cigarettes in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfactant

Al Herpin
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any smokers in medical school? I wondering if i should i be a closet smoker while in medical school because everyone in UG hates on smokers.

DONT TELL ME TO QUIT!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not smoke, but I would think that being a closet smoker would be the best move. Although I do not share the opinion I do believe that smokers are some of the most hated individuals in modern society.
I do support bans on smoking in public places

Last edited:
I do not smoke, but I would think that being a closet smoker would be the best move. Although I do not share the opinion I do believe that smokers are some of the most hated individuals in modern society.

+1, I completely agree and am in the exact same boat.

I also dislike the policy in my state that banned smoking in restaurants. Imo, the restaurant owner should decide his/her own policy and if non-smokers cannot handle smokers, they can simply go and eat some place else.

Smokers don't bother me, though I won't let you smoke in my car or in my home.

Members don't see this ad :)

great advice.

Switch to snuff or chew. Problem solved.

Smoked a pack a day while studying for the MCAT. I quit afterwards during the application process after my pre-med advisor called me out on it :mad:

Felt great ever since. Either quit or keep it a secret because it will not do you any favors. It makes you look very unprofessional especially if you are practicing medicine.

When I left my KCUMB there was a guy smoking on the sidewalk between parking lots in scrubs, which if you attend an interview there you will find out that indicates he was a med student. I personally know more doctors than smoke than those that don't. Granted I know about 5 doctors. You'll be fine. You'll be no worse than I will be.

Any smokers in medical school? I wondering if i should i be a closet smoker while in medical school because everyone in UG hates on smokers.

DONT TELL ME TO QUIT!
Out of my class of 270, I've ever seen 2-3 people smoking. I'm sure people are hiding it. But remember, if you're hiding it, but still doing it and then hanging around your peers, their noses will pick up on it quite quickly.

I've been a "closet smoker"(sounds dirty almost) all 3 yrs of my undergrad thus far...see my HST icon. Can't complain. You get the benefits of a smoking a Joe/cig/lighting up without being looked down on by your nonsmoking peers. It's a win/win situation(minus the lung cancer...I'll cross that bridge when i get there). I learned to shower/ wash your hair afterwards in high school so my dad(doctor) wouldn't give me the whole bad for your health talk. Do that after you smoke and brush those pearly whites and no one will be able to tell. You can HAVE your cake and EAT it,too.

smoking doesn't dictate whether you are a great, good or bad doctor. people should get over it.

Medical profession has been known for being good at giving advice but not taking it.

smoking doesn't dictate whether you are a great, good or bad doctor. people should get over it.

hmmmm....I think it speaks to the quality of physician to some degree. I probably wouldn't take nutrition advice from an obese doctor, or psychiatric advice from a cocaine addicted psychiatrist. Everyone is different though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Although I am a libertarian at heart, the fatal flaw in this argument is that the employees are subjected to constant second-hand smoke. Imagine being some unfortunate employee who works at a restaurant/bar for decades. The risk of cancer from second-hand smoke for that unforunate employee increases dramatically for that victim (term intended, it's not their fault). The key selling point behind the bans on indoor smoking is not primarily to appease folks who don't smoke and would like to eat there, it's for the employees.

Would you be okay if I opened up an Asbestos-Themed Restaurant and advertised that we have/love our loose Asbestos? Personally, I love inhaling asbestos before a tough exam, it really relaxes me and if you don't want to take the health risks than don't eat here. And I know there are a lot of folks who will patronize Cornell08's Asbestos Sports Bar.

I also dislike the policy in my state that banned smoking in restaurants. Imo, the restaurant owner should decide his/her own policy and if non-smokers cannot handle smokers, they can simply go and eat some place else.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Although I am a libertarian at heart, the fatal flaw in this argument is that the employees are subjected to constant second-hand smoke. Imagine being some unfortunate employee who works at a restaurant/bar for decades. The risk of cancer from second-hand smoke for that unforunate employee increases dramatically for that victim (term intended, it's not their fault). The key selling point behind the bans on indoor smoking is not primarily to appease folks who don't smoke and would like to eat there, it's for the employees.

Would you be okay if I opened up an Asbestos-Themed Restaurant and advertised that we have/love our loose Asbestos? Personally, I love inhaling asbestos before a tough exam, it really relaxes me and if you don't want to take the health risks than don't eat here. And I know there are a lot of folks who will patronize Cornell08's Asbestos Sports Bar.

