Chiropractor applying this cycle, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back 5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to walk into next year thinking I left any stones unturned, so I wanted to gauge what my chances were for MD/DO admission as a non-trad. I am a 32 male Chiropractor in Florida, been practicing since 2007. My assumption is that I would need to pursue allopathic schools that will review my application as more than MCAT and GPA(if they exist). I wish I could take back my UG from 10+ years ago, but alas, I cannot. My main concern with MD vs DO is cost of schooling. Public allopathic schools in FL will save me quite a bit of money versus private DO schools as I already owe $200k in loans. Onto the meat and potatoes of my application.

The Good:

Team physician for high school rugby as well as our mens club.
3,800+ hours of community and out reach service from 2009.
Worked in a multi-disciplinary practice with multiple MD's of various specialties.
Dean's List multiple semesters during my postbacc
Self-directed Postbacc of 28 hours @ 4.0 gpa.
Clinical TA during Chiropractic school.
3 week medical mission trip to Viet Nam
3 strong LoR's from philosophy professor and 2 science professors from postbacc
2 strong LoR's from DO (ortho surgeon) and MD (gen surgeon).

The Bad:
self-calculated gpa on pad and pencil.
BCPM gpa of 3.0 (will know for certain once I submit my amcas?)
Overall gpa of 3.1 (will know for certain once I submit my amcas?)
MCAT of 27 (9/9/9)

I feel a bit more comfortable with my DO applications. My DO gpa's are 3.54s 3.32c after factoring my postbacc retakes.

If allopathic is out of reach, it's out of reach. I will do my best in either school (MD or DO), the goal is to get accepted somewhere.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD schools with those numbers? No.

I don't want to walk into next year thinking I left any stones unturned, so I wanted to gauge what my chances were for MD/DO admission as a non-trad. I am a 32 male Chiropractor in Florida, been practicing since 2007. My assumption is that I would need to pursue allopathic schools that will review my application as more than MCAT and GPA(if they exist). I wish I could take back my UG from 10+ years ago, but alas, I cannot. My main concern with MD vs DO is cost of schooling. Public allopathic schools in FL will save me quite a bit of money versus private DO schools as I already owe $200k in loans. Onto the meat and potatoes of my application.

The Good:

Worked in a multi-disciplinary practice with multiple MD's of various specialties.
Dean's List multiple semesters during my postbacc, which was a 4.0 over 28 credits.

The Bad:
MCAT of 27 (9/9/9)

I feel a bit more comfortable with my DO applications. My DO gpa's are 3.54s 3.32c after factoring my postbacc retakes.

If allopathic is out of reach, it's out of reach. I will do my best in either school (MD or DO), the goal is to get accepted somewhere.

The Good:

Dean's List multiple semesters during my postbacc, which was a 4.0 over 28 credits.

The Bad:
MCAT of 27 (9/9/9)

How many postbac hours did you take and what was your GPA for those classes alone?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many postbac hours did you take and what was your GPA for those classes alone?
28 hours, 4.0. I wanted to retake all the sciences for MCAT prep. I was only able to take night courses and classes during lunch as I was practicing full-time.

Minus the whole chiropractor thing our stats are almost identical, as well as having grades 10+ old that have ruined my MD chances. So while I can't really offer any advice, best of luck with your application! I'm applying DO only and am perfectly happy doing so.

Minus the whole chiropractor thing our stats are almost identical, as well as having grades 10+ old that have ruined my MD chances. So while I can't really offer any advice, best of luck with your application! I'm applying DO only and am perfectly happy doing so.
Not goingnMD is perfectly fine for me. I'll be happy with DO. However, if I can save thousands upon thousands of dollars, I'd like to give it a shot.

I totally understand. If I had a state MD I'd apply to it, haha.

Not goingnMD is perfectly fine for me. I'll be happy with DO. However, if I can save thousands upon thousands of dollars, I'd like to give it a shot.
I agree that you should give MD schools a try. Your postbac was sufficiently substantive to reverse the impression left by your undergrad GPA, and being 10+ years out makes it more likely that a pair of eyeballs will look your application over carefully enough to note your recent academic achievements, and your MCAT score is balanced. The worst they can do is say, "No."

Question:

As I was filling out my AMCAS, there was a prompt asking about disadvantaged status. I had never thought of it before, but after researching what AMCAS considers disadvantaged, I might qualify.

I grew up in a medically under-served rural area of Pennsylvania. Raised by a single mother and we were on welfare for the better part of my childhood until moving to Florida.

Is this something I should attempt to designate on AMCAS and will this affect (positively) my application?

Thanks.

Question:

As I was filling out my AMCAS, there was a prompt asking about disadvantaged status. I had never thought of it before, but after researching what AMCAS considers disadvantaged, I might qualify.

I grew up in a medically under-served rural area of Pennsylvania. Raised by a single mother and we were on welfare for the better part of my childhood until moving to Florida.

Is this something I should attempt to designate on AMCAS and will this affect (positively) my application?

Thanks.

It will be positive of course. However, it's been a long time. You're 32 and have a career in Florida. Bringing up your childhood disadvantaged status now is a little late. Would be different as a 20 yr old applying.

I would put it down, but wouldn't focus on it anywhere else (personal statement).

Question:

Thanks.

Absolutely, you'd definitely be able to make the case and even if you don't, it's worth a shot.

It will be positive of course. However, it's been a long time. You're 32 and have a career in Florida. Bringing up your childhood disadvantaged status now is a little late. Would be different as a 20 yr old applying.

I would put it down, but wouldn't focus on it anywhere else (personal statement).
My PS focuses heavily on my past as my experiences (good and bad) shaped me into the person and physician that I am today. I touched on difficulties I had and why they mattered as well as briefly touching on poor UG performance.

I never considered being disadvantaged as my life was all I knew. It was normal. I only ever really thought about it when asked by AMCAS.