chiro school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get into chiropractic college??
I am going to apply to the CMCC intoronto, Logan and probably National.
I have about a 74-75% avrg. What are the usual entering class grades? any thoughts our answers wold be great

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When I started chiro school in the late 90's, it was fairly difficult to get into CMCC and way too easy to get into any chiro school in the U.S. We had quite a number of Canadians attending SCUHS/LACC because they couldn't get into CMCC.

jesse14 said:
How hard is it to get into chiropractic college??
I am going to apply to the CMCC intoronto, Logan and probably National.
I have about a 74-75% avrg. What are the usual entering class grades? any thoughts our answers wold be great

Thanks
No offense Jesse but I would want my "doctor" to be right more than 75% of the time. Its time that DC gets serious about some admission standards.

Members don't see this ad :)
truthseeker said:
No offense Jesse but I would want my "doctor" to be right more than 75% of the time. Its time that DC gets serious about some admission standards.
I find it interesting that you would equate a 75% avrg with being "write or wrong" 75% of the time. You have no idea what my circumstances are and why i have a B+ avrg (which i don't believe is bad at all). I may have bomed a 50% eassy in my 3rd english class which has nothing to do with being "write or wrong". Also, unless your MD or DC tells you what grades they got in Med school, you really have no idea. They may have been C+ or B students in med school and got lucky to got a less competitive residency. You just don't know, all you know is that they have the credentials to be your doctor. I have contaced a few chiro schools and they all require the 2.5 GPA which is a B- (around a 70-73% avrg--Maybe even less). Also, the interview weights just as much as the grades and im very confident that I will have a great interview because I believe I have much more knowledge about chiropractic than most other applicants. My father has been a chiro for 25 years so i've been around it my whole life. I've been to many Ontario Chiropractic Association confrences and I have been using chiropractic for my LB pain for a long time as well. Most applicans havn't even been to a chiropractor to get adjusted.
You should just know that have an A+ or 4.0 avrg does NOT make you a better doctor. There are So many other things involved that i'm sure you are aware of.
Thank you all very much

Reactions: 1 users
jesse14 said:
I find it interesting that you would equate a 75% avrg with being "write or wrong" 75% of the time. You have no idea what my circumstances are and why i have a B+ avrg (which i don't believe is bad at all). I may have bomed a 50% eassy in my 3rd english class which has nothing to do with being "write or wrong". Also, unless your MD or DC tells you what grades they got in Med school, you really have no idea. They may have been C+ or B students in med school and got lucky to got a less competitive residency. You just don't know, all you know is that they have the credentials to be your doctor. I have contaced a few chiro schools and they all require the 2.5 GPA which is a B- (around a 70-73% avrg--Maybe even less). Also, the interview weights just as much as the grades and im very confident that I will have a great interview because I believe I have much more knowledge about chiropractic than most other applicants. My father has been a chiro for 25 years so i've been around it my whole life. I've been to many Ontario Chiropractic Association confrences and I have been using chiropractic for my LB pain for a long time as well. Most applicans havn't even been to a chiropractor to get adjusted.
You should just know that have an A+ or 4.0 avrg does NOT make you a better doctor. There are So many other things involved that i'm sure you are aware of.
Thank you all very much

A couple of things stand out regarding your last post. First of all, you have been treating your LBP for a long time with chiropractic. what does that tell you about the overall effectiveness of chiro? Secondly, if Chiros want to be primary care "doctors" and claim that they can effectively screen for medical problems, how can someone with a 2.5 gpa (demonstrating academic skills just above average) be expected to differentiate LBP from facet arthritis vs a disk injury vs kidney stone vs something more ominous and refer appropriately.

My point was that medical school average entry GPA is 3.56, OD school 3.3, DO school 3.26, Dental 3.13, podiatry 3.06, and DC 2.9. (Doxey TT, Phillips RB. Comparison of entrance requirements for health care professions. Journal of Manipulative and Phsiological Therapeutics 20:86-91,1997)

Those grades do not mean everything and as you said, there are below average students that get into and pass all of those programs. BUT the below average DC student is barely above a C average, and perhaps not even that since there are certainly those with 4.0 averages.

I agree with AWDC. CMCC is competitive but also is a good school. Basically, in the states, if you have a spine and the money, you're in. I think the GPA is 2.5 and there are a few schools that require 3.0. Some schools require an undergrad degree and others do not. Basically the schools that do not require undergrad degree do require 2 years premed.

A couple of things stand out regarding your last post. First of all, you have been treating your LBP for a long time with chiropractic. what does that tell you about the overall effectiveness of chiro?

It tells me that chiropractic helps. She can either see the chiropractor every so often or she can have a prescription for Vioxx and hope she doesn't end up dead. Or maybe she will elect to have surgery and be worse off.

