Choosing podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinosaur190

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one semester left to complete my undergraduate degree and am thinking about applying to podiatry school for the entering class of fall 2007. I will have a B.S. in Nutrition w/ a chem minor from UF, and currently have a 3.9 sci GPA and 3.85 cum. Any advice/info on the things I could do to strengthen my application and my chances for acceptance (and possibly scholarship) to podiatry school would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

dinosaur190 said:
I have one semester left to complete my undergraduate degree and am thinking about applying to podiatry school for the entering class of fall 2007. I will have a B.S. in Nutrition w/ a chem minor from UF, and currently have a 3.9 sci GPA and 3.85 cum. Any advice/info on the things I could do to strengthen my application and my chances for acceptance (and possibly scholarship) to podiatry school would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting in, so long as you score a 20+ on the MCAT.

dinosaur190 said:

Thanks in advance.

Your GPA looks excellent!! :)

All you need is the pre-req's for medical school: Biology, Chem, Physics, English. And have an OK MCAT and you should be fine. Some schools allow other tests like the GRE or DAT, but personally I would take the MCAT because all schools accept it. Like was posted previously, if you have >20 MCAT you should be able to get into any DPM school.

When it gets closer to the application date next sept., you should apply early to get scholarships. With your GPA you should be eligible for some good scholarships. For example, I applied in the middle of Oct this last year and got into Scholl's with a 50% tuition scholarship ( I consider Scholl one of the best POD schools). Also, I got into Barry University with a $6000 scholarship each year if I keep a B average.

My Stats: Human Biology B.S., Chem minor
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 19L
20L (4VR :eek: )

So if you apply early next year you should be able to get into any school you want, probably with a good scholarship.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
doclm said:
Your GPA looks excellent!! :)

All you need is the pre-req's for medical school: Biology, Chem, Physics, English. And have an OK MCAT and you should be fine. Some schools allow other tests like the GRE or DAT, but personally I would take the MCAT because all schools accept it. Like was posted previously, if you have >20 MCAT you should be able to get into any DPM school.

When it gets closer to the application date next sept., you should apply early to get scholarships. With your GPA you should be eligible for some good scholarships. For example, I applied in the middle of Oct this last year and got into Scholl's with a 50% tuition scholarship ( I consider Scholl one of the best POD schools). Also, I got into Barry University with a $6000 scholarship each year if I keep a B average.

My Stats: Human Biology B.S., Chem minor
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 19L
20L (4VR :eek: )

So if you apply early next year you should be able to get into any school you want, probably with a good scholarship.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Also, I forgot to mention that your GPA plays a large role in getting into a POD school and getting a scholarship. You can find this info on the admission pages of the school your interested in. I know that if your appl. looks good and there are still scholarships avaliable Scholl will give you a 50% tuition if your GPA is 3.6 and up.

dinosaur190 said:

Thanks in advance.

Shadow, shadow, and shadow! You've got good stats but upon interviewing, they will want to see that you have a basic idea of what pods do. They will also want to know ways that you've taken an interest in podiatric medicine. Shadowing a podiatrist is a perfect way to accomplish both of these.