Chemistry and Biology Question...Please Help Me!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clc8503

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry, this is not another one of those “what are my chances questions” but I need some advice from you guys on rather I should retake two classes. I just graduated with a degree in Medical Technology and a minor in Health Information Administrations. I have not always known that I wanted to go to medical school and I got a “C” in the first general biology, and a”C” in chemistry. 101 (A’s in the labs though) under the hardest professor at my school (I know that plays little relevance in this matter). But I still graduated with a BCPM gpa of 3.20 (with upper level biology classes, an introductory biochemistry class, along with the complete organics set) I have a cum gpa of 3.41.After I decided that I wanted to go to medical school, I took the Organic Chemistry set, as well as the Physics set and got an A’s in all of them (at another university). My MCAT was 9-BS, 7PS, 9VR. Cum =25. Do you guys think the rest of my numbers make up for those two C’s? The reason I’m asking is because they are part of the basic prerequisites for medical school, so wouldn’t a med school committee still look at those two C’s pretty hard despite the fact that I have excelled in upper level science courses? I apologize if this question annoys any of you.

Members don't see this ad.

clc8503 said:
Don’t worry, this is not another one of those “what are my chances questions” but I need some advice from you guys on rather I should retake two classes. I just graduated with a degree in Medical Technology and a minor in Health Information Administrations. I have not always known that I wanted to go to medical school and I got a “C” in the first general biology, and a”C” in chemistry. 101 (A’s in the labs though) under the hardest professor at my school (I know that plays little relevance in this matter). But I still graduated with a BCPM gpa of 3.20 (with upper level biology classes, an introductory biochemistry class, along with the complete organics set) I have a cum gpa of 3.41.After I decided that I wanted to go to medical school, I took the Organic Chemistry set, as well as the Physics set and got an A’s in all of them (at another university). My MCAT was 9-BS, 7PS, 9VR. Cum =25. Do you guys think the rest of my numbers make up for those two C’s? The reason I’m asking is because they are part of the basic prerequisites for medical school, so wouldn’t a med school committee still look at those two C’s pretty hard despite the fact that I have excelled in upper level science courses? I apologize if this question annoys any of you.

Don't retake C's. Most people get in with WAY more than 2 C's.

I have a degree im med tech from 1984 and had a C in a quarter of bio and a C in a quarter of gen chem. I went on to take harder chemistry classes (analytical) and in recent post bacc work did a 4.0 for physics and labs. I was offered an interveiw prior to my LORs arriving . I have a strong personal statement and MCAT ps9 v10 bs8 and Q. If you are strong in recent work the cs should not effect you too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. by the way I am NSU 2010

packerfan said:
Oh. by the way I am NSU 2010

That's pretty cool. I only went to school with a few med tech/premeds. Did you just not like doing all of that laboratory work? Also, did having a degree in healthcare make you a more desirable applicant?

you said BCMP. You know that math is not calculated in your science GPA for osteopathic schools? Recalculate the science GPA and get back to us if you want. 2 C's in your Science GPA is not going to hurt your chances of getting into Osteopathic schools. when are you applying to med school?

HunterGatherer said:
you said BCMP. You know that math is not calculated in your science GPA for osteopathic schools? Recalculate the science GPA and get back to us if you want. 2 C's in your Science GPA is not going to hurt your chances of getting into Osteopathic schools. when are you applying to med school?

I'm going to apply early next fall for 07. I'm finished with pre-med and undergrad and I'm really just trying to make sence of things right now (working full time as a med tech). I would like to thank all of you for your advice and your words of encouragment. I'm not going to retake those classes.

Apply in the summer if you can ;)

clc8503 said:
I'm going to apply early next fall for 07. I'm finished with pre-med and undergrad and I'm really just trying to make sence of things right now (working full time as a med tech). I would like to thank all of you for your advice and your words of encouragment. I'm not going to retake those classes.