Choosing a Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

estrella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time choosing between the two programs I have narrowed it down to. One program seems stronger and is rated higher (top 15). I have a good research match in a productive lab. But the location is undesirable and I am moving with a spouse who is not keen on this relocation.

The other program is with a perfect research match who is well-known in her field. However the program is only mid rank (top 50) and does not seem as dynamic or well-funded as the other program. Yet, my spouse is keener on moving here On the other hand, because my mentor is well-connected, I wonder if that makes up for the lower rank of the school. But I still have concerns about the overall quality of my training there. Is it possible to get good training at any Tier 1 institution- or is there a lot of variability? Also, how important is reputation of your grad school in terms of subsequent career opportunities?

So, each program has its pros and cons and I'm not sure how to make a good decision. How are others deciding between programs? What criteria are you using to pick a program? Your feedback would be really helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is this ranking system you are using?

I never thought much about rank (for reasons described by others elsewhere on this forum), but now I am just really curious to see these rankings people are always mentioning....

Personally, I am of the opinion that mentor prestige trumps most other concerns (if your goal is a research career). That is the person who will have the biggest hand in your future. Just my 2cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ranking doesnt count for anything. If anything though a pretegious mentor does have more weight. I suggest go with the latter. It would be better for you and your spouse

Jon Snow raises a good point, but I think that distinction is less relevant in your specific situation where both schools are tier 1 schools. That being said, it would be interesting to know what ranking system you are using to make that distinction. Again, assuming research is your career goals, these programs are considered to be among the best:

http://psych.arizona.edu/apcs/members.php

Also, there is a link floating around on this forum that orders the programs in terms of research productivity. Again, if research is your thing, this may be a more useful ranking system for you to consider.

Another suggestion, if you can retrieve information on your potential labmates (some have CVs available online or per request) this would give you a good indicator about what experiences you are likely to gain as a member of that lab. Also, by all means, ask the professors of interest where their students have end up (both during internship and beyond).

Finally, even if a program has several "leaders" attached to its program, it pays to be aware of how often these mentors and their students collaborate. The seeming wealth of top notch researchers at a particular school will do you little good if they are not on good terms with one another.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

Jon Snow said:
Mentor prestige is important, true, but it all relates. If the faculty is stronger overall at the other school, those are potential committee members, potential letters of rec, and potential networking opportunities that won't be available at a weaker program. I would do what is best for your career. Your spouse should be understanding of that, especially if she has job mobility. It is in his/her best interest as well.

edit:

reread the post. Is the research lab at the "top 15" program as good as the research lab at the "top 50" program? If not, ask the following ?s?

How long does it take for students to graduate out of each lab?

What internship sites have students from those labs attended?

How many publications do students from those labs average?

Where do students from the labs currently work?