All Branch Topic (ABT) "Choosing" Duty Station, Living Abroad Worth Anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife is Japanese, and we've been living in Japan for the last 4 years (total of 5 years in Japan). Besides giving a ranked list of where you would like to be stationed, does "life experience" (such as having lived in Japan previously) count any towards where you'll eventually be placed?

In short, does my having lived in Japan previously give me any leg up on being stationed there? Further, I would assume the Navy would be my best shot at being stationed in Japan?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Having previously lived in Japan is unlikely to have any bearing on you getting assigned there. It is all based on what jobs are available and how many people want to go, and I do not know that info. Navy would probably be your best chance as I'm not sure if the Air Force has much in the way of medical facilities over there. They have squadrons, but I don't think they have any hospitals.

Hmmm, kind of a bummer. You'd think they would put some favor on prior exposure, since it should (theoretically) make someone more willing/able to deal with the posting.

But I guess unlike the civilian world you can't cry and say you want to go back home. But still... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say I'm heading out for Army fs next year overseas and I have lived for a year in country. I put that experience in the "additional comments" section of my rank list. I was told by my hrc contact that this got me the spot over other candidates who had not. So it may help you in that sense. But I doubt they'd put you anywhere they don't need you just because of life experienxe

It sounds like your interest for being in medicine is genuine, however, it may/may not work out in your favor to pursue a military option. There are civilian jobs working with the military where you can be stationed in places like Japan or Germany. It depends on the need of the service and if there is a billet open for a civ contractor or not.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at least for the Navy, anyone who WANTS to go to Japan or Guam will likely be able to get there, barring any issues like
- family members who'd fail the overseas screen
- professional problems that limit where the specialty leader wants to put you

But, don't join with your heart set on any one location.

PGG,
I have heard that its tough for at least our community to go from OCONUS to OCONUS billets. If you are already OCONUS its easy to extend. Not sure if this is detailer/specialty leader fluff but something I heard through the grapevine. Any truth?
I will give my 2 cents. I love living abroad. I currently am overseas and really enjoying the life. Professionaly less busy then the states. Your patient population you care for is very wide peds adults, elderly, it does not matter you take care of who shows up or needs your help. I really enjoy learning different cultures and being an active member of the community through church, the hospital, and various outreach programs. You CAN make an impact on the community. Safety is not an issue people do not lock their cars or doors at home. I really enjoy this trip overseas. Almost enough to possibly extend my time with the navy. Sometimes money is not everything, being valued, having transparent leadership, is all worth its weight in gold. Stateside navy was tough, being overseas has rebuilt my faith in the navy.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the Air Force has a pretty substantial medical footprint in Japan. There's a hospital either in or near Tokyo, which is relatively popular. They also send people to Misawa, which is decidedly less popular, but could work for someone like the OP. Like so many things with the military though, accomplishing a very specific goal like that is difficult to do.

I think that there are few enough of us who WANT to go overseas in the Pacific (in contrast plenty want to go to Europe) that a new grad's odds of going to Japan or Guam are pretty good if they ask for it.

But, last time I really paid attention to that was a few years ago. Times change.

A colleague of mine was able to do an exchange with a Naval doc so that he could get to Japan. It wasn't very hard, all he had to have was a mildly acceptable spot in the US and a naval doc who wanted to be there rather than Japan. Obviously, there is a lot of change and circumstance in this sort of thing, but he said it really didn't take any convincing.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ya, I realize that pretty much nothing is guaranteed in the military (well, except being boned at some point?), however if there was anything I could do to increase my chances, I wanted to know about it.

Also, I'm not joining the military purely to try to get back to Japan. It would just be a very nice added bonus to help pass the repayment time. I am however, weighting the Navy more than the other branches since it seems the odds of being placed in Japan would be higher with them then anyone else.

What about foreign language skills? My Japanese is nothing fancy now, but by the time I would graduate I think I could get it up to something that could be of practical use to the military.