Chicago, IL: Really low GPA and 27Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silversurferrex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been a long-time lurker, finally decided to register and post.

I just calculated my cGPA and sGPA after transferring through 2 schools. I'm a senior (5th year) at my 3rd school. I really screwed up my whole first year of college, I got mostly C's, D's, and F's. But after that first year I kind of got my act together and since then, for the past three years I've been consistently getting all A's and B's, mostly B's though, haven't had any semester with a GPA below 3.0, but not above 3.3 either.

cGPA for all four years I've attended undergrad: 2.90
sGPA for all four years I've attended undergrad: 3.15

cGPA since I got my act together (sans first year): 3.20
sGPA: same (3.15)

MCAT: 27Q
Physical Sciences: 10
Verbal Reasoning: 8
Biological Sciences: 9

I didn't really study for the MCAT (6 weeks before I started taking practice tests and going over what I was getting wrong) I spent most of the summer panicking about it and couldn't study. I've started studying for it and will take it in January again and will probably get above 30 since I will have actually studied.

I have the "upward trend" schools look for but am worried it's not high enough. I've worked at a hospital, managing the volunteer department on the weekends and getting a lot of hands on experience there for the last 3 years, I've shadowed a doctor (my cousin) for the past 4 years, and I have some extracurriculars but not a lot.

Also, I've talked to a few people in medical school and looked at their first year curriculum and by the time I graduate I will have taken almost all of the classes a first year med student takes, and according my university those classes are taught at a professional school level, and so far I've gotten A's and B's in all of them. Will that make me a stronger applicant than someone who took the bare minimum and got better grades? I feel like I'd be better prepared to take on medical school than someone who took easy classes and got A's. Will med schools even care?

These are the schools I'm considering:
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
University of Illinois
Souther Illinois University
Medical College of Wisconsin

I haven't sent applications in yet, I was waiting on my MCAT score and got it 2 days ago.

What are my chances at those schools this cycle?
Should I not apply this year, retake the MCAT, boost my GPA this year, and apply next summer?
Should I look into grad school/post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan on retaking the MCAT in January, you should be applying next year. Schools won't even see those scores this app cycle. Your best bet is to wait, bring up your GPA (even slightly) and take the MCAT anytime between Jan-May of 2011. Then, submit your AMCAS the day it opens in the beginning of June. That way, you'll have your higher MCAT, and early app, etc. and you should be in pretty good shape!

Good luck!

Oooh, also, I should add that SIU doesn't just have an in-state preference - they go so far as to pretty much only accept people from southern Illinois. Since you're from Chicago, this prob wouldn't be you.

Thanks for the advice and quick response!

Would it make me look like a bad candidate if I applied this year, got rejected and reapplied next year? Part of me wants to just give it a shot at CCOM and RFU this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, your GPA trend is not one where they think, "Wow! This kid has really turned things around!" It's not that noticeable. Since you have so many credits, I think DO might be your best chance with more recent coursework with As and your current MCAT or one in the low 30s. You can also retake some of your Fs and replace those with As and really boost your DO gpa. The MD schools factor in all course grades so recent upper level science courses with As will be your best chance to impress them.

I am not sure what your extracurriculars are, but clinical experience and consistent volunteering and research experience are important. Also, some non-scholarly pursuits such as athletics or music can also be looked upon favorably.

I would not try to apply this cycle. Well, CCOM, maybe, but I'd think you would really need to impress them in other ways to make up for you sub-3.0 cGPA. RFU gets thousands of applicants and their avg GPA and MCAT are much higher than yours, so, sadly, I don't think you have much of a chance there.

All is not lost. You are just not ready yet. It's better to take some time to get your best possible application in order before just rolling the dice. :luck:

Thanks for the advice and quick response!

Would it make me look like a bad candidate if I applied this year, got rejected and reapplied next year? Part of me wants to just give it a shot at CCOM and RFU this year.

I certainly don't think it would make you look bad. However, you would have to list yourself as a reapplicant next year when you apply for real (assuming you wouldn't get in this year - sorry for the negative assumption). I agree with startswithb and think you should just wait for next year and just make your whole app better in the meantime.

