Child & ado psychiatry work schedules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavanshir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if C&A psychiatrists have to work a lot of after-hours when children are not in school. Are there any practicing C&A docs here who can comment? Are you having to have late hours or weekend hours to accommodate school hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm and it is satisfactory for me and my patients. Adding early evenings and weekends would be a nice service and certainly there will be demand, particularly when school is in session. If I ever did add weekend or evenings I probably wouldn't do it in the summer or over the two weeks or so of Christmas break.

M-F, 8-4:30 for me . You can do a late hours day or a Saturday clinic for a few if you like. I'd rather be home when my family is.

I choose to work longer days of 8am-5:30pm Monday-Thursday, then do only half day in the morning on Fridays to get the weekend started early and have some time available for errands/appointments. That kind of schedule has worked out well for me and my family!

Many around here do extended schedules 3-4 days (private practices) a week, like 7am-7pm 3 days a week. Sounds decent as you would have a long weekend every weekend and also allow for some better hours for parents to bring kids around their work/school schedules.

Reactions: 1 user
I work from 7am to 7pm mon-Thursday, work 7am-3pm on Friday. Also spend about 2 hours documenting after hours, but I think I'm an outlier

Reactions: 1 user