Chicago Med-peds programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drknockboot

I'mma let you finish.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to "cast a wide net" as they say, and looking at programs around Chicago without knowing much about them. The IM clerkship director at my school basically said the only IM program worth anything in Chi-town was the U Chicago program, but I feel like he might be working with limited knowledge on this one (and anything Med-peds, actually).

Anyone know anything more than that? Noticed this same question was asked three years ago and never got a response. I'm optimistic this is the year someone drops some decent knowledge on the topic...

Members don't see this ad.

Looking to "cast a wide net" as they say, and looking at programs around Chicago without knowing much about them. The IM clerkship director at my school basically said the only IM program worth anything in Chi-town was the U Chicago program, but I feel like he might be working with limited knowledge on this one (and anything Med-peds, actually).

Anyone know anything more than that? Noticed this same question was asked three years ago and never got a response. I'm optimistic this is the year someone drops some decent knowledge on the topic...

I am interested in med-peds in chicago too, however i agree that not being familiar with chicago schools limits my knowledge of programs significantly...I would also be interested in any thoughtful responses to this question.

Also wanted to mention that I was told by a high ranking IM doc at my school that Univ chicago is having some kind of issues (budget i think) and restructuring their IM program. While he didn't say to "not apply" he did say he was not as confident recommending U. chi.'s IM program to IM applicants this year as he has been in recent past years. just something to keep in mind if you interview there/get a chance to visit.

My dean also had good things to say about Loyola and Rush.

Members don't see this ad :)
u chicago does seem to have budget issues. they are diverting more patients to mercy hospital and they're CEO/dean of the medical school just stepped down. a lot of their physicians are unhappy about the changes. still, the IM morning report and noon conferences are great and the residents extremely bright.

rush and loyola both seem to be on par in terms of their med/peds programs. loyola has some really friendly peds and IM attendings who love to teach. Dr. Shahid is a great addition to the peds side. Peds also has no fellows except for neonatology so the residents generally handle everything and feel comfortable doing it.

Rush is similar in terms of they also have a children's hospital within the main hospital. the residents and attendings are friendly. would say their peds is stronger than their IM program. Rush is better than loyola location wise, though is surrounded by two other hospitals (UIC and stroger) so may compete for patients. both rush and loyola have new or are building new additions. both have EPIC EMR in place.

can't go wrong with either of those three really. UIC I don't know too much about, but their IM program seems to be strong. haven't heard too much about their peds side of things.

Thanks for the insight, motoo!

Can anyone comment on UIC? I have been told that it isn't as strong as the other Chi programs, but this is just hearsay...

I would be interested to know if anyone has any information about the 4 Chicago Med/Peds programs, particularly UIC?

Thanks in advance!

These are good questions and having gone through this last year, and now being an intern at UIC Med/Peds, here are a few of my thoughts:

Depending on what you want, each of the programs is slightly different. U of C is the only program I don't know much about as I didn't apply there for 2 reasons: 1. restructing of Medicine programs with many attendings leaving and 2. lack of adult public patients (and lots of criticism in general about how U of C handles public pateints). I come from a well-known med school and had very competitive board scores, but was interested in seeing public patients with a mix of private. The only two programs that allowed this were Loyola and UIC.

Rush: 84% private, 16% public, limited options to be at CCH. Outpatient clinic was very small, has great peds but many medicine patients are covered by private attendings instead of ward teams (or are co-shared with less teaching for residents). Also heard that the new hospital is mainly for surgical patients, will not benefit Med-Peds, but unsure if this is accurate info. Overally, did not feel like it was right for me, also very poor turn-out at the interview dinner so couldn't even ask residents questions.

Loyola: Great peds, wonderful mix of public/private closer to 60%/40% including having a VA, but over half an hour outside of the city. Medicine program was also much smaller. Felt like if I was going to be that far out of the city, I might as well rank other cities higher with programs that I liked more. Overall, a very well-run program with great board pass rate and friendly environment. The PD was also a lot of fun! Overall enjoyed this program but felt that location and size of medicine program were limiting factors. Residents were nice, too.

UIC: Great mix of public/private with a VA. Having now been through the VA (which UIC shares with Northwestern), I can't imagine not having one--excellent teaching, great resources available to patients, wide variety of cases from bread and butter to the extremely rare. Med Peds outpatient clinics are brand new and amazing, good clinic support staff. Medicine program is large, great PD, residents are very autonomous, fellows do not run the show so lots of hand-on resident learning, very adamant about great morning report and conference teaching (which I did not realize is HUGE when I was interviwing). Peds side is smaller, now that curriculum is revamped lots of excellent teaching, new faculty is very involved, some subspecialty peds are run by attendings that are both at RUsh and UIC (so essentially the same attendings). There is every peds subspecialty with rheum faculty recently being brought on. Board pass rates are higher than national average (I believe 100% for past few years but double check on this). Our Med PEds PD is incredible, really the greatest PD I met while interviewing. Lastly, the Med-Peds residents are really friendly and make an effort to support eachother, which went a long way for me. I can say that now that I'm in the program, I am lucky to have ended up with such a good group. Intern year is hard and things like location/colleagues really matter a lot.

Hi all I interviewed at Loyola in December. Like someone earlier stated, it's kind far out of the city. PD was really cool, residents seemed good. I would like to stay in Chicago, but I am questioning how I should rank Loyola. I like the other Chicago programs a bit more. However, I heard Loyola is selling their hospital. This could mean a lot of changes, including to the residency programs. Who knows what new leadership could do, changes have happened to other programs. I saw this article in the Chicago Tribune.

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/12/loyola-university-medical-center-may-seek-merger.html

From what I heard it will be more of an outright sale not a merger.

Although this might not have implications for next year, it could shake things up for years 2-4. Hopefully I would match at my top choice so this doesn't even come into play.

Thanks!

Last edited: