Chiropractors in osteopathic school. How do they fare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a practicing chiropractor interested in attending osteopathic school and was wondering if there are many other chiropractors going the same route. I am particularly interested in how they do the first 2 years.

Also, how do the osteopathic manipulation classes compare to spinal manipulation classes that chiropractors take? In chiropractic school we were told that osteopathic manipulations were "non-specific" in nature. We were also given classes in physiological therapies such as ultrasound, electrical muscle stimulation, traction, ... and I was wondering if osteopathic education covers these areas also and if so can a student attempt to "achievement test" out of these. Thanks.

Fab

Members don't see this ad.

Fab said:
I am a practicing chiropractor interested in attending osteopathic school and was wondering if there are many other chiropractors going the same route. I am particularly interested in how they do the first 2 years.

Also, how do the osteopathic manipulation classes compare to spinal manipulation classes that chiropractors take? In chiropractic school we were told that osteopathic manipulations were "non-specific" in nature. We were also given classes in physiological therapies such as ultrasound, electrical muscle stimulation, traction, ... and I was wondering if osteopathic education covers these areas also and if so can a student attempt to "achievement test" out of these. Thanks.

Fab

Yes, I know of several Chiros that have gone to Osteopathic Medical School. The manipulation in DO school seems to be very specific (but this is an unprofessional, as of yet, opinion). As far as other physiological therapies (US, stimulation, etc.) it really depends more on the school you attend. Usually these therapies are covered, but not shown in detail or "how to" step by step (these therapies are usually done by PTs or Nurses). As for "achievement tests", I believe that there are none. ALL of my Chiro acquaintances that have attended DO school were required to take all the classes. However, they were far ahead in both their skills and their anatomical knowledge...all of them ended up tutoring several other students :) . I hope you find this info somewhat useful and good luck in all your health care endeavors. :cool:

-Ryan

Reactions: 1 user
There is no real "modality" class in medical school, so nothing to test out of. Coming from a PT background, you will have an advantage in the OMT classes and anatomy...then it really levels out.

Members don't see this ad :)
When starting medschool, Chiro's definately have an edge in anatomy. Chiro's take 45 weeks to cover anatomy!

I have just a couple comments for this thread:

1. No testing out of OMM/OMT would be possible at any DO school

2. OMM/OMT is very specific (my mom is actually a nationally respected D.C. and she is very impressed with my palpitory (sp?) and diagnosis skills. I think the confusion comes in because a number of the HVLA techniques in OMT are long-lever rather than short lever-but if you look at diversified tech in chiro. it basically uses many original OMT tech.

3. Unless you want to specialize in OMT-are you also looking at M.D. schools-what is you ultimate goal i.e. why D.O. school?

4. I saw a number of "professionals" in my class- one D.C. one J.D. and others who dropped out because they had something to fall back on when things got stressful-please make sure you have a clear cut goal.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info. Very specific. #3 If I'm not mistaken with both a D.C. and a M.D. license I would still have to maintain my D.C. license and possibly my chiropractic malpractice to perform manipulations since M.D.s aren't trained in it. With an osteopathic license I should be able to do everything I do now and hopefully alot more under one license and malpractice insurance. I greatly enjoy being a chiropractor but it would be nice to be able to do more. After practicing for a while, patients get comfortable with you and start coming to you for everything and unfortunately manipulation and modalities doesn't cure everything. Thanks again for your time and good luck with your studies.

Fab

Even as a MD you are likely allowed to perform manipulations.

i thought as a new doc right outta medical school, you can perform even brain surgery, but since you have no residency in it, you cant get insurance on it... but that legally you are allowed to perform...

what i am getting at, is that sure, an MD is allowed to do the manip... but likely they wont know it (or anyway to prove they do know it formally from education) so they wont get insured for it or whatever...

i think the manipulation that a DC does compared to a DO is different also... keep that in mind...

macman said:
4. I saw a number of "professionals" in my class- one D.C. one J.D. and others who dropped out because they had something to fall back on when things got stressful-please make sure you have a clear cut goal.

Just a side note for me....this pisses me off cause they took a spot of someone that really would have wanted to be a physician. If you go for it stick to it and be the best doctor you can be.

I'll get off my high horse now cause this had nothing to do with this thread.

Robz said:
Just a side note for me....this pisses me off cause they took a spot of someone that really would have wanted to be a physician. If you go for it stick to it and be the best doctor you can be.

