Choice of undergrad - does it matter, UNC, UVA, UF or small private

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BJF1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to great undergrads, but also received full tuition at schools ranked 40-60 by USNews, will going to a free univ with a lower ranking hurt my chances of acceptance in dental school?

Need quick replays, time is near to accept.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Doesn't matter. Take your full ride.

Thank you, most Dr friends tell me the same, keep debt low! But I do wish I could attend those dream schools, but not at 200K just for the bumper sticker!

Members don't see this ad :)
The full ride is so worth it! I turned down a few higher ranked universities for my state school which gave me a huge scholarship (nearly paid everything). With my 2 additional degrees besides my bachelors, I still have less debt than most with just a bachelors.

Full-ride! If patients could not care less about dental school name, how much could they possibly care about undergrad? It's funny how some predents still tout their prestigious charter/private high school alma mater.

Thank you everyone? I really agree with UCSF- not until I was interested in dentistry, did my family ever ask where my dentist attended dent school. We only cared about their reputation and if they were "painless", skilled and nice! I'm taking my fabulous free ride, hope one day to catch up to you all at a dental meeting in 2021!

I was accepted to great undergrads, but also received full tuition at schools ranked 40-60 by USNews, will going to a free univ with a lower ranking hurt my chances of acceptance in dental school?

Need quick replays, time is near to accept.

you were born in 1990 and you are just starting college???:)

LOL JK. Full ride fosho.

Not born in 1990, I was waiting for someone to think that. Thank you so much. I just hate giving up all my hard work and success of getting into a prestigious school,but I guess my hard work got me my scholarship!

If you can gain residency in the state you think you might want to go to dental school it will save you money in the future.