I would retake the MCAT and apply to DO programs=)

1)What are my chances at those schools this cycle?
2) Should I not apply this year, retake the MCAT, boost my GPA this year, and apply next summer?
3) Should I look into grad school/post-bacc?
1) CCOM is one of the most selective DO schools. You have little chance there as you are, and essentially none at the MD schools.

2) Do not apply this year. Work on GPA repair. Take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy by retaking your lowest grades, and apply through AACOMAS, for which your MCAT score is fine.

or

Retake the MCAT and get a score above 30, then apply for SMPs to redeem the low GPA and apply for MD schools if you can get a 3.5+ in the program. If you can't get great grades, it would be a very expensive mistake, but you could still have a good chance at DO programs.

BTW, CCOM has an SMP (really Midwestern University) too which may have lower MCAT standards for acceptance.

3) See SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for more information.

1) CCOM is one of the most selective DO schools. You have little chance there as you are, and essentially none at the MD schools.

2) Do not apply this year. Work on GPA repair. Take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy by retaking your lowest grades, and apply through AACOMAS, for which your MCAT score is fine.

or

Retake the MCAT and get a score above 30, then apply for SMPs to redeem the low GPA and apply for MD schools if you can get a 3.5+ in the program. If you can't get great grades, it would be a very expensive mistake, but you could still have a good chance at DO programs.

BTW, CCOM has an SMP (really Midwestern University) too which may have lower MCAT standards for acceptance.

3) See SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for more information.

Thank you all for the responses and help, I really appreciate it, I've been panicking and haven't been myself for the past few days and your responses have helped me realize that it's not game over for me.

If I apply for SMPs and finish in a year, when I apply to medical schools will they look at my undergrad GPA AND my SMP GPA or just the SMP GPA? I know I can do well when I want to, if I can get the majority of B's simply by taking notes and paying attention in class, I know I can get A's if I actually study. At this point, SMP is what I'm leaning towards.

Also, I looked in the Post-Bacc forum and I just want to confirm, I don't need to take the GRE, right?

If I apply for SMPs and finish in a year, when I apply to medical schools will they look at my undergrad GPA AND my SMP GPA or just the SMP GPA? I know I can do well when I want to, if I can get the majority of B's simply by taking notes and paying attention in class, I know I can get A's if I actually study. At this point, SMP is what I'm leaning towards.

Also, I looked in the Post-Bacc forum and I just want to confirm, I don't need to take the GRE, right?
They will look at your undergrad GPA. They will see your dismal early years and your improved recent years. Then they'll see the high most recent grades and consistent excellent grades in the SMP which show that you finally got your act together. The SMP will take precidence.

Let me add, that to get into the SMP, the program needs to see that you have potential. So great grades this semester is a good idea, as most apply in the spring months for the SMPs, probably as soon as January.

You need a competitive MCAT score to get into an SMP. I haven't read of one that wants a GRE, but I am not an expert on all of them.

They will look at your undergrad GPA. They will see your dismal early years and your improved recent years. Then they'll see the high most recent grades and consistent excellent grades in the SMP which show that you finally got your act together. The SMP will take precidence.

Let me add, that to get into the SMP, the program needs to see that you have potential. So great grades this semester is a good idea, as most apply in the spring months for the SMPs, probably as soon as January.

You need a competitive MCAT score to get into an SMP. I haven't read of one that wants a GRE, but I am not an expert on all of them.

Is my score (27Q) competitive enough? Should I retake in January and notify the SMP that I'm retaking it?

Is my score (27Q) competitive enough? Should I retake in January and notify the SMP that I'm retaking it?

if you are considering for next fall the smp there starts taking applications in oct/nov and my advice would be to apply early.
they are also starting a 1 yr program for next fall which may interest you vs the 2 yr program which is currently thesis based
fwiw i got in to the smp with a 28 mcat so things are not lost.

mommy2three!! I bought girl scout cookies from you!