Chiropractic in 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MANOFKRYPTON

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been lurking and reading for a few weeks now, and decided to sign up!

I know the general view of SDN about Chiropractic, but a lot of threads are old and in my opinion a lot has/is happening for/with chiropractic. Here is some updated (2014) information about Chiropractic education and opportunities.

2014 ACCEPTANCE REQUIREMENTS:Chiropractic schools now require a minimum of a 2.75 GPA & 90 credit hours, but there are caveats to this. For the college I am going to (Texas Chiropractic College which is a mixer school and not a straight), anything under a 3.0 and only 90 credit hours will not get you in full time. From my experience and what I was told, 90 credit hours and anything under a 3.0 generally will not get you accepted. A Bachelors degree with a lower GPA may get you accepted, but you will have your first trimester split. The split is to help the student get used to the course work. But a 3.0 GPA and 90 credit hours will generally get you accepted, and if it is they are accepted full time. There is still no entrance exam like the MCAT or DAT.

Here is a list of classes required for Chiropractic Colleges-
General Biology, Anatomy, Physiology, Zoology, General or Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology.
Coursework in Kinesiology and Exercises Science will be considered upon evaluation of a course description. Of the 24 hours of life and physical sciences, half must have a substantive laboratory component.

*Here is an article explaining the raise in GPA and studies done concerning varying levels of GPA for Chiropractic Colleges https://www.nuhs.edu/news/2011/1/gpa-requirement-raised-for-dc-degree-program/

2014 COURSE WORK: (From Texas Chiropractic College for a D.C. Degree)
Trimester-1
AN1330 Spinal Anatomy
AN1441 Histology
AN1746 Gross Anatomy & Embryology I
CH1110 Chiropractic Paradigm
CH1213 Palpation I
CM1550 Human Biochemistry

Trimester-2
AN2746 Gross Anatomy & Embryology II
CH2213 Palpation II
CH2220 Spinal Biomechanics
CP2220 Basic Communication & History Taking
MB2330 General Microbiology
PA2330 General Pathology
PH2762 Cellular, Muscle, Cardiovascular & Respiratory Physiology

Trimester-3
AN3441 Human Neuroanatomy
CH3213 Adjusting Procedures I
CH3220 Lower Extremity Biomechanics
CP3220 Fundamentals of Clinical Reasoning
DI3220 Physics Principles of Diagnostic Imaging
MB3440 Pathogenic Microbiology
PA3330 Systems Pathology I
PH3762 Genitourinary, Gastroenteric, Endocrine & Neurophysiology

Trimester-4
CH4220 Upper Extremity Biomechanics
CH4314 Adjusting Procedures II
CP4110 Dermatology
CP4220 Advanced Communication & History Taking Skills
CP4330NT Nutrition I
CP4543 Physical Examination & Diagnosis
DI4322 Introduction to Imaging Interpretation
EP4110Information Literacy in Health Sciences(Course resumes in Summer 2015)
PA4330 Systems Pathology II

Trimester-5
CH5314 Adjusting Procedures III
CH5433 Orthopedics I
CP5220.CP Clinical Psychology
CP5220.TP Toxicology & Pharmacology
CP5221.SA Senior Adult Health & Wellness
CP5441 Women's & Children's Health
DI5433 Imaging Interpretation I
EP5220 Principles of Evidence-Based Practice

Trimester-6
CH6102 Soft Tissue Mobilization
CH6213 Adjusting Procedures IV
CH6220 Hypotheses and Basic Science Concepts in Chiropractic
CH6322 Orthopedics II
CP6212 Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
CP6220 Applied Clinical Reasoning
CP6330.ID Internal Diagnosis I
CP6330.NT Nutrition II
CP6542 Clinical Neurology
DI6103 X-Ray Positioning

Trimester-7
CH7220 Case Management
CH7220.PR Theoretic Models & Applied Principles in Chiropractic
CL7409 Clinic I
CP7220 Health Promotion in Clinical Practice
CP7330 Clinical Laboratory Diagnosis
CP7323 Rehabilitation & Active Care
CP7330.ID Internal Diagnosis II
DI7322 Imaging Interpretation II

