Choosing MCAT prep course that fits for non-trad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xtraordinary

PoppySeed Bread Baker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I want to take an MCAT prep course so I don't get behind and have someone to assist me when I am stuck with some questions. I know it's expensive, but I think it will be really helpful to stay on my MCAT prep schedule.

My most feared subject is verbal... English is my second language and I am a slow reader (I came to the US when I was a junior in HS.. I finished ESL in 3 months and took honors and AP courses by second semester of my junior year. I don't know how I did that). I need help with how to read MCAT passage and work on the problems without getting distracted by wrong answers. :eek:

I am pretty good at physical science, organic chem / bio is so-so because I am not good at memorizing. :scared: I took pre-req already so bio part is not something I don't know at all

Among Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Examkrackers (I am not from CA so I can't take TBR course... :/ ), what should I choose? and why? Please share your wisdom =D :idea::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'm doing one of the Kaplan on-campus courses. My job schedule is fairly flexible, so I can fit the weekly sessions into my work schedule. It does have an online component I am working now. I chose Kaplan over the others at the recommendation of several physicians I know that were non-trads and gave it high marks. Plan on spending about 2000.00 for it.

I chose to study on my own the first time I took the mcat with a few kaplan prep books but it didn't really pan out for me. I chose to enroll in an online kaplan course after to prep for the 2nd time around. The content that you use from any prep book is going to be the same but I believe that the online course provides you with a combined 18-20 full length exams between kaplan and aamc full lengths. It also has there q bank which allows you to design custom quizzes which is nice. I found the course very useful due to the amount of practice material you receive. The one knock against it is there scoring curves on their full length exams. There is a discrepancy between their scales and aamc and it can be frustrating when you take a kaplan FL and get a good score then do an aamc and score 2-3 points lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Among Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Examkrackers (I am not from CA so I can't take TBR course... :/ ), what should I choose? and why? Please share your wisdom =D :idea::thumbup:

My wife, who was also a nontraditional student (and is now a general surgeon), swears by Examkrackers. I don't remember all the whys of it, but she managed to do well on her MCAT and get in, so it was all the endorsement I needed. :) Apparently the Examkrackers folks do a very good job of breaking down not only the material but how the exam works.

Probably better to use the SN2ed schedule so that you can have a little more flexibility.

OP, I too am thinking about taking a prep course. In my area, Princeton Review seems to be what most students take. Unfortunately they only have a 3:30-6:00pm live course schedule. Guess I will be saving my pennies and hopefully working part-time or taking 3 or so months off of work to study.

Thank you for your input! I am working and taking classes too... almost no time to study but I really have to! >.< I will probably go with whichever offers the best instructors.. Which companies are good at picking great instructors?? Also which prep is more practice-oriented (not trick-oriented... I am not good at memorizing tricks)?

Any helpful reply is appreciated! <3

It seems to me that you are overthinking this a little bit. All the prep companies do a relatively good job and your MCAT score will improve after taking one of them. But with that being said, I recommend Kaplan :p

I am not good at memorizing. :scared:

You are aware that's all that medical school is, right? A person who's not good at memorizing trying to get an MD is like a person who's bad at math trying to get a PhD in theoretical physics.

Anyway, as far as MCAT prep goes, I'd recommend self-studying. That's mostly what you'll be doing in the classes anyway, except you get a bunch of lectures to sit through which are unnecessary since you can get the same information from books. I self-studied and probably spent close to $900 (not including fees for taking the MCAT and delaying it) by buying the whole TBR set, the TPRH workbooks, the official guide, all the examkrackers 1001/101 books, all the AAMC practice tests, and all the AAMC self-assessments. That's dirt cheap compared to a prep class. It worked well for me too judging by my 39S. Keep in mind I was working full time the whole time too, so it's not like I was one of the many people on this site who take off a whole summer to devote to the MCAT.

You are aware that's all that medical school is, right? A person who's not good at memorizing trying to get an MD is like a person who's bad at math trying to get a PhD in theoretical physics.

I am not asking you to discourage me here. I may not be good at memorizing, but I am not terrible at memorizing. You see the difference right? I just cannot memorize words without tricks very well. I'm good at memorizing pictures though.

Anyway, as far as MCAT prep goes, I'd recommend self-studying. That's mostly what you'll be doing in the classes anyway, except you get a bunch of lectures to sit through which are unnecessary since you can get the same information from books. I self-studied and probably spent close to $900 (not including fees for taking the MCAT and delaying it) by buying the whole TBR set, the TPRH workbooks, the official guide, all the examkrackers 1001/101 books, all the AAMC practice tests, and all the AAMC self-assessments. That's dirt cheap compared to a prep class. It worked well for me too judging by my 39S. Keep in mind I was working full time the whole time too, so it's not like I was one of the many people on this site who take off a whole summer to devote to the MCAT.

I am not asking about self-studying if you read my original post. I know what my weakness is and I need someone to assist me so I don't get behind. I can tell you did not read my post.

Last edited:
where are you located? there is a great course in ny called thinkmcat, its cheap and really does a good job teaching you how to take the mcat and not worry about memorizing tremendous amounts of information

Unfortunately, I am in DC area... it is too far for me to take the MCAT course in NY >.<

I am curious about this as well. I took the test last month and did decent, but am going to retake. I did the SN2ED plan over the summer and said that if I didn't get a good score, I would take a course in the Spring and test again.

I joined the club at school for my major (Microbio) and they get 2 Kaplan courses to auction off every year. They usually go for 12-1500 dollars, so it isn't a bad deal. However, I have heard good things about Examcrackers.

Just not sure which way to go...

I am curious about this as well. I took the test last month and did decent, but am going to retake. I did the SN2ED plan over the summer and said that if I didn't get a good score, I would take a course in the Spring and test again.

I joined the club at school for my major (Microbio) and they get 2 Kaplan courses to auction off every year. They usually go for 12-1500 dollars, so it isn't a bad deal. However, I have heard good things about Examcrackers.

Just not sure which way to go...

Smart. I would just go for that Kaplan course; the price is right.

You have probably already figured out what course you are going to use, but I've only just started Princeton Review and it seems great. One benefit is that there seemed to be many more options for the Live Online class times compared to Kaplan Online. That was my deciding factor, knowing I wanted to go the online-live class route.

Good luck!