Child Psych Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallBird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just certified my ERAS application today! Anybody interested in having a thread to share interview experiences, etc? I have stuck to the Northeast with my applications. Happy to share more detail if there is general interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Cool! I am gathering together still application materials. Were you able to submit your app without LOR's uploaded?

My LOR's were uploaded, so I did not have have figure out that problem. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my applications last week and I only had 1 LOR uploaded. Once the rest of your LORs are uploaded then you can check them to be send to the programs. Has anyone heard back for interviews? I'm applying primarily to the Midwest area.

I submitted my applications last week and I only had 1 LOR uploaded. Once the rest of your LORs are uploaded then you can check them to be send to the programs. Has anyone heard back for interviews? I'm applying primarily to the Midwest area.

I have not yet heard back, and I have no sense of a reasonable time frame for fellowship interviews...

Third year here, applying to child psych too. Still getting my LORs in. Would love to hear when people start getting interviews and such!

I got my first interview invite-University of Arizona. Good luck everybody!

I suck at life so I'm only sending my application tonight. LORs pending. Ugh.

Haha - I hope that this wasn't your only evidence for deciding you suck at life. It's only been a week!

No it's more of an explanatory statement. Like I have diabetes, therefore my sugars run high.

I noticed on some fellowship websites that they ask for "other" documentation that ERAS did not ask for--such as copy of medical school diploma, etc. Is anyone planning on sending that separately, or just filling out ERAS?

I noticed on some fellowship websites that they ask for "other" documentation that ERAS did not ask for--such as copy of medical school diploma, etc. Is anyone planning on sending that separately, or just filling out ERAS?

Yes, some programs want additional documentation beyond what you can put into ERAS. I did send that seperately - I contacted the program first and they allowed me to email scanned copies.

Got my first interview invite - at the Yale Child Study Center!

Reactions: 1 users
Remember the days when everyone went into child? Looks like that's not the case anymore. Also, why does it seem like the awesomeness of your letter writer is inversely correlated to how long it takes them to write the letter?

FML

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone applying to the University of Iowa? They have not downloaded my application. Is any one applying to University of Minnesota or Mayo Clinic? Also got my first 2 interviews at Medical College of Wisconsin and University of Colorado.

Is anyone applying to the University of Iowa? They have not downloaded my application. Is any one applying to University of Minnesota or Mayo Clinic? Also got my first 2 interviews at Medical College of Wisconsin and University of Colorado.

How are you able to track who has downloaded your application? I remember being able to see this for residency application but can't find it in the fellowship ERAS.

How are you able to track who has downloaded your application? I remember being able to see this for residency application but can't find it in the fellowship ERAS.
Click on the ADTS link in the top right corner where the link for the message/email is at. You will need firefox for it work and it will also tell you when your LOR's have posted.

Click on the ADTS link in the top right corner where the link for the message/email is at. You will need firefox for it work and it will also tell you when your LOR's have posted.

When I click on that, it only says when the application became available to programs which is when I submitted it. I do remember it saying when programs uploaded the app when I applied for residency.

I noticed something odd while checking ADTS (for no good reason since I only have one letter in...sigh). And I noticed something odd. One program had 'not yet retrieved', most of the others had an 'available for download' time that was the actual time I uploaded my ERAS--this was in black. And two had a greyed out time that was significantly after I'd uploaded. Not sure how to interpret any of those, but maybe greyed out means the actual download time?

I noticed something odd while checking ADTS (for no good reason since I only have one letter in...sigh). And I noticed something odd. One program had 'not yet retrieved', most of the others had an 'available for download' time that was the actual time I uploaded my ERAS--this was in black. And two had a greyed out time that was significantly after I'd uploaded. Not sure how to interpret any of those, but maybe greyed out means the actual download time?

Say what? Mine is nothing like that. I just have a column "Available to program" for everything and the date is 7/15 when I submitted. So weird...

Say what? Mine is nothing like that. I just have a column "Available to program" for everything and the date is 7/15 when I submitted. So weird...
Are you letters of recommendation listed along with all of your application stuff (MSPE, PS, etc) for each program that you applied to?

My shows the same thing with a couple of the programs where the information is greyed out. I'm not sure what that means but one of the programs says "not yet retrieved" under the "available to programs" section so I am assuming they have not downloaded the application.

Have any of you guys noticed on ADTS that certain programs have a purplish color to the time they downloaded info? Others are just black?

