Choosing Recommendation Letter Writer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aydee14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am having trouble deciding who to ask to write my third letter of rec. Option A is a professor who taught half of the semester of my first research class. I also TA'ed for him. He wrote a letter for me last time around, and I believe it was strong, but he was a little late in getting a couple in. Option B is a professor who has not advised any of my research, but I took many of his classes and performed well. A friend of mine said he had her letters written and submitted very quickly. My other two letter writers are a professor who was my advisor for an independent research project and my supervisor for a summer research internship. I know Ph.D. programs like to assess how you can perform as a researcher, so Option A might be better in terms of that, but is it worth the risk of him submitting them late?

I'm applying to balanced clinical programs, if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am having trouble deciding who to ask to write my third letter of rec. Option A is a professor who taught half of the semester of my first research class. I also TA'ed for him. He wrote a letter for me last time around, and I believe it was strong, but he was a little late in getting a couple in. Option B is a professor who has not advised any of my research, but I took many of his classes and performed well. A friend of mine said he had her letters written and submitted very quickly. My other two letter writers are a professor who was my advisor for an independent research project and my supervisor for a summer research internship. I know Ph.D. programs like to assess how you can perform as a researcher, so Option A might be better in terms of that, but is it worth the risk of him submitting them late?

I'm applying to balanced clinical programs, if that helps.

Option A and give him very early fake deadlines.