Chemistry Grade!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently a freshman pre med, in my second semester. Last semester I had a stellar showing. I had a 3.95, A+ in Bio and A+ in my psychology pre med pre reqs. This current semester I am taking anatomy and chemistry. I am killing anatomy; I have an A+ in lab and lecture. I am also taking my second psychology and killing this as well. Chemistry is beating the life out of me though. I got a B on my first exam in lecture and I expect to finish with a B or B+ in the class, but the lab is killing me. My TA is an indian who is very hard to understand and is a terrible grader, giving me 95s on my lab reports and then taking off in between 10-20 points for a minor error (lab reports are 50% of the grade at my school). What should I do? Should I be worried about this? I have to take gen chem II next semester and it's really worrying me because I plan on applying to med school early (by next winter) through a joint program offered at my school, and I only have one semester left to really finish strong. Will the strong performances that Im showing in my other sciences make up for the struggle that Im going through in chemistry ? Will things get better? Any advice will help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I am currently a freshman pre med, in my second semester. Last semester I had a stellar showing. I had a 3.95, A+ in Bio and A+ in my psychology pre med pre reqs. This current semester I am taking anatomy and chemistry. I am killing anatomy; I have an A+ in lab and lecture. I am also taking my second psychology and killing this as well. Chemistry is beating the life out of me though. I got a B on my first exam in lecture and I expect to finish with a B or B+ in the class, but the lab is killing me. My TA is an indian who is very hard to understand and is a terrible grader, giving me 95s on my lab reports and then taking off in between 10-20 points for a minor error (lab reports are 50% of the grade at my school). What should I do? Should I be worried about this? I have to take gen chem II next semester and it's really worrying me because I plan on applying to med school early (by next winter) through a joint program offered at my school, and I only have one semester left to really finish strong. Will the strong performances that Im showing in my other sciences make up for the struggle that Im going through in chemistry ? Will things get better? Any advice will help.

The only thing that will hold you back is your ego.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you should ask your TA why you're getting those points off

Reactions: 1 user
A B+ won't kill your chances. Talk to your TA and see if there is anything you can do. Also, if you're doing significantly better than the average person in your class it will even out in the end. Stick it out and it sounds like you'll be fine.

You "kill" a lot of things...is medicine the right career for you?

Reactions: 14 users
You sound like a very academically inclined person, and it's easy to get especially stressed out about grades as a freshman. Do you know the average gpa required to gain admission into the joint program? Whatever it is, I am certain your gpa will not hold you back from it. Honestly, you can get into almost any top medical school program with a 3.8 gpa or above.

Cheers!

Thank you guys, the feedback is much appreciated

You sound like a very academically inclined person, and it's easy to get especially stressed out about grades as a freshman. Do you know the average gpa required to gain admission into the joint program? Whatever it is, I am certain your gpa will not hold you back from it. Honestly, you can get into almost any top medical school program with a 3.8 gpa or above.

Cheers!
yes, my advisor said a 3.4 science GPA is what you generally need as a cut off but obviously a little more is needed to be competitive, you know what I mean?

The only thing that will hold you back is your ego.
My bad man lol i dont mean to sound like an egotist with this post, im just trying to communicate how much better i am doing in my other sciences vs chemistry, im really a humble guy

Speak to your TA, figure out what you are missing in your chemistry exam and work to improve those skills, try not to define your sense of self-worth around grades. If you do the third thing and none of the first two then you are ahead of most traditional college students.

Reactions: 2 users
You're a freshman premed?

Come back when you're a junior premed.

My bad man lol i dont mean to sound like an egotist with this post, im just trying to communicate how much better i am doing in my other sciences vs chemistry, im really a humble guy
"I'm a really humble guy. So humble, guys. Like I'm by far the best at being humble. No one can come close to matching my humility."

Edit: jk, just messing with you OP

Reactions: 2 users
This. Communication and humbleness.
I did ask, ive even been going to the help office to get my lab reports proof read and its still happening. Hes just a hard grader i guess

"I'm a really humble guy. So humble, guys. Like I'm by far the best at being humble. No one can come close to matching my humility."

Edit: jk, just messing with you OP
:D Humor is always appreciated

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far, I feel better about everything. Im sorry to sound like a neurotic premed, but you guys gotta understand where I'm coming from. you were all freshmen once right??

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far, I feel better about everything. Im sorry to sound like a neurotic premed, but you guys gotta understand where I'm coming from. you were all freshmen once right??

You shouldn't feel bad about being neurotic, I hope you don't get the sense we are making fun of you. At least I am not. The only thing I found concerning was your acting like these things were happening to you when they were bad but like you were happening to them when they are good. You need to realize that - in college and when it comes to academics especially - you happen to everything and you just observe the results. If the question is, "What can I do?" then we are here to help, but if the question you are really asking is "How can I cope?" then we cannot help you.

I skipped freshman and became a sophomore automatically. So no.

Just kidding.