Chicago State University c/o 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tm79602

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search for a thread for this application cycle for CSU, but I had no luck. Decided to start a new thread.

I just received an interview invite for 10 Dec 2012. I had to request for another interview date, because I have 4 final exams that week (with 2 of my finals being on that day). I hope that they can work with me. Pretty excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno, but I just e submitted and mailed in my supps

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to search for a thread for this application cycle for CSU, but I had no luck. Decided to start a new thread.

I just received an interview invite for 10 Dec 2012. I had to request for another interview date, because I have 4 final exams that week (with 2 of my finals being on that day). I hope that they can work with me. Pretty excited.

Im glad you started this! I couldnt find any either. I also got an interview for dec 10th. Im really excited! How are you planning to prepare for the interview??

Im glad you started this! I couldnt find any either. I also got an interview for dec 10th. Im really excited! How are you planning to prepare for the interview??

I had to send Mrs. Amelia Diaz an email letting her know that I have 4 finals that week and to request for an alternate date. She told me that they do not have any more dates scheduled at this time and she will send me another invite with a new date that works for me.

I interviewed at this school last year and its in a bad area!!

I am not sure about Oakland but I felt unsafe. There was an armed robbery at the CSU metro stop the day before my interview...

from what i've heard csu isnt that bad. but i mean its chicago, if you walk at night by yourself holding out your iphone your going to get robbed..

I was able to get my interview date changed to 26 January 2013. I am glad that the school was able to accommodate for my final exams.

I am not sure about Oakland but I felt unsafe. There was an armed robbery at the CSU metro stop the day before my interview...

The school is in the south side of Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY GUYS!!!
i am a p1 student in CSU currently.
if you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask me.

btw... yes it's true CSU is in south area of Chicago, but it's not that DANGEROUS. yes it's in ghetto area. but when u go to chicago, you will see 10% of nice area, but the rest is ghetto area, because it's the old city. that's CHICAGO.

if anybody wants to wonder about me, i am a female and asian, and i am from CA. i chose this school out of many schools because it's a public school and it's cheaper and it's CHICAGO! lol!

good luck to all you guys :)

HEY GUYS!!!

btw... yes it's true CSU is in south area of Chicago, but it's not that DANGEROUS. yes it's in ghetto area. but when u go to chicago, you will see 10% of nice area, but the rest is ghetto area, because it's the old city. that's CHICAGO.

if anybody wants to wonder about me, i am a female and asian, and i am from CA. i chose this school out of many schools because it's a public school and it's cheaper and it's CHICAGO! lol!

How's the program over there? I'm hoping for an interview. Also are there lots of Asians there? And are there near by supermarkets? How far do you live from campus. what's your typical day like there. How would you rate their professors.?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

HEY GUYS!!!

I am so glad you cleared that up!! Thanks!!!

HEY GUYS!!!

If you're from California you'd be paying out of state tuition which is comparable to private school tuition so why would that have mattered to you

If you're from California you'd be paying out of state tuition which is comparable to private school tuition so why would that have mattered to you

Not sure if this is the case for Chicago State, but some state schools let you pay in-state tuition after 1 or 2 years residing in that state.

How's the program over there? I'm hoping for an interview. Also are there lots of Asians there? And are there near by supermarkets? How far do you live from campus. what's your typical day like there. How would you rate their professors.?

"are there lots of asians there?" LOL u kidding me right??? hahahaha!!!! let's put it this way.... 15% asians 15% armenians/indians and 70% africans :D

there are alot of asian supermarkets in chinatown. so i go to chinatown alot of times with my asian friends, even wtih my black roomie :)
i live in kenwood, which is like 10 mins away from chinatown and like 10 miles away from school so it's not that bad. i drive but i can take public transportation between school and home. so it's not that bad.

my typical day is FULL OF STUDYING lol! during first year you ll be taking 5 classes. so from the very beginning start studying even tho u wont have an exam until one month later. but it ll accumulate. so start studying early! anyways to answer ur question: this is my typical schedule - class mon-friday then after class study the lectures. because you ll never know when you ll have quiz (we call it "POOP" QUIZ lol ) oh yeah, there are group projects so you ll have to spend some time with ur community group. community group is chosen by the faculty and you ll be with this group for FOUR YEARS. each group has 5-6 ppl. and also every wed or thurs (depends on what schedule they give u) you will have rotations. first semester is community setting (retail pharmacy - CVS, Walgreens, etc) and second semester is home health setting (hospice, etc). so very BUSY SCHEDULE!!!! but don't worry time ll go by so fast and it's very FUN!

professors.... i will have to say some are so cool! and others are ..... eh? LOL all im gonna say is look for dr. duc do. he is sooooo COOL and so funny!!!! i think he is everybody's fave professor! and yups he is asian! he ll interview some of you guys. he interviewed me when i interview at csu. i adore him! :love: ahhahaa! all the students from CSU including p2 and p3 they all make fun of him in a good way of course hahaha! we all joke around cuz he jokes too much lol. he is so down to earth!

lol.... have you seen the private school tuition in CA? almost 60,000 dollars! and here i only paid for almost $30,000 for out of state tuition. and it takes only 6 months of residency to be qualified for in-state tuition, which is about $24,000.

that's the BIG DIFFERENCE! lmao! ;)

lol.... have you seen the private school tuition in CA? almost 60,000 dollars! and here i only paid for almost $30,000 for out of state tuition. and it takes only 6 months of residency to be qualified for in-state tuition, which is about $24,000.

that's the BIG DIFFERENCE! lmao! ;)

I think the out of state tuition is $36,000 not $30,000 as it is posted on the website (LINK- scroll all the way down) which i think is way too inflated since it is only a public institution after-all.

