Child Psych Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UMD-Sheph, Jefferson, Hopkins (Yes) and Brown (No). Here...

I guess Stanford is holding on to my completed application just in case they have to say yes if they cant fill up their interview dates with more high yield applicants.

I'm well aware of the opposite coastal discrimination policy.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got rejected at a program I didn't even want to go to... and all of a sudden I decided I did want to go there. Hmph! Who gets rejected anyway? Womp womp....

Anyone been on an interview yet or are yall still getting invites and setting up dates? I'm in a different fellowship now and I am having trouble coordinating with my old program to get my application together since I got started so late. Please PM me if anyone interviews at the Chicago programs (UIC, OofC, Rush or Northwestern) or MUSC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just scheduled my first interview today. Haven't been invited by other programs yet, but I'm still waiting for a couple of LORs to get submitted.

UMD-Sheph, Jefferson, Hopkins (Yes) and Brown (No). Here...

I guess Stanford is holding on to my completed application just in case they have to say yes if they cant fill up their interview dates with more high yield applicants.

I'm well aware of the opposite coastal discrimination policy.:(

Update, add Cambridge Health Alliance and Stanford to the interview list. No more rejections is a good sign.

Can anyone comment on the quality of Northwestern and Rush for child and adolescent fellowship? I think Northwestern has the better name maybe, but otherwise I don't know much about these fellowships. Any advice?

I hear Northwestern's Program provides an interesting slice of child training because the quality of parents (and therefore patients) is high. For example, less missed appts, more receptive to treatment options, no need for concerns about financials. I'm sure others will note the obvious, that this may limit one's training experience by not reinforcing the need to learn diverse models of care. I use the term "interesting" because I suspect that the above traits are fairly uncommon.

I've heard nothing about Rush. On a superficial level, this is not a good sign in a world where the training quality curve is rather flattened (CAP Fellowships). Regardless of my ignorance, I'm sure they have been and will be a great fit for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Too late to expect any more interview invites at this point?

No. I applied really late so I'm just getting my invites now. Just email if you are wondering. People are pretty receptive to this.

I got my most recent invite earlier this week. First interview tomorrow. Stupidly, it's my number 1 right now. Someone give me anonymous internet validation! STAT

Also, my PD compared me to a black hole in his recommendation letter, and my main outpatient attending told me he thought about sabotaging my application. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Last edited:
I'm all done with interviews - glad to say I thought all the programs I interviewed at (Columbia/Cornell; Yale; MGH-McLean) appeared to offer great opportunities. In the end my choice came down to where I thought I would have the best academic opportunities and work-life balance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got interview invitations to UIC, Northwestern, Rush, University of Chicago, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota, University of Iowa, UAMS, Scott and White, and University of Colorado. Most recent interview was offered a couple of days ago.

Too late to expect any more interview invites at this point?
I just received 3 new invites this week, most recent one was today. So far I'm looking at Texas A&M, UTMB, UTSW Dallas and Austin, and Indiana. I applied to three others (Utah, San Antonio, and Palmetto) so we'll see what happens. I had thought about applying to a couple more, since there's no extra charge for up to 10, but at this point I think I'm happy with what I've got. The hard part will be sorting my rank list - there are so many reasons I like each program but for different reasons!

First interview tomorrow. Stupidly, it's my number 1 right now. Someone give me anonymous internet validation! STAT
I hope your visit went well!

Wooh. 4 interviews, 10 days. That was...fun. I know they say everyone matches, but the numbers don't really seem that pretty from where I stand. On average they seemed to be interviewing darn near 10 per slot (after adjusting for internal candidates).

Also, I interviewed at some places that pre-match and some that only do match. That could get complicated.

Wooh. 4 interviews, 10 days. That was...fun. I know they say everyone matches, but the numbers don't really seem that pretty from where I stand. On average they seemed to be interviewing darn near 10 per slot (after adjusting for internal candidates).

Also, I interviewed at some places that pre-match and some that only do match. That could get complicated.

What were the programs that were pre-matching?

If the trend you describe is true across the board, it might actually end up being a competitive year for Child Psych match?

I hear average is about 7 interviews per applicants, which seems like a lot to me. Don't think matching is as easy as the numbers seem to suggest, or at least for me because of a few issues beyond my control.

Scuttlebutt is that applications are WAY up. This was mentioned offhandedly at EVERY program I've interviewed at so far.

It seems there are way more applicants this year then last year. I was under the impression that if you are going through the match then you were not supposed to do pre-match offers. Can someone clarify this for me? What is the recommended way to ask if a program offers pre-match positions? Do you ask on the day of the interview or do you wait till afterwards?

I heard some complaining that some programs were all in until the moment before the lists were due, and then went all out after finding enough “birds in the hand”. This kind of flies in the face of the spirit of the new rules, but isn’t technically a violation. The system remains far from perfect, but I think the all in policy works well for controlling the behavior of larger programs, but it is still the Wild West for small programs. Fellowships that have one or two spots will probably never come into the same level of restrictions. Addiction, geri, forensics, these will probably always remain an offer and a hand shake.

Some programs are all in and some are all out. Pre-match is of course accepted if you're all-out of the match. Some programs sign up for the match, then bow out if they get enough pre-matches in time. Some (like the place I interviewed at) do not enter the match at all.

Child Psych isn't filling their slots. Can't blame the smaller programs for doing what they have to do.

Is there a deadline by when a program who is not in the match needs to let the applicants know their decision? Is it before the rank list opens or is it only before the rank list submission deadline?

I can't be the only one who notices that every year the programs (and/or applicants) say that "things are getting more competitive"...Just drives up the price and keeps the product (or in this case, likelihood of match) almost exactly the same...

I can't be the only one who notices that every year the programs (and/or applicants) say that "things are getting more competitive"...Just drives up the price and keeps the product (or in this case, likelihood of match) almost exactly the same...

I think it's more of the better programs are getting more of the better applicants through Internet, word of mouth, etc advertising and the fact that more US medical schools are expanding without additional residency slots.

Other programs just say this to make applicants feel they are in an elite group. Everyone wants what they can't have.