Personal liberty stops at the point you are hurting someone else or infringing on their rights.

That said, people don't have to work in places where there is smoke. If they take the job knowing that thats the deal then that's their deicision. It's not the same as asbestos because we all know the dangers of second hand smoke. People didn't know that asbestos was dangerous.

I would support an indoor smoking ban (except for bars). But smoking in public on the street or in the park or somewhere outdoors seems fine to me.

When I was quitting I tried Snus. You don't salivate so it doesn't require spitting (goes in upper lip). It is a lot cleaner than dip. You should try it. It was a godsend; helped me a lot. When you are on campus and you need some nicotine use Snus and when you can smoke privately you have cigarettes. I would not recommend buying any American brand Snus like the ones you find in a gas station. They are nothing like the real thing and are horrible (anything that sits on a shelf at room temperature is garbage). Go to a smoke shop and pick up some good Swedish Snus -- a good brand to start off with is called "General".

EDIT:

By the way, once you get used to it you can use it anywhere, anytime, and no one will notice. Used it in class all the time, never looked guilty and was able to talk normally.

Last edited:

Thank God most places have banned smoking in restaurants. Having a smoking section and a non smoking section was so pathetic...they were literally right next to each other. Did managers really think the smoke itself knew to stay in its own section? I always had to request a seat FAR away from the smoking section, not just directly beyond the imaginary "no smoking line"

Second hand smoke kills, it's unethical and reckless to smoke around other people. And if smokers can't suck it up for an hour or two to eat in a restaurant THEY can eat at home.

Thank God most places have banned smoking in restaurants. Having a smoking section and a non smoking section was so pathetic...they were literally right next to each other. Did managers really think the smoke itself knew to stay in its own section? I always had to request a seat FAR away from the smoking section, not just directly beyond the imaginary "no smoking line"

Second hand smoke kills, it's unethical and reckless to smoke around other people. And if smokers can't suck it up for an hour or two to eat in a restaurant THEY can eat at home.

you sound fun.

If a doctor told me to stop smoking but was a smoker himself I'd tell him to blow it out his ass. If a doctor walked into the office to see me smelling like cigarettes I'd walk out the door. Doctors should be a role model for healthcare, not a hypocrite. I'm not saying be a saint, but IMO smoking in the medical profession is and should be looked down upon.

If a doctor told me to stop smoking but was a smoker himself I'd tell him to blow it out his ass. If a doctor walked into the office to see me smelling like cigarettes I'd walk out the door. Doctors should be a role model for healthcare, not a hypocrite. I'm not saying be a saint, but IMO smoking in the medical profession is and should be looked down upon.

This is a fun sentiment, but what should be done and what is done are completely different. Look at politicians saying gay marriage ruins traditional marriage but are on their fifth marriage themselves. or bobybuilders and fitness models ruining their kidneys. what about magazines advertising for women to have a body that is generally unhealthy? lawyers who are occasional pot smokers. the millions of other examples i could list, and so on and so forth.

Americans are quick to bastardize smokers for being disgusting and then go wolf down 3 big macs from mcdonalds. If a doctor wants to smoke, who cares. He probably knows the negatives better than anyone. it makes me laugh the people are so easy to ridicule everyone else's faults. Like that old saying, "how can you see the splinter in your neighbor's eye when you can't see the log in your own?"

This is a fun sentiment, but what should be done and what is done are completely different. Look at politicians saying gay marriage ruins traditional marriage but are on their fifth marriage themselves. or bobybuilders and fitness models ruining their kidneys. what about magazines advertising for women to have a body that is generally unhealthy? lawyers who are occasional pot smokers. the millions of other examples i could list, and so on and so forth.

Americans are quick to bastardize smokers for being disgusting and then go wolf down 3 big macs from mcdonalds. If a doctor wants to smoke, who cares. He probably knows the negatives better than anyone. it makes me laugh the people are so easy to ridicule everyone else's faults. Like that old saying, "how can you see the splinter in your neighbor's eye when you can't see the log in your own?"