I'll get off my high horse now cause this had nothing to do with this thread.

aside from ppl dropping out of medical school, what is wrong with getting/learning about other things. perhaps you believe they would enhance you as a physician.

honestly, the more you learn, the more insight you have when you learn other things, thusly allowing you to learn even more faster and so on. dont kick someone for busting their butt to do more, cuz that someone could be me :smuggrin:

additionally, if you would like to argue about it id be more than happy. :laugh:

My issue is that someone got into medical school and then dropped out halfway through.....thus taking a spot from someone elses dream. That just rubs me wrong. Especially when I knew how freaking hard myself and many others worked to get in.

I have nothing against anyone trying to better themselves or improve themselves. If you note in my backgorund I was an NREMTP, thus I went back to school and now I'm entering medical school. Also, I am finishing up my MPH and have had thoughts of MBA or even a PhD years down the road too. Betterment is a good thing.

Also note that no where in my post did I bust on anyone trying to improve themselves or in that they should not continue to educate themselves after a "professional" degree was obtained. So cooldreams, I am not sure where your post about kicking someone for busting their butt came from. :confused:

I would really like to have a person who is both DC and DO comment on his/her perceived differences in OMT and chiropractic manipulations. I am excited to learn OMT, but Id like to know the technical differences in the two arts as well. Also, if anyone has a link to any articles comparing them, i would be appreciative.

Thanks for the info. Very specific. #3 If I'm not mistaken with both a D.C. and a M.D. license I would still have to maintain my D.C. license and possibly my chiropractic malpractice to perform manipulations since M.D.s aren't trained in it. With an osteopathic license I should be able to do everything I do now and hopefully alot more under one license and malpractice insurance. I greatly enjoy being a chiropractor but it would be nice to be able to do more. After practicing for a while, patients get comfortable with you and start coming to you for everything and unfortunately manipulation and modalities doesn't cure everything. Thanks again for your time and good luck with your studies.

Fab
Hello Fab. I am a chiropractor preparing to take the April MCAT's. Do you have any suggestions regarding which osteopathic schools to apply to? Thanks.
Chiros.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Fab. I am a chiropractor preparing to take the April MCAT's. Do you have any suggestions regarding which osteopathic schools to apply to? Thanks.
Chiros.
Fab was last seen in 2004. Fabs dead baby...Fabs dead.

Reactions: 1 users
Fab was last seen in 2004. Fabs dead baby...Fabs dead.

Being dead is no excuse.

Game_of_Thrones_Wall-20110630-024133.png

Reactions: 2 users
That's good to hear breh. Missing your old state at all? What's piquing your interest nowadays?
Ha! Thanks bruddah. Eh I'm back there enough to get my fill and winter here has been mellow enough so far this year so no complaints yet.

Right now I'm 70/30 split between non surgical sports med by way of family med and PM&R. Hoping to get my early elective next semester in PM&R to see what I really think of it, but from the brief exposure I've had, not quite sure the patient population is what I'm interested in. It also seems to be the specialty kids who have no idea what it is try to pursue because it isn't FM and they think it is obtainable... Came into this wanting to do sports med-so that hasn't really changed much.

Last edited:
Chiros.

Why? In order to get into any medical school (MD or DO) you are going to need to answer that question. Financially it isnt a good idea, and clinically it doesnt make that much sense.

Just gonna be blunt, if you dont have a really good answer as to why....dont take the MCAT

*to answer your question--I dont think any school will weigh your chiropractic training more than any others. It will probably help you everywhere but I base that off of nothing but my own opinion.

It is my impression that manipulation departments, even ones that are particularly "religious," do not like to refer to chiropractic for, well, anything. You will have an advantage in anatomy, and of course, you will probably have an advantage working with patients and being comfortable with some of the manipulations. It needs to be said however that I do not think being a chiropractor helps you with admissions onesoever. In fact, I think it will hurt you. That is not to say you will not be successful should you have the grades, scores, and personality, but reading about the progression of osteopathy, the two fields have historically not been friendly even though they share some techniques.

I do not see an issue with it. I met people from other healthcare backgrounds in DO school, most often Nurses, PTs, Pharmacists, and OTs. I think the Dean of NSU's DO school was a Pharmacist before he became a DO, at least this is what a friend of mine at NSU told me.