Secondly, if Chiros want to be primary care "doctors" and claim that they can effectively screen for medical problems, how can someone with a 2.5 gpa (demonstrating academic skills just above average) be expected to differentiate LBP from facet arthritis vs a disk injury vs kidney stone vs something more ominous and refer appropriately.

You need to watch the apprentice "book smart against street smarts". The street smarts have three times the net worth of the book smarts and they lead in wins. Now how can the people with no degree and who dropped out of high school be so successful? They are up against people who have very good educations from various schools like Harvard. I'm sure they had outstanding GPA's. Having a great GPA is important with reason, but isn't everything. My father-in-law is a rocket scientist, he has degree(s) in chemistry, and he has an undergraduate degree and a master's degree in chemical engineering from Washington University in St. Louis. This is no easy school regardless of degree. In fact, they have one of the best medical schools in the US. Anyway, he is a brilliant man, he worked for NASA for years, he helped design Skylab, and he designed rockets, commercial jet engines and various missiles such as the Tomahawk and the Patriot missile defense system. Basically he is a very smart. That is, he is book smart. When it comes to common sense the guy is dangerous. He could probably do differential equations in his head but has no clue as to how to change a light bulb. The man would watch my kids from time to time. I would come home on a hot day and he would have the air conditioner on, but left all the windows open and wonders why it's hot. My point again, being book smart or having a stellar GPA isn't everything.

Even though the GPA for entrance to chiropractic school may be weak, that doesn't mean that everyone who enters has the minimal GPA. Chiropractors can't be primary care physicians. There is no way we can function in that capacity without a larger scope of treatment options.

If medical schools put less emphasis on GPA and more on individuality, we would have better doctors. Very seldom do you find a medical doctor that is down to earth, easy going or has a good bedside manner. Some seem kind of stuck-up to me. They think they are better than everyone else because they went to medical school. The practice of medicine does require some book smarts; it also requires other things like talent. You can have a guy that has a 4.0 in medical school who can't make it as a surgeon because he lacks the talent to do the surgery.

Most non-quack DCs advertise themselves as neuromusculoskeletal doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating NMS conditions. I have no idea how well DCs are trained in recognizing medical conditions. My understanding (based on previous posts on chiropractic) is that they are trained well.

In response to the original question, the Chiropractic Council on Education has determined minimum admissions requirements for all chiropractic colleges in North America. For specifics, here are websites describing pre-requisites for each of the schools you noted:

CMCC: http://www.cmcc.ca/admissions/apply.htm#Requirements

Logan: http://www.logan.edu/pages/prostudent_precourse.asp

National: http://www.nuhs.edu/admissions/requirements.html

truthseeker said:
My point was that medical school average entry GPA is 3.56, OD school 3.3, DO school 3.26, Dental 3.13, podiatry 3.06, and DC 2.9. (Doxey TT, Phillips RB. Comparison of entrance requirements for health care professions. Journal of Manipulative and Phsiological Therapeutics 20:86-91,1997)

Those grades do not mean everything and as you said, there are below average students that get into and pass all of those programs. BUT the below average DC student is barely above a C average, and perhaps not even that since there are certainly those with 4.0 averages.

Hmmmmm, where I come from, 74-75 is right in the middle of the C's. Ya know, 90-100=A, 80-89=B 70-79=C. There is no way that would equate even a C+ in most places, much less your claim that that that represents a B+ average. That's truly laughable. Hell, when I was in high school, a 74 would have been a D.

If you're happy being "average", good luck making it in the real world. If your patients see you as only average, you'll have a tough time.

jwk said:
Hmmmmm, where I come from, 74-75 is right in the middle of the C's. Ya know, 90-100=A, 80-89=B 70-79=C. There is no way that would equate even a C+ in most places, much less your claim that that that represents a B+ average. That's truly laughable. Hell, when I was in high school, a 74 would have been a D.

If you're happy being "average", good luck making it in the real world. If your patients see you as only average, you'll have a tough time.

Dude, you're a friggin' Anesthesiologist Assistant! Understandably, you must have some ego concerns since you're trying to denigrate a decades-old doctoral healthcare profession. Piss off and go pass gas in the OR. Please don't vent your frustration on students interested in pursuing a career in chiropractic. It's not his/her fault that you settled for a mid-level career and that they want to pursue a doctoral degree in something they're passionate about.