Trimester-8

CH8110 Health Care Ethics
CH8110CAM Intro to Complimentary & Alternative Medicine
CH8440 Differential Diagnosis and Management
CH8550 Business Law, Practice Management & Insurance
CL812020 Clinic II (15 weeks)
CP8220 Emergency Procedures
EP8110 Applied Research Methods

Trimester-9
CL912020 Clinic III (17 weeks)

Trimester-10
CL1012020 Clinic IV (17 weeks)

2014 DEGREES AVAILABLE: At Texas Chiropractic College one can recieve a Bachelors of Science in Biology from TCC, and a Doctor of Chiropractic Degree. Texas Chiropractic College has the option to get a Masters of Science in Biology or Human Performance form the University of Houston Clear Lake. Here are the requirements for either degree

MS in Biology

Texas Chiropractic College (TCC) and the University of Houston - Clear Lake (UHCL) have established a cooperative DC/MS degree program. Students meeting the requirements (see below) may apply to enter the cooperative DC/MS program. This program provides students with the opportunity to earn a clinical doctorate degree while gaining theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the biological sciences. Students wishing to participate in this cooperative program must be accepted into both the TCC DC program and the graduate program in Biological Sciences at UHCL. Upon completion of the cooperative program the degrees of Doctor of Chiropractic and Masters of Science in Biology will be conferred by the Texas Chiropractic College and UHCL, respectively. Link- http://www.txchiro.edu/academics/dual-degree-program/biology

MS in Fitness and Human Performance
Qualifying students may choose to apply for and enter the Joint Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), Master of Science (MS) at the Texas Chiropractic College and University of Houston - Clear Lake. The DC and MS degrees are conferred by the TCC and UHCL, respectively. Entry into the program requires independent university acceptance by the admissions office and acceptance into the Fitness and Human Performance Program. Completion of the joint program will provide students with an opportunity to earn a clinical doctorate degree while gaining theoretical knowledge and practical field experience in exercise/sports science. Link- http://www.txchiro.edu/academics/dual-degree-program/fitness-a-human-performance

2014 RESIDENCY OPPORTUNITIES FOR CHIROPRACTORS: (Yes there are some available)

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) conducts the country’s largest healthcare provider clinical
training program. In July 2014, VA will initiate chiropractic residency training programs at five VA
medical centers. The focus of these programs is Integrated Clinical Practice, with training emphasizing the provision of chiropractic care in an integrated healthcare system, collaborating with primary care
Patient Aligned Care Teams (PACTs), specialty care, and other medical and associated health providers and trainees. Link- http://www.stlouis.va.gov/careers/ChiropracticResidencyProgramsFactSheet.pdf

Chiropractic radiology is a specialty within the chiropractic profession that concentrates its efforts in the area of imaging study interpretation. The program of instruction is a three-year, full-time course of study devoted to the discipline of radiology and includes academic, clinical, and scholarly components. The Residency provides advanced educational training to qualified, licensed Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) in diagnostic imaging in accordance with the standards established by the American College of Chiropractic Radiology (ACCR) and the American Chiropractic Board of Radiology (ACBR). The prescribed course of study is designed to prepare the resident to sit for diplomate examination by the American Chiropractic Board of Radiology (ACBR), an independent testing body. Link- https://www.accr.org/Residencies/Program-Info.aspx

A Chiropractor can also complete a full three year residency in Neurology if he/she wishes to. Link- http://www.acnb.org/About/MissionStatement.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I have been lurking and reading for a few weeks now, and decided to sign up!

I know the general view of SDN about Chiropractic, but a lot of threads are old and in my opinion a lot has/is happening for/with chiropractic. Here is some updated (2014) information about Chiropractic education and opportunities.

Oh good.

A lot happening? Did chiropractic change the voodoo premise on which it was founded a century ago?

Reactions: 1 user
Ask yourself 1 simple question: "Do I want to be in sales?"

If the answer is "No", or "I couldn't sell watermelons at the side of the road....." don't waste your money or time going to chiropractic college.

I'm chiropractor-friendly and believe they help a lot of people with mechanical low back pain. That being said, people who do really well are more adept at sales than adjustments.

Chiros can't try to spin it as much as they want, chiro remains bullcr@p.