About the ads

Choosing the right major

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Lrivs92, Apr 14, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the OAT
  1. Lrivs92

Lrivs92

Pre-Optometry
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am taking all the required classes for optometry however, Will being a psychology major instead of science major hinder my chances of being admitted to Optometry school?
  2. jdom29

jdom29

Pre-Optometry
  3. thecgrblue

thecgrblue Enjoyin' the journey

SDN 2+ Year Member
    No, but a psychology major will hinder you from getting any sort of good-paying job if you don't go directly to OD school.
  4. Shnurek

Shnurek

Optometry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    +1 :)
  5. optoapp2012

optoapp2012

Optometry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Honestly so many people have jobs that have nothing to do with their undergrad degrees though. I worked for a couple years after college and it had absolutely nothing to do with my undergrad degree.

I also got into all the OD schools I applied to and I was a sociology major, so you'll be fine :) Some of them really like having non-science majors because it brings variety of backgrounds to a class.
  6. OATAcer

OATAcer

Pre-Optometry
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Doesn't matter what major you go for. Just do what you like and get good grades on the pre-req's for optometry school.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  7. Commando303

Commando303

SDN 5+ Year Member
    People seem often to ask about the link between their major and their success in, or even admission to, a program; largely (I'd say), there is no relation: Your "major" simply determines which courses you will have to take to earn a certain degree. So, if you major in, say, basket-weaving, you might have to take classes in the history of threads, in types of needles, in various colors, and in general basket designs. Optometry school doesn't particularly care about these things, one way or the other: "A"s in all four courses won't help I.C.O. see you in a more positive way, but they certainly won't hurt you, either.

What professional schools care mostly about is how you've performed in courses that are relevant to their program; these classes are laid out in the pre-requisites for application. Yes, doing well in a few "above-and-beyond" subjects can make your application stand out — so, it may be nice if your major has you take Super-Duper-Advanced Biochemistry, III, in which you happen to get a good grade. But, colleges like also to see "well-rounded candidates": that advanced course in science may look good, but, now, all those "A"s in basket-weaving, too, can increase your appeal.
  8. thecgrblue

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yep, like me. If I had studied something like accounting, finance, engineering, etc. and still knocked out my pre-reqs instead of physiology I could easily land a decent job instead of the poverty-paying ones I have now.

But that is just me.
  9. Shnurek

Shnurek

Optometry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Its true. I seriously considered engineering as a major. I feel that maybe I can even do that in the future. Help design exam lanes or slit lamps or whatever. Accounting and finance are great to make money with just a bachelor's too but its not my cup of tea. Its so fascinating to just walk around and have knowledge about the natural world and how it works. [​IMG]

Something to this extent except I don't see variables, I just understand what I see a lot more now after studying all the sciences and I can't wait to learn more about eyes, vision and optics and be able to understand how binoculars, telescopes, slit lamps, illumination, and people's eyes work among many many other things. I remember when I shadowed an OD and the way he looked at my eyes like he had this knowledge in him really intrigued me. He began analyzing them immediately when I met him and I want to see what he saw one day. Even now I notice my cat's pupil reactions when hes about to pounce at my dangling rope. I never noticed this before and its the little things like this that make me really think I've made the right decision in my profession.
  10. thecgrblue

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha, love that image.

I took was on a date with girl and went hiking. We got to a cliff and she wondered how high it was.

So, I threw a rock off the edge and did kinematics in the dirt...she probably wasn't impressed, but I didn't care.
  11. Shnurek

Shnurek

Optometry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's awesome haha

x=vt + 1/2at^2 good ol physics