Choosing schools to apply to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happymango

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so OptomCAS is up today! I am ever so confused about which schools to apply to and was hoping for some feedback.

First, here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.42
Science GPA: 3.21

QR: 330
RC: 370
BIO: 360
GC: 300
ORGO: 290
PHYS: 290
TS: 310
AA: 320

I plan on taking my OATS again in Aug. and then submitting my presumably finished application then. Just a bit more background about myself: I go to one of the top 10 undergrad universities in the US (gosh I hope that helps my GPA), got a C and C+ in GC and a C and D in Orgo ... but have picked it up since then (I think I just really dislike chemistry). I graduated this past May with a BS in Bio.

I'm having a tough time deciding what schools I should apply to. Career services at my school recommend that optometry applicants should apply to 5-7 schools. But, with my poor grades in chemistry and orgo, I don't know if I should err on the safe side and maybe apply to 8 or even more? I was thinking of applying to WUCO and RSO because they seem to be the best of the non accredited schools. Then PCO, NECO, and NOVA. Then reaching for SCCO, SUNY, and maybe UCB?

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a 99% chance you will have to retake orgo 2. Most should require a C or higher in all prerequisite classes and organic 2 is one of them. Check opted.org, there is a master chart of all the schools and all prerequisites. Your gpa is pretty good, I don't think you will have too much of a problem getting into schools. If you want to retake the oat to get 10 or 20 more points, go for it. But I wouldnt waste money applying to 8+ schools. I had a lower GPA than you but a 340 oat and applied to 6. I interviewed at my favorite 2 a week apart and canceled the rest after Igoe into both. I wasnt going to spend a fortune on schools I wasnt thrilled about. Good luck :) apply early though!!!

Hey guys, so OptomCAS is up today! I am ever so confused about which schools to apply to and was hoping for some feedback.

First, here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.42
Science GPA: 3.21

QR: 330
RC: 370
BIO: 360
GC: 300
ORGO: 290
PHYS: 290
TS: 310
AA: 320

I plan on taking my OATS again in Aug. and then submitting my presumably finished application then. Just a bit more background about myself: I go to one of the top 10 undergrad universities in the US (gosh I hope that helps my GPA), got a C and C+ in GC and a C and D in Orgo ... but have picked it up since then (I think I just really dislike chemistry). I graduated this past May with a BS in Bio.

I'm having a tough time deciding what schools I should apply to. Career services at my school recommend that optometry applicants should apply to 5-7 schools. But, with my poor grades in chemistry and orgo, I don't know if I should err on the safe side and maybe apply to 8 or even more? I was thinking of applying to WUCO and RSO because they seem to be the best of the non accredited schools. Then PCO, NECO, and NOVA. Then reaching for SCCO, SUNY, and maybe UCB?

Any advice?

I would think about where you want to live and practice after you graduate. I've heard that students that went to the East Coast had a hard time finding jobs in the West Coast after they graduated and vise-versa. Third of your time in Optometry school should be networking with ODs in your area. Consider if you want to live in your hometown or if you want to practice in a city vs. rural area. If you bring your OAT up to a 350+ you should have no problem getting in anywhere besides Berk or SUNY- good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! About the prereqs, from what I checked, only PCO wanted two semesters and they say that you can take Biochem for the second semester of orgo so I did that and got a B (whew).

Ugh, I wish I had greater clarity about where I want to live and practice in the future! I've only lived in one state my whole life (and it's been pretty good) so I'm not sure what is out there. Probably a lot haha. But I am reassured that my academic performance thus far won't be killing my chances for options. Again, I thank both of you!

Thanks guys! About the prereqs, from what I checked, only PCO wanted two semesters and they say that you can take Biochem for the second semester of orgo so I did that and got a B (whew).

Ugh, I wish I had greater clarity about where I want to live and practice in the future! I've only lived in one state my whole life (and it's been pretty good) so I'm not sure what is out there. Probably a lot haha. But I am reassured that my academic performance thus far won't be killing my chances for options. Again, I thank both of you!

I would look at if you can save money by living closer to home or do some research and see which states pay optometrists the highest salaries. Texas has no state taxes so that's also something to consider.