Choose your top 10 schools from this list and why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loteyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as a Canadian, I have compiled a list of the schools I will possibly apply to. This list is quite long and I would love to cut the list down to about 10-15 schools.
My cGPA sits around 3.83
My sGPA sits around 3.75
My AA is 22, RC 25, TS, 21, PAT 21

As I've said already, I am a Canadian student, so assume I have no idea about anything in the states. Choose your top 10 schools and please let me know why.
School list:
Nova Southeastern
Midwestern - Arizona
USC
Loma Linda
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Meharry School of Dentistry
Viginia Commonwealth University
University of Louisville
University of Pacific
Howard University
Temple University
University of Penn
University of Kentucky
Columbia
New York
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Rutgers
Indiana University
Roseman University
University of Nebraska
West Virginia University
Case Western
University of Pittsburgh
Boston University
Harvard
Creighton University
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Iowa
Ohio State
Midwestern - Illinois
University of Michigan
Marquette University
University of Connecticut
University of Minnesota

Price is somewhat of a factor, but depends where I go, I could be willing to pay
I'm interested in the best clinical experience and don't care for too much research
I have the ADEA official guide 2014, but would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks

Sorry for the long list, but please help me out. I am going to be applying this next cycle here this summer

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I have learned, all Ivy schools are primarily research oriented and aren't that good in clinical. I advise you to ask dentist where they would recommend you going if you are looking for clinical. I will recommend the following to be investigated more:

UAB
U Washington (hint: state school so be careful)
UNC
San Antonio Texas
USC (was very good but is falling behind now)
U Michigan (I think...don't keep me to it)

There are probably more that are great but these are what I know. I mainly applied to research oriented schools. Research schools:

UCSF
U Washington
U Michigan
Harvard
U Penn
Columbia

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not from Texas, Texas schools are increasingly difficult to get into.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I have learned, all Ivy schools are primarily research oriented and aren't that good in clinical. I advise you to ask dentist where they would recommend you going if you are looking for clinical. I will recommend the following to be investigated more:

UAB
U Washington (hint: state school so be careful)
UNC
San Antonio Texas
USC (was very good but is falling behind now)
U Michigan (I think...don't keep me to it)

There are probably more that are great but these are what I know. I mainly applied to research oriented schools. Research schools:

UCSF
U Washington
U Michigan
Harvard
U Penn
Columbia

What exactly does a 'research oriented school' mean? Like does it mean that while you're in school, you do a lot of research? Or does it mean that it sets you up to do research in a dental field? And why exactly would a person want to go to a research oriented school?

Thanks so much for your reply. So U Michigan is both a research and clinically good school?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 6.29.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 6.29.01 PM.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 682
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Marquette is clinical based. You start a good amount of clinical work your first year all the way through 4th.

Marquette is clinical based. You start a good amount of clinical work your first year all the way through 4th.

Thanks for the reply. Is it a good school? I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I've never heard of it up here in Canada.

What exactly does a 'research oriented school' mean? Like does it mean that while you're in school, you do a lot of research? Or does it mean that it sets you up to do research in a dental field? And why exactly would a person want to go to a research oriented school?

Thanks so much for your reply. So U Michigan is both a research and clinically good school?
People use that term way too much. Penn isn't "research based" you just have incredible opportunities to do research if you want to with some of the most well regarded individuals in their respective fields. You don't have to do any research at all if you don't want to. The main reason to go to the Ivies is for the specialty match rates, research opportunities, and networking.

People use that term way too much. Penn isn't "research based" you just have incredible opportunities to do research if you want to with some of the most well regarded individuals in their respective fields. You don't have to do any research at all if you don't want to. The main reason to go to the Ivies is for the specialty match rates, research opportunities, and networking.

I didn't know that. That's helpful, thanks! So you suggest UPenn?

Also, what does a "clinical school" mean? Every school gives you the opportunity to fill your chair with patients, recommends a minimum number of and distribution of said procedures, and allows you to make the most of your experience. It stands to reason that because graduates from these so called "research schools" pass the same clinical boards as those from "research schools" that perhaps this classification scheme isn't a particularly good one. Your clinical experience is based squarely on your shoulders - it is what you make it to be.

Since you have the ADEA guidebook, check out the distribution of out of state applicants to interviews and interviews to acceptances. That'll likely tell you what schools are worth applying to just playing the numbers game.

I probably would cast a wide net, and if I get lucky to be invited to be interviewed pay attention to the vibe (e.g. how students there like it, what they don't like about it, can I see myself here, etc), and pick based on that feeling and the feeling you get when you look at the price tag.