By the way, Emory's Anesthesiologist Assistant program -- the program from which YOU graduated -- accepted students with GPAs ranging from 2.65 to 4.00 in 2002 (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...ry+anesthesiologist+assistant+admission&hl=en), so there are plenty of "average" folks in this lot. What does that say about their success in the "real world?" And what were your undergrade and graduate GPAs, Mr. "Chief Anesthetist?"

jwk said:

I duuno about all your schools and what not, but my high school and university both go by the following grade distribution system:
A+ = 90-100
A= 80-89.9
B+= 75-79.9
B=70-74.9
C+=65-69.9
C=60-64.9
and so on and so forth.
As for being "average"; all i have to say is that i feel sorry for you if you equate grades and making it in the "real world" as the only determing factor. And you find it laughable that a 75 would be a B+ hear in Ontario?? Welll i guess you're laughing at every university in Canada then because they all follow similar grading schemes. If you think your above us then i guess you have some sort of ego complex or what not. How can you say that haveing a 75% avrg would cause me trouble in the real world?? There is SO much more to life than having amazing grades!! I really don't feel like giving you life lesons considering you have finished school and i'm only a 3rd year Kinesiology and health science major. I do NOT consider a 75% avrg as being an avrg student. I consistentley do better than the class avrg on all my exams and we have classes of 300-400 students. I am proud of my marks and who the hell are you so belittle them. I feel that people on this forum should be respectfull and nice to one another, but i guess you're too good for all of that; what with your Anethisiology assistant degree. I only came here to ask a questions and not to compare grading schemes with you. If it makes you feel better that you had higher standards than all the power to you buddy boy.

AS for the guy who said chiro doesn't work...... i would have to disagree 100%!! I much rather see my dad every so often when my back hurts so he can fix the actual problem as aposed to taking pain killers that mess up my liver and only mask the problem. Chiropractic works!! Why would it be the 2nd leading health care profession behind medicine if it didn't?? Give people credit man! They wouldn't continue to do something if they didn't see improvements!

Now, i CAN'T wait untill i get into chiro school (CMCC my 1st choice) so i can learn everythng I can about the profession so i can further the great aspects of chiropractic medicine.

Thank you all very much
PS BACKTALK RULES!

PublicHealth said:
Dude, you're a friggin' Anesthesiologist Assistant! Understandably, you must have some ego concerns since you're trying to denigrate a decades-old doctoral healthcare profession. Piss off and go pass gas in the OR. Please don't vent your frustration on students interested in pursuing a career in chiropractic. It's not his/her fault that you settled for a mid-level career and that they want to pursue a doctoral degree in something they're passionate about.

By the way, Emory's Anesthesiologist Assistant program -- the program from which YOU graduated -- accepted students with GPAs ranging from 2.65 to 4.00 in 2002 (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...ry+anesthesiologist+assistant+admission&hl=en), so there are plenty of "average" folks in this lot. What does that say about their success in the "real world?" And what were your undergrade and graduate GPAs, Mr. "Chief Anesthetist?"

PH, you already know how I feel about chirporactic. I'm not venting any frustrations. I'm very happy working in the world of real medicine. And I see that "friggin" is apparently one of your favorite words to describe those you don't agree with. I've come across it several times in your 1000+ posts.

And congrats on being able to search the web and read a profile. Your's is still totally empty after 1000+ posts.

Chiropractic or otherwise, I'm just amazed at any grading system that equates mid-70's as a B, and still considers a 60 to be a C. That's a failing grade by any elementary, middle, high school, or college standards in the U.S. Do you not agree with that?

BackTalk said:
I agree with AWDC. CMCC is competitive but also is a good school. Basically, in the states, if you have a spine and the money, you're in. I think the GPA is 2.5 and there are a few schools that require 3.0. Some schools require an undergrad degree and others do not. Basically the schools that do not require undergrad degree do require 2 years premed.

A couple of things stand out regarding your last post. First of all, you have been treating your LBP for a long time with chiropractic. what does that tell you about the overall effectiveness of chiro?

It tells me that chiropractic helps. She can either see the chiropractor every so often or she can have a prescription for Vioxx and hope she doesn't end up dead. Or maybe she will elect to have surgery and be worse off.

Secondly, if Chiros want to be primary care "doctors" and claim that they can effectively screen for medical problems, how can someone with a 2.5 gpa (demonstrating academic skills just above average) be expected to differentiate LBP from facet arthritis vs a disk injury vs kidney stone vs something more ominous and refer appropriately.

You need to watch the apprentice "book smart against street smarts". The street smarts have three times the net worth of the book smarts and they lead in wins. Now how can the people with no degree and who dropped out of high school be so successful? They are up against people who have very good educations from various schools like Harvard. I'm sure they had outstanding GPA's. Having a great GPA is important with reason, but isn't everything. My father-in-law is a rocket scientist, he has degree(s) in chemistry, and he has an undergraduate degree and a master's degree in chemical engineering from Washington University in St. Louis. This is no easy school regardless of degree. In fact, they have one of the best medical schools in the US. Anyway, he is a brilliant man, he worked for NASA for years, he helped design Skylab, and he designed rockets, commercial jet engines and various missiles such as the Tomahawk and the Patriot missile defense system. Basically he is a very smart. That is, he is book smart. When it comes to common sense the guy is dangerous. He could probably do differential equations in his head but has no clue as to how to change a light bulb. The man would watch my kids from time to time. I would come home on a hot day and he would have the air conditioner on, but left all the windows open and wonders why it's hot. My point again, being book smart or having a stellar GPA isn't everything.