Reactions: 1 user
I de-identified the image below for the safety of the person that wrote me the LOR. If it gets out that they actually recommended me for anything, their judgment will forever be questioned. You can see that one is black and one is grey. Interestingly, the black one shows the actual upload/send times of when I put into the system. The grey one is later, and I think may represent a manual download or re-download. My (total) guess is that some programs have the applications automatically transmitted to them, and some manually download them. The latter may allow some degree of filtering by various statuses (AMG vs. IMG, maybe board scores) to cut down on total number of apps to review. My initial panicked reaction was that the greying out meant that the program was no longer considering me and that they had asked for ADTS to stop sending them info about me. Thankfully, this is not true either as I got an invite from the grey one (wooh!)
ADTS.png

I de-identified the image below for the safety of the person that wrote me the LOR. If it gets out that they actually recommended me for anything, their judgment will forever be questioned. You can see that one is black and one is grey. Interestingly, the black one shows the actual upload/send times of when I put into the system. The grey one is later, and I think may represent a manual download or re-download. My (total) guess is that some programs have the applications automatically transmitted to them, and some manually download them. The latter may allow some degree of filtering by various statuses (AMG vs. IMG, maybe board scores) to cut down on total number of apps to review. My initial panicked reaction was that the greying out meant that the program was no longer considering me and that they had asked for ADTS to stop sending them info about me. Thankfully, this is not true either as I got an invite from the grey one (wooh!)
View attachment 184296

That seems a solid theory! So confusing, they should really make it more like the residency ERAS system.

Mine are all black and all have the same time listed (which is when I submitted the application). No interviews yet... how are the rest of you doing with interviews?

Has anyone received invitation from Columbia, Hopkins, or Cali programs?

I didn't apply up north or west coast this time. I did get three from the Southeast last week though. Which surprised me because I only had one letter in--and not even the PD LOR.

I didn't apply up north or west coast this time. I did get three from the Southeast last week though. Which surprised me because I only had one letter in--and not even the PD LOR.

Also remember there are more spots than applicants. If you aren't applying to Cali or NE, I imagine it is easier than you think.

How are people faring in the South Atlantic? (NC down to FL) I got offers from MCG, MUSC, and Miami last week but otherwise nada.

I have heard from U of Arizona, Baylor, and MUSC. I've heard nothing from the California programs. Anybody else? I didn't apply anywhere in the northeast.

I just certified my application this weekend. Still waiting on my LOR authors to upload their letters, but from what I read here it seems that I can go ahead and apply to programs without the letters (and assign them to programs later), right? And speaking of LORs, I have noticed that most programs request 3 letters, including one by the program director. However, at least one program I am applying to requests 3 letters in addition to the PD letter, for a total of 4 letters. I wonder, if the other programs only request 3 letters, would it be bad to send them all four of my letters? I kind of feel like if I have someone write a letter, I might as well get the most out of it that I can, and let programs see what four physicians think of me instead of just three. However, I also don't want to run the risk of being seen as someone who can't follow directions, by sending them an extra letter and giving them 33% more to read. What do you think?

As far as my letter writers are concerned, I have the following: 1) Program Director. 2) Department Chair. 3) Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist. 4) General Psychiatrist with whom I worked for several months over the past two years (and who therefore probably knows me better than any of the others), and who was our program's Assistant Program Director before she recently decided to leave us and take a job working somewhere else. If I were to limit my submission to only 3 letters, which one should I leave out? I know that #1 and #3 are required by most programs. I imagine that a letter from #2 probably carries more weight than a letter from #4, given the writer's position, but writer #4 also held a significant position at our institution and she knows me pretty well.

I just certified my application this weekend. Still waiting on my LOR authors to upload their letters, but from what I read here it seems that I can go ahead and apply to programs without the letters (and assign them to programs later), right? And speaking of LORs, I have noticed that most programs request 3 letters, including one by the program director. However, at least one program I am applying to requests 3 letters in addition to the PD letter, for a total of 4 letters. I wonder, if the other programs only request 3 letters, would it be bad to send them all four of my letters? I kind of feel like if I have someone write a letter, I might as well get the most out of it that I can, and let programs see what four physicians think of me instead of just three. However, I also don't want to run the risk of being seen as someone who can't follow directions, by sending them an extra letter and giving them 33% more to read. What do you think?

As far as my letter writers are concerned, I have the following: 1) Program Director. 2) Department Chair. 3) Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist. 4) General Psychiatrist with whom I worked for several months over the past two years (and who therefore probably knows me better than any of the others), and who was our program's Assistant Program Director before she recently decided to leave us and take a job working somewhere else. If I were to limit my submission to only 3 letters, which one should I leave out? I know that #1 and #3 are required by most programs. I imagine that a letter from #2 probably carries more weight than a letter from #4, given the writer's position, but writer #4 also held a significant position at our institution and she knows me pretty well.

