choosing neurology: the good and the bad (and bad is ugly)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
will probably catch some flack for posting such a general title. could you give 3 pros vs 3 cons for choosing this field and then an overall idea of outlook for the field's future in the next couple of decades (positive vs negative)?

thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros: The field is interesting, therapeutics are taking off, there is a lot of diversity in pathology and types of practice.

Cons: The pay is on the low end, procedures always seem to be in a turf war with a richer and more influential specialty, and there are still large swaths of patients for whom we have nothing of real value.

Outlook: That really depends on what kind of medicine you want to practice and where healthcare goes as a whole. The science of neurology has a great future. The systems side of things is more unknown which is common to most fields.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree I think vascular neurologists or other specialized (sleep, Neuro-Onc) make a lot more money than most f medicine Subspecialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
What vascular jobs have you seen that approach the average for cards or GI? I haven't seen any.

Besides cards and GI Neuro-Onc and Vascular makes more than most of medicine subspecialties. It is about what you the most not money! Plus if someone wants GI or Cards those can be only obtained from doing residency at a good program

Pros:
1. Cash
2. Speedboats
3. Universal reverence

Cons:
1. False, there are no cons
2. Everyone is going to want to do it after they see this post
3. I may cure all the neuro diseases, so none left for you (hence no speedboats)

Reactions: 5 users
Are the speedboats complementary or do we have to buy them with some of pro #1?

Besides cards and GI Neuro-Onc and Vascular makes more than most of medicine subspecialties. It is about what you the most not money! Plus if someone wants GI or Cards those can be only obtained from doing residency at a good program
Uh... I don't know anything about neuro sub-specialties, but cardio and GI aren't the only money makers in IM. I would say heme onc, pulm/CC (on the upswing), and allergy have as good prospects as GI and cards.

In addition to money, neurology gets you the girls. Or the guys, if that's your thing.

Uh... I don't know anything about neuro sub-specialties, but cardio and GI aren't the only money makers in IM. I would say heme onc, pulm/CC (on the upswing), and allergy have as good prospects as GI and cards.
If placed on the continuum of IM subspecialties in terms of average income, neuro would be pretty much in the middle if not slightly below.
In addition to money, neurology gets you the girls. Or the guys, if that's your thing.
As the guys in the Big Bang Theory are clearly rolling in the womenfolk, I have to say that your hypothesis is correct.

PLEASE give me a way to get a girl using neuro. Every time i try i get a "oh my dad had a stroke" or "wow you're going to do BRAIN SURGERY?!?"

You have the order all wrong. First you get the speedboat. Speedboats are an aphrodisiac regardless of gender. Let the speedboat do the work.

Reactions: 1 user
You have the order all wrong. First you get the speedboat. Speedboats are an aphrodisiac regardless of gender. Let the speedboat do the work.

hopefully i matched in idaho...ill be the only neurologist with a speedboat. have a leg up on all the other neurologists.

will probably catch some flack for posting such a general title. could you give 3 pros vs 3 cons for choosing this field and then an overall idea of outlook for the field's future in the next couple of decades (positive vs negative)?

thanks all.
Have you checked out the "concern about neurology" thread? It has quite a bit of replies and includes alot of commentary that you are seeking.

Have you checked out the "concern about neurology" thread? It has quite a bit of replies and includes alot of commentary that you are seeking.
No, but I will! Thanks!

Thank you to the others who responded as well; I actually appreciate the wiseass responses (and probably deserve em).