Chinese Physician Looking to Practice in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDingo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A close friend of mine is Chinese (not American) and studying medicine in China. She would like to come to work in the US upon completing her education. I understand that she would have to take the USMLE and complete an American residency before being allowed to practice, but what I don't know is which degrees exactly are recognized in the US. The standard practicing physician's degree in China, as I understand it, would be the Doctor of Clinical Medicine (DCM). She, however, is currently pursuing the Doctor of Medicine (DM) degree, which is more focused on research. Does anyone have experience with this or know if the DM degree would allow her to take the USMLE and obtain a residency?

One secondary complication is that she is studying dermatology. She has very good test scores, but I suspect it will be difficult for a foreigner to match into dermatology. Unfortunately, their specialization takes place during the training for the degree rather than after, so she can't just skip a redundant Chinese residency. She has stated, though, that she would prefer practicing any specialty in America to practicing dermatology in China.

If anyone is or has the email address of a Chinese physician in America that would be willing to give some advice, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you!

Members don't see this ad.

A close friend of mine is Chinese (not American) and studying medicine in China. She would like to come to work in the US upon completing her education. I understand that she would have to take the USMLE and complete an American residency before being allowed to practice, but what I don't know is which degrees exactly are recognized in the US. The standard practicing physician's degree in China, as I understand it, would be the Doctor of Clinical Medicine (DCM). She, however, is currently pursuing the Doctor of Medicine (DM) degree, which is more focused on research. Does anyone have experience with this or know if the DM degree would allow her to take the USMLE and obtain a residency?

One secondary complication is that she is studying dermatology. She has very good test scores, but I suspect it will be difficult for a foreigner to match into dermatology. Unfortunately, their specialization takes place during the training for the degree rather than after, so she can't just skip a redundant Chinese residency. She has stated, though, that she would prefer practicing any specialty in America to practicing dermatology in China.

If anyone is or has the email address of a Chinese physician in America that would be willing to give some advice, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you!
She will not match dermatology, that's just not going to happen, but she would stand a chance at some other specialties. To determine whether she's eligible to practice, I'd need to know her school and the cross-reference it with some other things.

Here's the ECFMG info page and the World Directory of Medical Schools:

http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requirements-for-certification.html
http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/eligibility-for-examination.html
http://www.wdoms.org/

Reactions: 1 user