Even though the GPA for entrance to chiropractic school may be weak, that doesn't mean that everyone who enters has the minimal GPA. Chiropractors can't be primary care physicians. There is no way we can function in that capacity without a larger scope of treatment options.

If medical schools put less emphasis on GPA and more on individuality, we would have better doctors. Very seldom do you find a medical doctor that is down to earth, easy going or has a good bedside manner. Some seem kind of stuck-up to me. They think they are better than everyone else because they went to medical school. The practice of medicine does require some book smarts; it also requires other things like talent. You can have a guy that has a 4.0 in medical school who can't make it as a surgeon because he lacks the talent to do the surgery.

I agree that GPA is not the be-all end-all of determining if someone is fit to fill a position, however, you have to agree that a certain degree of academic success is a good screening tool. If you have not demonstrated that you know anatomy or physiology or kinesiology in class, what is there to make me think you can differentiate one movement dysfunction from another.
You can't seriously compare "the Apprentice" to healthcare. If there is failure in the business world, you go bankrupt and start again. If there is failure in health care, your patient may suffer irrevocable harm or death.

I absolutely agree that there are real idiots with 4.0s, but you have to determine academic achievement somehow. Talent without training is useless.

I am not saying that because the average entry GPA is weak that all chiro students are weak. On the contrary, it just means that roughly half of the students admitted are below the average. And since some are excellent (higher GPAs) there are an equal number that are at the other end of the spectrum. My contention is that if the standards of the schools were raised, the lower end would move upwards and your profession and the public at large would be better protected against the idiots that get accepted and go out in the world and espouse things that reasonable chiropractors, with a sense of evidence based practice are embarrassed of.

jesse14 said:
I duuno about all your schools and what not, but my high school and university both go by the following grade distribution system:
A+ = 90-100
A= 80-89.9
B+= 75-79.9
B=70-74.9
C+=65-69.9
C=60-64.9
and so on and so forth.
As for being "average"; all i have to say is that i feel sorry for you if you equate grades and making it in the "real world" as the only determing factor. And you find it laughable that a 75 would be a B+ hear in Ontario?? Welll i guess you're laughing at every university in Canada then because they all follow similar grading schemes. If you think your above us then i guess you have some sort of ego complex or what not. How can you say that haveing a 75% avrg would cause me trouble in the real world?? There is SO much more to life than having amazing grades!! I really don't feel like giving you life lesons considering you have finished school and i'm only a 3rd year Kinesiology and health science major. I do NOT consider a 75% avrg as being an avrg student. I consistentley do better than the class avrg on all my exams and we have classes of 300-400 students. I am proud of my marks and who the hell are you so belittle them. I feel that people on this forum should be respectfull and nice to one another, but i guess you're too good for all of that; what with your Anethisiology assistant degree. I only came here to ask a questions and not to compare grading schemes with you. If it makes you feel better that you had higher standards than all the power to you buddy boy.

AS for the guy who said chiro doesn't work...... i would have to disagree 100%!! I much rather see my dad every so often when my back hurts so he can fix the actual problem as aposed to taking pain killers that mess up my liver and only mask the problem. Chiropractic works!! Why would it be the 2nd leading health care profession behind medicine if it didn't?? Give people credit man! They wouldn't continue to do something if they didn't see improvements!

Now, i CAN'T wait untill i get into chiro school (CMCC my 1st choice) so i can learn everythng I can about the profession so i can further the great aspects of chiropractic medicine.

Thank you all very much
PS BACKTALK RULES!

So, learning 75% of the material you are presented is considered above average? That says a lot about the quality of the students you are attending school with. Or else, your program is so difficult that even geniuses struggle.

If chiropractic worked so well, you would have learned how to treat yourself and make it less likely to return in the future. So either you have a disaster of a spine, or you are treating the symptoms until they go away, then waiting for them to return so that you can treat them again. That is no different from pain pills except for the liver part.

I notice that your posts are littered with spelling errors, could that be the reason you only get 75%?

truthseeker said:
So, learning 75% of the material you are presented is considered above average? That says a lot about the quality of the students you are attending school with.

I notice that your posts are littered with spelling errors, could that be the reason you only get 75%?

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.