Chicago TY programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trustedsource

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice/opinions on the Chicago-area transitional year programs? Specifically would like to hear about NorthShore vs. St. Francis vs. Weiss. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In addition, could anyone compare Northshore vs Resurrection vs Macneal? I'm trying to decide between those three. Thanks!

Would like to jump on this thread - Info on St Francis would be really helpful. How is Evanston, IL?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't a fan of MacNeal. 3 months of ICU + 2 months of surgery aren't very appealing. Plus, I'd rather go to a place with EMR instead of paper charts.

of the three i would probably take northshore.

don't know much about weiss, but the people i know who went there were not huge fans of the program. they did, however, love the intern class and are all still friends. i think their biggest complaint was that it was disorganized.

northshore is paradise - nice hospital, good schedule, good teaching, good cafeteria, etc. if i were to go there i would live in either lakeview or lincoln park and then take the purple line or drive to work every day, it's actually pretty fast other than friday traffic.

i'm told st francis is good but i've never been. of the two in evanston i would still take northshore. macneal used to be everybody's favorite, but for reasons i don't understand everyone on this forum now doesn't like it.

based on people i've known in the programs, i'd say resurrection is the cushiest in chicago if that's what you're looking for, and northshore is tougher but still very pleasant and a good educational experience. and that's really what you're after, right?

Would like to bump this thread because I am currently in a similar situation comparing Chicago TY programs (Resurrection vs. Northshore vs. Macneal vs. St. Francis vs. Weiss) and having a tough time figuring out how to rank these programs... anyone with any familiarity with these programs, please share your thoughts! Thanks :)

I liked St. Francis better. Northshore is much more medicine heavy (6 months of floors vs 4 months), farther north of the city, and offers fewer elective months. There is also no required ICU month at St. Francis. I also REALLY liked the PD (Dr. J) at St. Francis. He cares a lot about the TY program and was friendly, energetic and funny. The decision is easy for me.

would like to bump this thread in prep for the 2018-19 cycle. Interested in Chicago Tys

Reactions: 1 user