Choosing schools to apply to... HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikkiMD19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's all the info... let me know what you think:

• 22, F, Hispanic-American, Florida resident
  • 3.62 BCPM
  • 3.65 Overall
  • MCAT 1: 23O (10P, 4V, 9B)
  • MCAT 2: 31O (11P, 10V, 10B)
  • Please see my mdapps profile for list of ECs
List of schools I think I have a chance at:

(I definitely want to narrow down the list, though)
  • George Washington University
  • Georgetown
  • University of Central Florida COM -- new med school
  • Florida International University COM -- new med school, where I went for undergrad
  • University of South Florida
  • University of Florida
  • Florida State University
  • University of Miami
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola Stritch SOM
  • Tulane
  • Boston University
  • Tufts University
  • Albany Medical College
  • Albert Einstein
  • New York Medical College
  • Drexel University
  • Jefferson Medical College
  • Penn State
  • Temple University
  • University of Vermont
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
Reach Schools:

(WAMC at these schools?)
  • Emory
  • Columbia
  • Cornell
  • New York University SOM
I was planning on applying to about 20 schools... how many reach schools should I apply to? Is it even worth it to apply to the reach schools with my GPA?

THANKS!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am Hispanic too...man I'll tell you forget the 4 your first time on VR...they will be impressed with the 6 pt jump.

We are rare in the medical field and they love to have us...30+ is solid for any app but throw in the fact that you are probably ESL and a under-rep minority and you should apply to EVERYWHERE!!!
good luck

With all due respect, being Hispanic-American gives you an advantage that applicants of many other backgrounds (Caucasian and Asian, for example) do not have. With that in mind, I'd say it's worth a shot at the four reach schools on your list.

You've selected a core group of schools that gives you an excellent chance of at least one acceptance. At this stage, my advice is apply to as many schools as you like so long as you have even a remote chance and can afford it. I'd recommend keeping the four reach schools.

If you want to eliminate a few schools from your core list, consider eliminating: VCU, Temple, Vermont, Penn State, Einstein and Tulane. I wouldn't want to live in New Orleans, but that's up to you. This gives 16 core schools and four reaches, for a total of 20. You can add more reaches if you like.

With all due respect, being Hispanic-American gives you an advantage that applicants of many other backgrounds (Caucasian and Asian, for example) do not have. With that in mind, I'd say it's worth a shot at the four reach schools on your list.

You've selected a core group of schools that gives you an excellent chance of at least one acceptance. At this stage, my advice is apply to as many schools as you like so long as you have even a remote chance and can afford it. I'd recommend keeping the four reach schools.

If you want to eliminate a few schools from your core list, consider eliminating: VCU, Temple, Vermont, Penn State, Einstein and Tulane. I wouldn't want to live in New Orleans, but that's up to you. This gives 16 core schools and four reaches, for a total of 20. You can add more reaches if you like.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I already submitted the AMCAS and applied to a total of 22 schools... I only applied to 2 reach schools though (NYU and Emory). I'm pretty happy with my list... you can check it out on my mdapps.

Again, thanks for your opinion! :D