Choice between Sweden, Germany and Italy for Medical Specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have one more year to graduate (from an EU school) but I'm quite confused as to what I want to do and where I want to go after med school. I'm certainly considering returning back to the US as my first option but I don't know how I'll perform on my MLEs. Besides the US, I've always felt Europe quite to my liking and I don't mind living in one of the European countries. The question is which one? After a lot of research and help from fellow doctors living and working in some of the European countries, I've narrowed my choice down to 1) Sweden and 2) Germany.

1) Sweden - I've heard so many positive things about the Swedish working system, their health care, benefits, and great financial compensation. There are a few downsides too of course - depressing winters, reserved people etc etc (but of course I don't want to generalize that every Swede is reserved and cold.)

2) Germany - I already know some German (level B1) and this is my first choice among the European countries as I've always loved everything about Germany: the culture, the language, the people, the history. Downsides: long working hours, financial compensation not so great etc.

So how are the medical employment job markets in these countries at the moment? I hear both the countries are facing a doctor shortage but which country is better? In terms of having a wider choice of medical specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

Shrey hi again, I came across here too :rolleyes:

Actually when I saw that "Italy" on the heading I jumped in the post, because I have read about Italian medical system and how the residents cant develop much in residencies. So I wanted to tell it.

As for Sweden ..

Last edited:
For better medical training and English speaking, I'll take Germany

Members don't see this ad :)
Shrey hi again, I came across here too :rolleyes:

Actually when I saw that "Italy" on the heading I jumped in the post, because I have read about Italian medical system and how the residents cant develop much in residencies. So I wanted to tell it.

As for Sweden ..

You "read" about the Italian system and wanted to tell it? Heh. ;)

Well. Having lived and studied in Italy and I can tell you that it varies by program.

Friends training in 2 of the 5 English programs in Italy email me back their experiences. The institutions themsevels say their programs are PBL, very small, like 50 students per class, and hospital-based with patient contact from their 2nd year of medical school up to year 6, and the physician-researcher option (like an MD/PhD). Some even incorporate "Step 1" preparation for those applying to residency in the United States.

But the thing is the system is changing, so it's wait and see, but I do like their "patient contact since year 2" approach. I haven't decided on this one. The students haven't said too much about it since this is such a new system being implemented, but you definitely need to have discipline and focus since it's the PBL approach.

One thing is medical school, another is residency training, and it all varies by program. I'd research the institutions themselves.

Last edited:
I still have one more year to graduate (from an EU school) but I'm quite confused as to what I want to do and where I want to go after med school. I'm certainly considering returning back to the US as my first option but I don't know how I'll perform on my MLEs. Besides the US, I've always felt Europe quite to my liking and I don't mind living in one of the European countries. The question is which one? After a lot of research and help from fellow doctors living and working in some of the European countries, I've narrowed my choice down to 1) Sweden and 2) Germany.

1) Sweden - I've heard so many positive things about the Swedish working system, their health care, benefits, and great financial compensation. There are a few downsides too of course - depressing winters, reserved people etc etc (but of course I don't want to generalize that every Swede is reserved and cold.)

2) Germany - I already know some German (level B1) and this is my first choice among the European countries as I've always loved everything about Germany: the culture, the language, the people, the history. Downsides: long working hours, financial compensation not so great etc.

So how are the medical employment job markets in these countries at the moment? I hear both the countries are facing a doctor shortage but which country is better? In terms of having a wider choice of medical specialties?
Hi shreypete
how are you?
I wanted to PM you but it was not possible.
nice to hear that you're going to graduate in about 6 months. that's cool!
you don't remember me. right?
check your older inbox then!
send my regards to your grandma too ;)
good luck

Hi Shreypete, i believe you should be done with Med school. Please, right now, am facing a kind of the same situation you faced back then. So please i did like to know the one you chose; Germany or Sweden and how is it working out? Thanks