If you gain in-state residency after 1 semester, the tuition is still a grand total of $25,000 which is roughly $9,000 more expensive than other relatively well known universities.

how was the interviews guys??? the first interview was yesterday. anybody is coming to the next interview? if you guys are, let me know if you have any questions.. especially the ones who are coming here from other state. inbox me! ill be glad to help you guys out! :)

how was the interviews guys??? the first interview was yesterday. anybody is coming to the next interview? if you guys are, let me know if you have any questions.. especially the ones who are coming here from other state. inbox me! ill be glad to help you guys out! :)

How's the campus and program?

I keep emailing Sultan, but he never gets back to me.. it's been over a month since I asked him about pre-requisites..

I keep emailing Sultan, but he never gets back to me.. it's been over a month since I asked him about pre-requisites..

what u want to know about pre-requisites? and who is Sultan? LOL

I think the out of state tuition is $36,000 not $30,000 as it is posted on the website (LINK- scroll all the way down) which i think is way too inflated since it is only a public institution after-all.

If you gain in-state residency after 1 semester, the tuition is still a grand total of $25,000 which is roughly $9,000 more expensive than other relatively well known universities.

you are correct about the tuition. wells kinda. but im not going to argue about the prices.
btw it really doesn't matter which pharm schools u graduated from. as long as you pass the board. or UNLESS you plan to apply for residency. then maybe.
btw i currently finished the rotations, and my preceptor from that rotation told me that he rather hire graduates from CSU than UIC. BECAUSE CSU pharm students have more EXPERIENCE. it's true. we started rotations from the beginning of p1 while UIC start theirs mid-P2 or P3 (that's what i heard from him).
so i guess everybody has different opinions. ;)

what u want to know about pre-requisites? and who is Sultan? LOL

Sultan..Farabee lol.. I'm trying to see if the pre-requisites I took at my undergrad satisfy them.

Sultan Farabee
Recruitment Coordinator
College of Pharmacy
Chicago State University
9501 S King Drive
Douglas Hall 206
Chicago
Illinois
Phone (Work): 773-821-2500
Phone (Fax): 773-821-2595
Email: [email protected]

you are correct about the tuition. wells kinda. but im not going to argue about the prices.
btw it really doesn't matter which pharm schools u graduated from. as long as you pass the board. or UNLESS you plan to apply for residency. then maybe.
btw i currently finished the rotations, and my preceptor from that rotation told me that he rather hire graduates from CSU than UIC. BECAUSE CSU pharm students have more EXPERIENCE. it's true. we started rotations from the beginning of p1 while UIC start theirs mid-P2 or P3 (that's what i heard from him).
so i guess everybody has different opinions. ;)
hmm...CSU over UIC??? Very unlikely...

I got an interview on 26th of January.

I got an email saying my application was up for review at 12:38pm and then got an interview invite at 1:13pm.... they work fast :eek:

Interviews went well today. I hope to hear from them soon. Very friendly faculty and students. I love the idea that the pharmacy school is diverse and everyone helps each other out.

Received an email today from the school letting us know that the admissions committee will meet next Tuesday to make a decision and we will be notified on Wednesday

Me too

Just got acceptance email

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Just got my acceptance email as well!!! :)

I read on one of the forums (somewhere, can't seem to find it now) that CSU COP is possibly losing its accreditation status... can anyone comment on this?

I read on one of the forums (somewhere, can't seem to find it now) that CSU COP is possibly losing its accreditation status... can anyone comment on this?

We were told that they just got accreditation, so I am not sure where you saw that at.

Dunno if I should put deposit here or Midwestern Glendale...

Dunno if I should put deposit here or Midwestern Glendale...

I am still waiting to hear from 2 other schools. I am pretty sure that I will put a deposit down just in case, but the two other schools are a higher choice for me.

I was also accepted today. I don't know about this school. They didn't sell themselves very well at the interview. I didn't learn anything knew almost after visiting. What do you guys think?

I was also accepted today. I don't know about this school. They didn't sell themselves very well at the interview. I didn't learn anything knew almost after visiting. What do you guys think?

I really liked the fact that the students are very close knit and are really willing to help each other out. The faculty was very friendly and (being a minority), there are more people of my ethnicity that will be in my class. The only thing that I did not like about it is the location of the school. That is what's really turning me off.

I really liked the fact that the students are very close knit and are really willing to help each other out. The faculty was very friendly and (being a minority), there are more people of my ethnicity that will be in my class. The only thing that I did not like about it is the location of the school. That is what's really turning me off.

Yea I don't like the location. I'm waiting back on Midwestern Chicago, Iowa and Maryland

I sent my deposit in through FedEx yesterday. So happy that I will be going to pharmacy school in the fall!!! I am definitely looking at Oak Lawn for my family to relocate to. It seems like a safe area and I have a 6 year old (turning 7) that I want to go to a good elementary school. The commute from Oak Lawn to CSU is about 10 miles.

Does anyone know if it has to be postmarked or it has to be there by the 22nd?

Does anyone know if it has to be postmarked or it has to be there by the 22nd?

Like with all pharmacy schools, it has to get there by the date indicated, which in this case is 22nd.

Like with all pharmacy schools, it has to get there by the date indicated, which in this case is 22nd.

Yeah, it has to be there on the 22nd. That is why I had it FedEx'ed since I did not get the packet until this past Friday. I did a 2 business day delivery so that it would be there on Wednesday. I emailed Amalia so that she could let me know when they have received it.

Hey guys I have an interview on Friday the 22, just curious as to what I can expect and how many other applicants will be there. Btw, does anyone know how many interviews they give out a year? I know they only accept 90 people.