Choosing a school dilemma! (Indiana Univ or Western U?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeballerboiler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was wondering if anyone could put their two cents in which school they think would be better in the long run. I've been accepted to both IUSO and WesternU. IUSO has a solid program and prepares you well for the boards. They are VERY well reputed and I know a few people that are currently students there right now and love it.

Western U is a unique, relatively new school that allows you to interact with other health professional students which is a really cool concept. Also, their technology was BEYOND incredible and have state of the art everything. I absolutely loved everything. Their board passing rates are not as high as IUSO.

I am an Indiana resident currently, so financially I will save at least 60-70K by going to IUSO instead of Western. But I feel like the opportunities are more in California.

Honestly, I felt more comfortable at WesternU and its stunning environment. So, my heart is telling me to go to WesternU, but my brain is telling me to go to IUSO. Any advice or is anyone else in a similar situation with two schools? Would the more money investment be better later on? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a situation like yours a few weeks ago. I was deciding between IUSO and OSU. I'm also an Indiana resident and accepted IUSO's offer because of their great reputation, board pass rates, research opportunities and I loved their campus. Another deciding factor was the tuition. Being an in-state resident would save me money in the long run compared to going out of state for school. Also, IUSO has an excellent network of alumni which would definitely come in handy when I graduate and look for a job. I can't speak for Western U but it sounds like a great school. Good luck with your decision!

With your reasoning, I'd say Indiana beyond a shadow of a doubt.

New tech and nice area are perks, but at the end of the day, you are best off with the highest quality education that you can get for the money.

I am personally committed to Indiana, and was deciding between them and OSU. My gut feeling told me to go to Indiana. I loved the area, the school overall felt more welcoming and supportive, and they offered me a scholarship that I couldn't refuse. As an out of state resident, that was crucial, and it even topped OSU's tuition after becoming a resident after a year. IU prepares you extremely well, and they have years of experience. Not to mention there are perks of having a beautiful campus and small town surrounding you with plenty to do when you're taking a study break! I didn't apply to Western U so I can't say much about the school.

financially I will save at least 60-70K by going to IUSO instead of Western.

Which will you be more glad about 5 years from now? Having been able to use fancier equipment during school, or having saved yourself 60-70k (more, in reality) of student debt. I was in a similar situation, and my heart almost won the cage match with my brain. Luckily, instead of tapping out, my brain was able to break free and put my heart in a choke hold. Then my heart was like, "Ok, we'll go to the cheaper school..." As much as I thought I would love California, I'm glad I chose to save money and still receive a great education elsewhere. Now my heart and my brain have lunch together and laugh about the whole thing.

Indiana definitely! I went there for undergrad and their Optometry program is outstanding. All the docs I've worked for and shadowed went to Indiana and highly recommend it.

WesternU: ZERO (0)
Indian U : NINE (9)

there you have it.

question: why're the newest (therefore, ****tier in comparison) schools so much more expensive??

eyeballerboiler: I've had 5 interviews (one of which was Indiana) and been to a Western U preview day. There is no comparison. Western U was THE WORST of 6 schools. It is overpriced, in a dangerous part of town, has no reputation and offers 0 scholarships. Indiana on the other hand is one of my top 2 schools. This is all coming from a California resident...so no comparison.

I don't think having the brand-newest technology should be a main deciding factor when choosing a school. Do you think when you go to work the practice is going to have all that brand new equipment? Probably not. Always good to learn the basics.

Reactions: 1 user