Choosing a major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoloyolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my 2nd year and I need to choose a major. I am interested in health care field and want a stable employment after graduated. I am good at math and OK in biology and chemistry. At first, I was planning to do pharmacist or dentistry but now I think that I am not smart enough and need to lower my expectation to a 4 years degree. My grades in intro science courses are usually around 3.2, which isn't really high enough for professional programs and I know that intro are the easiest courses. I really want to stay in the health care field. I am not really good with communication but a little talking with other people won't hurt me. Can you guys please help me choose a major in the health care area (other than nursing and clinical laboratory science) that can provide me a stable employment after graduate?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my 2nd year and I need to choose a major. I am interested in health care field and want a stable employment after graduated. I am good at math and OK in biology and chemistry. At first, I was planning to do pharmacist or dentistry but now I think that I am not smart enough and need to lower my expectation to a 4 years degree. My grades in intro science courses are usually around 3.2, which isn't really high enough for professional programs and I know that intro are the easiest courses. I really want to stay in the health care field. I am not really good with communication but a little talking with other people won't hurt me. Can you guys please help me choose a major in the health care area (other than nursing and clinical laboratory science) that can provide me a stable employment after graduate?

Thank you!

Here a two year associates degree that makes as much as people with masters degrees: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/radiation-therapists.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
@q1w3: May I ask what is your GPA and what are the prerequisites for the program?

I actually applied to a Radiation Therapist program got accepted and everything but pulled out at the last moment. Sometimes I wonder if made the right decision. :laugh:

what are the pre-reqs for that kind of program? or GPA requirements? Just curious

what are the pre-reqs for that kind of program? or GPA requirements? Just curious

I don't know about US but I am assuming its similar to Canada.
These were the MINIMUM requirements.

• One year of university level academics (30 credits) including a minimum grade of 60% in the following:
    • 6 credits math (preferably calculus-based)
    • 6 credits physics
    • 6 credits English
    • Further Biology credits are an asset but not required
  • Biology 12 (C) or equivalent*
  • Physics 12

Most people that were accepted had degrees or were close to finishing. I am guessing the average GPA would be around 3.3. You would need to volunteer in hospitals or cancer treatment centers etc. Write an essay for why you want to be RT, good recommendation letters, go to interview and all that usual stuff.

I was surprised that the program was actually somewhat competitive to get in. There were far more people applying than the number of seats. Again this might be different in US if the program is being offered by lots universities or colleges.

Thank you!

Go for computer science, get a job with apple or google--boom.

Thank you!

If you don't want a lot of interaction, then pharmacy might be the right job for you. Also, I know people in pharmacy school right now who didn't have the best GPA or PCAT score. A 3.2 would probably get you in somewhere. I have heard that it is really difficult to get into dental school. You might want to consider being a physician's assistant. They make a nice salary, and the program shouldn't be as rigorous and something like pharmacy or dentistry. Good luck!

Most physician assistant programs require at least 90 hours of college coursework if not a bachelor's degree. Competition is pretty stiff and patient interaction is required for most programs. Between 500 and 2000 hours of patient interaction for most programs if they do require it. Though the program is only two years, it's like taking the first and third year of medical school. Although the detail is not as in depth as medical school.