Also, what does a "clinical school" mean? Every school gives you the opportunity to fill your chair with patients, recommends a minimum number of and distribution of said procedures, and allows you to make the most of your experience. It stands to reason that because graduates from these so called "research schools" pass the same clinical boards as those from "research schools" that perhaps this classification scheme isn't a particularly good one. Your clinical experience is based squarely on your shoulders - it is what you make it to be.

Since you have the ADEA guidebook, check out the distribution of out of state applicants to interviews and interviews to acceptances. That'll likely tell you what schools are worth applying to just playing the numbers game.

I probably would cast a wide net, and if I get lucky to be invited to be interviewed pay attention to the vibe (e.g. how students there like it, what they don't like about it, can I see myself here, etc), and pick based on that feeling and the feeling you get when you look at the price tag.

Thanks Point. 30+ schools seems way too many though, I was just hoping to hear people's perspectives and maybe cut it down. But I appreciate your advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know that. That's helpful, thanks! So you suggest UPenn?
I'm not saying I suggest Penn, just a little incite on a topic that sometimes gets hazy. Many people will say not to go with Ivies because of the price, and to be honest I agree (I'm here because of the HPSP). In your situation where cost of attendance will most likely be high anywhere (I'm assuming due to being international?) I would definitely consider it as you have competitive stats for just about anywhere. There are many Canadians here.

I'm not saying I suggest Penn, just a little incite on a topic that sometimes gets hazy. Many people will say not to go with Ivies because of the price, and to be honest I agree (I'm here because of the HPSP). In your situation where cost of attendance will most likely be high anywhere (I'm assuming due to being international?) I would definitely consider it as you have competitive stats for just about anywhere. There are many Canadians here.
Okay GJ, I see what you're saying. You're right, it's pretty expensive everywhere I go, I'm just looking for the best school for me and wanted to hear people defend what they believe what a great school is and why, to gain insight.

VCU is my favorite...not just because I am a Virginia Resident but because they foster a supportive environment, and they are very much clinically based, there is no requirement to perform research unless you want to.

Hello! Fellow Canadian here. I'll give you the list of schools I applied to, received an interview, and was offered acceptance:

University of Pacific
University of Penn
Case Western
Boston University
Nova Southeastern - interview offered (declined)
University of Pittsburgh - interviewed
University of Michigan - interviewed
University of Detroit Mercy - offer of acceptance
New York - offer of acceptance
University of Minnesota - offer of acceptance

I see you have Meharry and Howard on your list. Make sure to do your research as they schools accept mostly URMs, based on what I've read on SDN. (If this works to your advantage NM)

Also make sure and specifically email any admissions office that doesn't clearly state on their website whether they accept Canadians.

I ended up choosing Detroit - strong clinical program, tight knit atmosphere, and accepts many more Canadians than elsewhere. To boot, I can live in Windsor and car pool with other Canadians (it's only 20 minutes, and the bridge can be seen from the school). I'm so excited!

Would you like to practice in the States or back in Canada? At Minnesota, you actually take the Canadian board exam and it qualifies you to practice in Minnesota and Canada. Minnesota is pretty expensive for out-of-state, though.

Marquette is very clinically-based. You'll get a lot of exposure to rural and underserved populations if you go there. They have a nice new facility, and the people there were very friendly. Some people confuse "not well-known" with "not a good school." Marquette wants to accept people who want to go there, and they want to educate clinically competent dentists who are ready to practice as soon as they're out of school.

Nebraska is very, very in-state selective. I'm not saying don't apply there, but they mainly take people from states that don't have a dental school. Their board pass rates are apparently incredible, though.

I think Case has a practice management program that fourth-year students do. I didn't apply there, but if I had known about that before, I might have.

Michigan has pretty reasonable out-of-state tuition, especially considering its name recognition and desirability that are backed up by a reputation for being a good dental school all-around.

At UConn, Harvard, and Columbia, you are basically a medical student the first two years. If you're up for balancing that with your dentistry-specific courses, I think it would be worth it.

UPenn is my dream school. It has a good balance of academics, clinical experience, networking, research, and honors programs. I love the students, campus, and curriculum. I was accepted... but it's really expensive.

I'm either going to Minnesota or Penn, and leaning strongly towards Minnesota just because the difference in cost is so high.

Eliminate all the private schools. Look to see which schools are cheapest. Go there.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you come up with this list?

Looks like a random pull out of a hat.

my advice: get rid of the ones that are bolded; bolded and blue are worth applying to but are more of a toss up; the rest i think you should have a fair shot at

So, as a Canadian, I have compiled a list of the schools I will possibly apply to. This list is quite long and I would love to cut the list down to about 10-15 schools.
My cGPA sits around 3.83
My sGPA sits around 3.75
My AA is 22, RC 25, TS, 21, PAT 21

As I've said already, I am a Canadian student, so assume I have no idea about anything in the states. Choose your top 10 schools and please let me know why.
School list:
Nova Southeastern
Midwestern - Arizona
USC
Loma Linda
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Meharry School of Dentistry
Viginia Commonwealth University
University of Louisville

University of Pacific
Howard University
Temple University
University of Penn
University of Kentucky
Columbia
New York
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Rutgers
Indiana University

Roseman University
University of Nebraska
West Virginia University

Case Western
University of Pittsburgh
Boston University
Harvard
Creighton University
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Iowa
Ohio State

Midwestern - Illinois
University of Michigan
Marquette University
University of Connecticut

University of Minnesota

Price is somewhat of a factor, but depends where I go, I could be willing to pay
I'm interested in the best clinical experience and don't care for too much research
I have the ADEA official guide 2014, but would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks

Sorry for the long list, but please help me out. I am going to be applying this next cycle here this summer

and um...in terms of highest chances of getting accepted based on your stats+being canadian

i'd say nyu, bu, nova, cwru, detroit, penn, roseman

I was a Canadian applicant this cycle (accepted to UMich, Buffalo, and NYU. Waitlisted at UDM and a couple post-dec interviews). From what I could glean applying with my friends this cycle, nothing is certain when applying to US schools without stellar stats (yours likely falls around the median for Canadians) and solid ECs/PS/LORs. So apply broadly-- above post narrows the list down very well. As a caveat, Columbia has not accepted Canadians in recent years. And do not eliminate private schools (as another poster mentioned) like UDM or NYU unless you severely want to limit your chances of getting in.

UDM loves Canadians and is very, very clinically based. I would definitely apply there if I were in your shoes.

So basically the point of research vs. clinically oriented schools are dependent upon the interest of the student. Clinically oriented school indicates high clinical requirements and oppotunities with a huge patient population that is easily accessible. Research oriented is great if you are looking for world class research and trying to get into academia in your career. These schools tend to be the well known schools like Harvard that offer you higher chances of specialties and residency program acceptances. However, keep in mind that regardless of whatever school you end up going, you will graduate with the ability to practice dentistry. It's just how competent you will be after the 4 years of dental school. That is why if you want to go into private practice, it is great to go to a school with a very strong clinical program.

VCU is my favorite...not just because I am a Virginia Resident but because they foster a supportive environment, and they are very much clinically based, there is no requirement to perform research unless you want to.
Thanks man, I'll look into it, I appreciate your opinion.

Hello! Fellow Canadian here. I'll give you the list of schools I applied to, received an interview, and was offered acceptance:

University of Pacific
University of Penn
Case Western
Boston University
Nova Southeastern - interview offered (declined)
University of Pittsburgh - interviewed
University of Michigan - interviewed
University of Detroit Mercy - offer of acceptance
New York - offer of acceptance
University of Minnesota - offer of acceptance

I see you have Meharry and Howard on your list. Make sure to do your research as they schools accept mostly URMs, based on what I've read on SDN. (If this works to your advantage NM)

Also make sure and specifically email any admissions office that doesn't clearly state on their website whether they accept Canadians.

I ended up choosing Detroit - strong clinical program, tight knit atmosphere, and accepts many more Canadians than elsewhere. To boot, I can live in Windsor and car pool with other Canadians (it's only 20 minutes, and the bridge can be seen from the school). I'm so excited!
Thanks for your list bud! I used the ADAS book to decide which schools accept Canadians.
That's a great choice. I would be living in Detroit, and no offence to people of that city, but it's not the nicest place to live hey?
Good luck

Would you like to practice in the States or back in Canada? At Minnesota, you actually take the Canadian board exam and it qualifies you to practice in Minnesota and Canada. Minnesota is pretty expensive for out-of-state, though.

Marquette is very clinically-based. You'll get a lot of exposure to rural and underserved populations if you go there. They have a nice new facility, and the people there were very friendly. Some people confuse "not well-known" with "not a good school." Marquette wants to accept people who want to go there, and they want to educate clinically competent dentists who are ready to practice as soon as they're out of school.

Nebraska is very, very in-state selective. I'm not saying don't apply there, but they mainly take people from states that don't have a dental school. Their board pass rates are apparently incredible, though.

I think Case has a practice management program that fourth-year students do. I didn't apply there, but if I had known about that before, I might have.

Michigan has pretty reasonable out-of-state tuition, especially considering its name recognition and desirability that are backed up by a reputation for being a good dental school all-around.

At UConn, Harvard, and Columbia, you are basically a medical student the first two years. If you're up for balancing that with your dentistry-specific courses, I think it would be worth it.

UPenn is my dream school. It has a good balance of academics, clinical experience, networking, research, and honors programs. I love the students, campus, and curriculum. I was accepted... but it's really expensive.

I'm either going to Minnesota or Penn, and leaning strongly towards Minnesota just because the difference in cost is so high.
Wow man, great reply, really helpful!
I'm most likely going back to Canada, but there's about a 25% chance I stay in the states.
The price of most schools seems to be pretty similar, so if you say UPenn is a great school, and I've heard this from others, I'll probably apply there.

Thanks again buddy

Eliminate all the private schools. Look to see which schools are cheapest. Go there.
Dental education is the same everywhere that price is the only thing that matters is what you're saying? I'm just clarifying.

my advice: get rid of the ones that are bolded; bolded and blue are worth applying to but are more of a toss up; the rest i think you should have a fair shot at

Thanks for doing this man. Why exactly should I not be applying to Harvard, Meharry, Ohio state, and UAB? Just wondering.
Appreciate it

I was a Canadian applicant this cycle (accepted to UMich, Buffalo, and NYU. Waitlisted at UDM and a couple post-dec interviews). From what I could glean applying with my friends this cycle, nothing is certain when applying to US schools without stellar stats (yours likely falls around the median for Canadians) and solid ECs/PS/LORs. So apply broadly-- above post narrows the list down very well. As a caveat, Columbia has not accepted Canadians in recent years. And do not eliminate private schools (as another poster mentioned) like UDM or NYU unless you severely want to limit your chances of getting in.

Thanks man, always good hearing from another Canadian eh... Appreciate it. My stats are average hey haha?

How did you come up with this list?

Looks like a random pull out of a hat.
I used the ADAS book, looked at the schools that accept the Canadian DAT and accept international applicants. Then I cut out the Texas schools and some schools that were too expensive.

UDM loves Canadians and is very, very clinically based. I would definitely apply there if I were in your shoes.
Will do. Thanks. Not sure if you know or not, but is it a good place to live? I haven't heard good things about living in Detroit, but I could be wrong

So basically the point of research vs. clinically oriented schools are dependent upon the interest of the student. Clinically oriented school indicates high clinical requirements and oppotunities with a huge patient population that is easily accessible. Research oriented is great if you are looking for world class research and trying to get into academia in your career. These schools tend to be the well known schools like Harvard that offer you higher chances of specialties and residency program acceptances. However, keep in mind that regardless of whatever school you end up going, you will graduate with the ability to practice dentistry. It's just how competent you will be after the 4 years of dental school. That is why if you want to go into private practice, it is great to go to a school with a very strong clinical program.
This is what I'm looking for, to be good at working in a private practice. So I will most likely stay away from Harvard. Thanks buddy. I do not really want to teach after I'm done, personally. So a clinically advanced school with many opportunities to work with patients would be ideal.

This is what I'm looking for, to be good at working in a private practice. So I will most likely stay away from Harvard. Thanks buddy. I do not really want to teach after I'm done, personally. So a clinically advanced school with many opportunities to work with patients would be ideal.

Great. I can tell you first hand that UAB is great with a large pool of patients. UAB is the only dental school in AL. Now when you are looking at different schools, search the surrounding areas and cities for other dental schools or big clinics. The more there is, the less patient population you may have.

Thanks man, always good hearing from another Canadian eh... Appreciate it. My stats are average hey haha?
Your GPA may very well get inflated once you calculate it for AADSAS though -- your DAT looks alright too. You definitely have a good chance presupposing your ECs are in order. Good luck bud! I hope you get into the school you want, whether it is in Canada or in the states.

Great. I can tell you first hand that UAB is great with a large pool of patients. UAB is the only dental school in AL. Now when you are looking at different schools, search the surrounding areas and cities for other dental schools or big clinics. The more there is, the less patient population you may have.
Great! UAB is definitely an option. Thanks again for the clarification about research oriented schools

Your GPA may very well get inflated once you calculate it for AADSAS though -- your DAT looks alright too. You definitely have a good chance presupposing your ECs are in order. Good luck bud! I hope you get into the school you want, whether it is in Canada or in the states.
EC's are a bit on the weaker side. No research. Just volunteering, mostly as a hockey coach. Good personal statement and good reference letters. I'm just hoping to get into Canada to be honest. Much cheaper. UofT would be a dream. Thanks man, to you as well

well b
Thanks for doing this man. Why exactly should I not be applying to Harvard, Meharry, Ohio state, and UAB? Just wondering.
Appreciate it

well because it's harvard--35 seats and you don't have much research from what i can see. harvard is a research driven school.

meharry is a historically black school that caters to minorities

ohio state and uab are both state schools with stringent requirements. UAB is huge on research

Ohio State.

I go to OSU and it's a great school. The atmosphere is friendly with your fellow students (everyone shares study resources, no problems with gunners, etc.), teachers are helpful/good student:faculty ratio, excellent clinical program, and OSU offers almost all of the specialty programs. There's even a very involved student affairs staff that helps ensure the best experience here. After the 1st year, you're eligible for in-state tuition, and the OOS waitlist moves pretty fast if you're trying to get accepted. You also get discounted sports ticket prices, Columbus is a great place to live, and it's not as cold as Canada.

I haven't taken the boards yet, but OSU is supposed to do a very good job of prepping you for them.

state schools like UMN, indiana, and louisville cater more to out of state/country applicants
Thanks for all your help Toothman, I appreciate it. I've def cut out Harvard, but the I'm hearing good things on Ohio state and UAB. I'm still on the fence about applying at those 2.

Meharry.. I have never heard of it to be honest. I am considered a visible minority I believe? (I'm east indian), I just hope it's an okay school.

Ohio State.

I go to OSU and it's a great school. The atmosphere is friendly with your fellow students (everyone shares study resources, no problems with gunners, etc.), teachers are helpful/good student:faculty ratio, excellent clinical program, and OSU offers almost all of the specialty programs. There's even a very involved student affairs staff that helps ensure the best experience here. After the 1st year, you're eligible for in-state tuition, and the OOS waitlist moves pretty fast if you're trying to get accepted. You also get discounted sports ticket prices, Columbus is a great place to live, and it's not as cold as Canada.

I haven't taken the boards yet, but OSU is supposed to do a very good job of prepping you for them.
Thanks for your input! I have OSU crossed out right now because it looks like I'll be paying approx 110k a year as a non resident for going there and living costs and fees and that seems crazy! I didn't know that I would be eligible for in state tuition, but does it even make that big of difference?
I could be wrong but I heard OSU is a crazy sports school right? I'd love to attend a school that's passionate about sports, so that's good info.
Haha nothing is as cold to where I live in the states! On average, the temp for my city is 35 degrees Fahrenheit... Sometimes gets as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter!

Oh yeah, it makes a huge difference! If you pay OOS for all 4 years, you're looking at about 454k total, as opposed to ~303k if you do OOS the first year and IS the remaining 3 years. Just make sure you have 12+ months of residency here before you start D2 year. Here is a breakdown of all the costs involved:

http://dent.osu.edu/prospective-students/doctor-dental-surgery/financial-aid/cost-attendance

And yeah you heard right haha, OSU is huge into sports. I got the season ticket package for all home football games this year for $252 (7 tickets?), which is about 1/3 of the normal ticket price. Not to mention OSU's student body is one of the largest in the entire nation, so there is tons of stuff to do; you can get involved in just about anything you want to. We also have the Columbus Crew & Bluejackets here (though I admit their hockey isn't in the same league as Canadian hockey... or most other US hockey teams lol).

Oh yeah, it makes a huge difference! If you pay OOS for all 4 years, you're looking at about 454k total, as opposed to ~303k if you do OOS the first year and IS the remaining 3 years. Just make sure you have 12+ months of residency here before you start D2 year. Here is a breakdown of all the costs involved:

http://dent.osu.edu/prospective-students/doctor-dental-surgery/financial-aid/cost-attendance

And yeah you heard right haha, OSU is huge into sports. I got the season ticket package for all home football games this year for $252 (7 tickets?), which is about 1/3 of the normal ticket price. Not to mention OSU's student body is one of the largest in the entire nation, so there is tons of stuff to do; you can get involved in just about anything you want to. We also have the Columbus Crew & Bluejackets here (though I admit their hockey isn't in the same league as Canadian hockey... or most other US hockey teams lol).

OSU is temporarily back on my list thanks to you haha.
I'm not sure how you came up with 303k for the 4 years? But I probably will apply here and just see what happens, it would be exciting to get into a sports atmosphere and a proud school.
Yeah CBJ aren't the greatest, but I also played football in highschool and love the game, hoping to watch many games in my dental school tenure.
Thanks NMC