hours) will be a lot like the AP chem you're in now. After that, you take organic chemistry and biochemistry, which are totally different things. I wouldn't assume you hate chemistry just because you dislike inorganic.

Thanks! And I know, I just think chem is very boring and extremely hard. I work my tail off, but I would rather not have to deal with it at all. Same with physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately you'll have to be open minded and be ready to learn chemistry and physics because its on the MCAT, and the MCAT is what will decide your fate.

Some people can really understand chemistry and some really can't lol. I understood most of the AP chemistry topics, but not all and had to work really hard. Unfortunately you have to force yourself to be good at it :(. Not everyone is a genius, but if you managed to pull with an A, then you really have nothing to worry about, you have good work ethic.

I wasn't a fan of chemistry in HS either, but became more interested in undergrad. Either way, aside from the MCAT and four semesters worth of chemistry, you won't have to deal with it all that much beyond that point (academically speaking). If you're a good student, you'll hold on to how it relates to medicine and its biological functions in the body.

As a side note: organic chemistry is completely different from what you've been learning. It's almost a whole new subject.

Thanks! And I know, I just think chem is very boring and extremely hard. I work my tail off, but I would rather not have to deal with it at all. Same with physics.

It will be difficult to do so much chemistry if you hate it.
I am into chemistry from last 25 years and I am in love with this subject..It is a simple subject with handful of concepts.If you understand these concepts which you can do 100% only if you do maximum problems based on the same concept. You will become master of chemistry by doing practice .
Zumdhal- zumdhal is one of the best book for AP chemistry/ general chemistry

I am a junior in high school in AP Chem. I am terrible at chem (still managed to pull through with an A-). AP chem is already extremely hard for me. The thing is, I don't want to spend another minute doing chemistry in my life, but I know that a ton is required to be a doctor. I want to be a general internist or a geneticist, maybe a hematologist. BUT I just cannot stand chemistry and I honestly can't tell if I will be able to pass all of the chemistry curriculum. Any advice?

The Chemistry in Med school does not have very much inorganic chemistry. It does have some equations, but all of it is tailored to biochemistry and organic chemistry on a lesser extent. You shouldn't try to compare inorganic chem to biochemistry, anyway, that's what college is for, you'll take some biochemistry, organic chemistry and you might find that you love it.

On the other hand, the MCAT does have a section fully dedicated to Chemistry and Physics, about a 80% Inorganic/20% Organic Chemistry split.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or just ask it in this thread.

You should be very good in many simple concepts of general chemistry like trends in the periodic table ,lewis structures etc which can help you in understanding many organic mechanisms.

Last edited:

Based on personal experience i would strongly recommend Khan Academy's chemistry tutorials. He covers EVERYTHING in detail. (sorry didnt realise someone else had recommended this).

Last edited: