Choosing a religious school for Psy.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRRRTolkien

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be applying to Psy.D programs in a few months and I'm having a hard time deciding where to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agree with WisNeuro: the primary areas of focus should be good outcomes (e.g., APA-accredited internship placement rates, EPPP passing and licensure rates, etc.) and locating an advisor/lab that aligns well with your clinical and research interests. And as WisNeuro said, the religiously-affiliated institutions don't always have the same requirements of their grad students as they do their undergrads, although you may still have related codes of conduct, need to take religiously-oriented coursework, etc. Will vary from program to program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the helpful replies! I definitely should be looking at what would be best for me outcome-wise even if I might have to endure some religious coursework hahaha.

The website you posted is only considering the passing rates of EPPP scores. The list does not look at percent obtaining APA internships and percent who get licensed. The outcomes data on each schools website is probably a better measure of "best program" and not that list you cited.

Hi everyone,

I will be applying to Psy.D programs in a few months and I'm having a hard time deciding where to apply. It seems like some of the best programs (according to http://www.bestcounselingdegrees.net/best/psy-d-programs-clinical-psychology/) are located at Christian colleges. I'm an atheist and have little interest in "Christian values" (no offense to Christians, just not my cup of tea), but Baylor University is looking like a great option other than the Christian themes. Any thoughts on this issue?

Well, Jesuits are actually known for their progressive liberal leanings. Checkout Loyola, Catholic University of America, Fordham, Georgetown, Marquette, etc.

Also, plenty of fully funded, non-christian, balanced PhD programs out there for consideration as well.

I have considered PhD programs but I just don't think I'm competitive enough since I don't have much research experience. I would love to work in an academic setting but I don't feel that research is a strength for me.

I have considered PhD programs but I just don't think I'm competitive enough since I don't have much research experience. I would love to work in an academic setting but I don't feel that research is a strength for me.

This may also be an issue for the more reputable PsyD's. Worth looking into your options to see if obtaining more experience may be greatly beneficial down the road.

This may also be an issue for the more reputable PsyD's. Worth looking into your options to see if obtaining more experience may be greatly beneficial down the road.
I will be speaking with my academic advisor once the semester starts to see what my options are. I have helped two professors with research (over the course of 3 semesters), have my name on one of those research papers, and have presented research at an Honors conference. I will also be presenting empirical research at a conference this fall semester, so I'm hoping that another opportunity will arise for me to assist another professor with research before applying anywhere.

What's the big rush in applying for this current cycle?

Why not suspend applying for now, get more research experience over the next year and apply for the fall 2018 cohort? You'd have a much better chance getting into funded programs in general and be more likely to get into a broader selection of programs rather than settling on just who will take you now.

What's the big rush in applying for this current cycle?

Why not suspend applying for now, get more research experience over the next year and apply for the fall 2018 cohort? You'd have a much better chance getting into funded programs in general and be more likely to get into a broader selection of programs rather than settling on just who will take you now.

That is a sensible idea but unfortunately not an option for me.... unless I'm not accepted into any 2017 programs of course haha...

1-2 years to accrue good experience to get into a fully funded program vs 6 figure debt that takes at least a decade and decreased retirement savings, tough call. :)

I will discuss my options with my advisor. Thanks for the input.

I will be speaking with my academic advisor once the semester starts to see what my options are. I have helped two professors with research (over the course of 3 semesters), have my name on one of those research papers, and have presented research at an Honors conference. I will also be presenting empirical research at a conference this fall semester, so I'm hoping that another opportunity will arise for me to assist another professor with research before applying anywhere.
By "having your name on the paper" if that means you are coauthor of a published article that sounds like good experience and spending two years working on research with a couple profs and presenting at a conference also sounds good too. I am not sure if your adviser is steering you in the right direction. I did go to a PsyD program mainly because I didn't have the right information. if I had to do it over again, I would have made the effort to get the research experience and saved myself a lot of money.