Choosing between undergraduate schools! Help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolypoly27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently a second year at UCSC, and I am in a dilemma. I am not sure if this is the right place to post my problem, but I would really appreciate some input! I applied for a transfer at UCSD, and I got in. I can't decide if going would be a worth while decision to my ultimate goal of becoming a dentist. The conflicting reasons I have are these: I really love it in UCSC with nice people, friends, and I have research work going on here versus if I go to UCSD I would have to start all over again. Second, I am a bioengineering major, so I think if I really fail to be a dentist, maybe I can find a job doing something else; however, if I transfer to UCSD I would be a molecular biology major, and I might have less options. Third, my GPA right now is pretty good 3.83, but going to UCSD might lower my GPA. Fourth, I can't find out which classes I would have to retake at UCSD unless I accept the invitation and I don't want to do more than 4 years.
Basically, I think I lean towards staying in UCSC, but I was wondering if going to a school at UCSD with some more prestige and possible opportunities would make a difference or a huge difference in making me a competitive applicant as a predental student. Sorry for the long description!

Members don't see this ad.

Go where you will be happy. Because a happy student is a good student. When you are mentally and emotionally satisfied you will perform better in your classes. I went to a no name private school in the midwest. I majored in the generic biology, we didn't have more options other than biology or chemistry for science majors. There are 14 of us "biology kids" graduating this spring. None of this hindered me from getting acceptances

To make my point, where you go will do your best. Unless you are gunning for an ivy, the prestige and your major doesn't matter. Have a bomb GPA and DAT and that will do its job to making you competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I would stay at UCSC especially since you already have a lot going. It wouldn't matter where you got your Bachelor's as long as your GPA and DATs are great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep Cruzin, UCSD will just set you back. You're already at a UC, it's a great school and you're doing great also.

Edit: Stick with Bioengineering

I would stay at UCSC especially since you already have a lot going. It wouldn't matter where you got your Bachelor's as long as your GPA and DATs are great.
Go where you will be happy. Because a happy student is a good student. When you are mentally and emotionally satisfied you will perform better in your classes. I went to a no name private school in the midwest. I majored in the generic biology, we didn't have more options other than biology or chemistry for science majors. There are 14 of us "biology kids" graduating this spring. None of this hindered me from getting acceptances

To make my point, where you go will do your best. Unless you are gunning for an ivy, the prestige and your major doesn't matter. Have a bomb GPA and DAT and that will do its job to making you competitive.

I see, thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!!!

Why did you apply for a transfer in the first place? Seems like you really want to stay at UCSC.
At the end he says that he wanted more prestige, and UCSD is a little more difficult to get in to. OP: Going to UCSC vs UCSD will not affect your application.

Why did you apply for a transfer in the first place? Seems like you really want to stay at UCSC.

Partly cause my mom really wanted me to transfer and yeah it seemed like more prestege for dental school as well, but now she says it's my choice if I want to go or not since she knows I try my best.

Go where you will be happy. Because a happy student is a good student. When you are mentally and emotionally satisfied you will perform better in your classes. I went to a no name private school in the midwest. I majored in the generic biology, we didn't have more options other than biology or chemistry for science majors. There are 14 of us "biology kids" graduating this spring. None of this hindered me from getting acceptances.

This sounds exactly like my situation, but in the east. :)

Yep, OP--stay where you are. So long as your grades and DAT are good, it won't matter one bit.

Reactions: 1 users
This sounds exactly like my situation, but in the east. :)

Yep, OP--stay where you are. So long as your grades and DAT are good, it won't matter one bit.

I see thanks!! I hope your situation turns out well too! :)