I think you should definitely send everybody four letters - thing is, some programs see the 'program director' letter as being a separate kind of letter, and don't count it as one of the three letters. Some program websites actually say "3 letters plus program director letter". I don't think there is harm in sending 4 letters to everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone applying to the Mayo Clinic or to the University of Iowa?

Just a general question for those applying this cycle - how many programs are you applying to? Is there a safe number for CAP? I am aware that there are usually more spots than applicants, but would prefer avoiding a scramble/SOAP process. Thanks in advance.

At my program it is said that most CAP applicants in the past matched at their first or second choice. Just last year, two of our residents applied and both got their top choice at well-known programs. So far I've applied to seven, but I might as well choose three more because there is no extra charge for up to ten. I don't think I'll apply to more than ten, and I probably won't go to more than five or six interviews.

I applied to 14, but honestly don't think I'll do more than 5 or 6 interviews. I applied widely because I had a red flag, am a PGY-4, and am geographically restricted.

Anybody have any updates? It seems as if the interview handouts are a little lethargic....Or maybe it's my application. :wideyed:

I haven't received a single invite yet, but my application was only recently submitted, and I'm still waiting for my LOR authors to write and upload their letters. And unfortunately, a couple of them have gone on vacation, and writing a LOR is probably not at the top of their vacation to-do lists. At least my PD got his uploaded, so that's a start!

I wonder how selective the typical program is about handing out interviews. According to FREIDA Online, it appears that some programs interviewed as many as a couple dozen last year, while others could have counted the number of their interviewees on one hand. Some of this may be dependent on the size of a program, and some of it on the popularity of a program, but in general it seemed like most programs last year interviewed between two to five times as many applicants as they had slots available.

Anybody have any updates? It seems as if the interview handouts are a little lethargic....Or maybe it's my application. :wideyed:

I got an invite from Columbia and MGH. With Yale those were the only places I applied so I'm all done with invites.

I'm surprised by how early the interview dates are - all of the available dates for those programs were in early to middle September. Maybe they have more that they release later on?

Haven't heard back and it's been several weeks since I submitted. Was getting worried that my application just sucks, but I hope that places are just slow...

I got an invite from MGH and UCLA. Anyone else hear from other California Programs?

Haven't heard back and it's been several weeks since I submitted. Was getting worried that my application just sucks, but I hope that places are just slow...
No Worries. One of the program just downloaded my application a couple days ago. I just heard back from Northwestern in Chicago! My program still has not sent out interview invites and the fellowship program coordinator told me it was still very early in the process.

If I'm going to be in a certain geographic area but haven't yet heard from a few programs that I'm interested in that area, would it be OK to e-mail them and let them know I'll be around? I'd state that I'm not presuming that they'll give me an interview, but if they did I'd appreciate it to save on flight $$$.

Hope this week brings more interview news for all of us!

If I'm going to be in a certain geographic area but haven't yet heard from a few programs that I'm interested in that area, would it be OK to e-mail them and let them know I'll be around? I'd state that I'm not presuming that they'll give me an interview, but if they did I'd appreciate it to save on flight $$$.

Hope this week brings more interview news for all of us!

I did this during the adult residency match - nothing came of it, but nothing bad happened either!

Hey Guys, any word yet? This process seems relatively sluggish to general adult interviews.

I've had offers trickle in throughout August. I know I had friends last year who got the bulk of their invites in September though.

Edited for accuracy.

I have not heard from any of the three California programs that I applied to.

Rookie questions guys. Are yall assuming all programs are doing 3 LORS? I'm working on my profile and creating slots for the letters and it appears the letter must be from one of 2 sources, a program director or a department chair. What about just regular attendings we have worked with. How do I create a slot for their letters.

Rookie questions guys. Are yall assuming all programs are doing 3 LORS? I'm working on my profile and creating slots for the letters and it appears the letter must be from one of 2 sources, a program director or a department chair. What about just regular attendings we have worked with. How do I create a slot for their letters.
Most programs require 3 letters, with one being from a program director. Be aware that some may require a total of 4 letters; this would likely be specified on their website or they'll let you know via email when you apply to their program. On ERAS it does allow you to indicate whether your LoR author is a program director or department chair, but you are not required to check either box if it doesn't apply. For your regular attendings I would just state their role in the LoR Author Title / Department section, with something like "Attending Physician / Psychiatry". You can create as many slots for letter writers as you wish, but you can only upload a maximum of 4 letters per program.

Got an invite from Stanford, no word from UCSF or UCLA. Anyone else?