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to quote Jesus on this thread. I agree that nobody, in any profession, is perfect; but the professions you listed don't make their livings by teaching/enforcing principles. I think a more suitable analogy to a physician who smokes would be a cop who sells drugs. Both professions exist because they have been charged with maintaining certain standards, and a physician who weighs 400 lbs, smokes, or does drugs is by far more guilty of hypocrisy than a steroid-using body builder.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to quote Jesus on this thread. I agree that nobody, in any profession, is perfect; but the professions you listed don't make their livings by teaching/enforcing principles. I think a more suitable analogy to a physician who smokes would be a cop who sells drugs. Both professions exist because they have been charged with maintaining certain standards, and a physician who weighs 400 lbs, smokes, or does drugs is by far more guilty of hypocrisy than a steroid-using body builder.

Didn't know that was jesus. Hm.... so a doctor who never says "don't smoke" would be ok? What about a surgeon who isn't really charged for maintaining a certain standard. And I don't see the connection in saying one thing is better than the other. Overworking, stress, bad diet, lack of sleep, etc. can all have effects on the body that are as bad as smoking, yet these are not only embraced in medicine but encouraged. if a doctor smokes, how does that change me. If people don't want to see him, oh well. if he says don't smoke, people shrug him off. how does that make him/her the perfect person to hate?

Edit: a cops job is to uphold law. A doctors to prolong life. So an equal analogy would a doctor killing someone on purpose and a police officer selling drugs. A better analogy to a doctor smoking would be a police officer going 5 miles over. Still illegal but not the same as selling drugs.

Last edited:
I don't care about smoking, I just like having sex. As long as there's time for that in med school im good. Everyone has their vice. Mine is lust. Some people prefer to stick cigs in their mouth.

I really can't judge with all the stuff ive done, lol. People are people..who cares. As long as you dont wave a cig in in my face im good.

Yeah...

I don't smoke or drink, but I don't really care of other people do; otherwise I'd have no friends... hah.

As long as it doesn't affect me or other people in any way, I'm fine with it. I have a bigger problem with drinkers than smokers, tbh... only because when some people drink, they act like ridiculous fools and become a detriment to everyone around them. Not everyone is like this though.

Anyway...

I don't care about smoking, I just like having sex. As long as there's time for that in med school im good. Everyone has their vice. Mine is lust. Some people prefer to stick cigs in their mouth.

I really can't judge with all the stuff ive done, lol. People are people..who cares. As long as you dont wave a cig in in my face im good.

:banana:

Very few of my classmates regularly smoke tobacco. The few that openly do are often criticized behind their backs. If you're going to smoke, I recommend you do it secretly. A fair amount of students will have an occasional cigarette at random parties, which seems to be more socially accepted.

I'm not too surprised to see campuses starting to go smoke free. Every hospital in my area has recently gone smoke free. They have given the smokers places to smoke that are enclosed, etc and honestly it's a big political move. That being said there a ton of healthcare professionals that do smoke, so might have to go by what is seen at your school.

I'm not too surprised to see campuses starting to go smoke free. Every hospital in my area has recently gone smoke free. They have given the smokers places to smoke that are enclosed, etc and honestly it's a big political move. That being said there a ton of healthcare professionals that do smoke, so might have to go by what is seen at your school.
Its all about image, to be honest. If hospitals don't follow suit, they lose street cred. People like smoke free places.

An observation I can make is the amount of physicians smoking is <<< than other health-care professionals.

They have a right to smoke just as much as you have a right not to smoke. If you don't like it, you
can eat at home.

I have nothing against retaurant owners (or any private property owner) who decide to ban smoking on their property. The government, however, should not be making restaurants ban smoking in doors. As I've said, if non-smokers don't like it, they can eat elsewhere. I don't know about other states, but the MO legislature is talking about an outright ban on indoor smoking. That means that ever cigar bar owner will go out of business. Stupid imo.

They have a right to smoke just as much as you have a right not to smoke. If you don't like it, you
can eat at home.

I have nothing against retaurant owners (or any private property owner) who decide to ban smoking on their property. The government, however, should not be making restaurants ban smoking in doors. As I've said, if non-smokers don't like it, they can eat elsewhere. I don't know about other states, but the MO legislature is talking about an outright ban on indoor smoking. That means that ever cigar bar owner will go out of business. Stupid imo.
I agree with you in essence, but definitely am in favor of segregated bars and restaurants. The ability to walk into a smoke-free bar is huge for asthmatics (I'm not one but have friends that are). However, as I have enjoyed a good hookah while abroad I do see why people enjoy smoking at bars especially.

I agree with you in essence, but definitely am in favor of segregated bars and restaurants. The ability to walk into a smoke-free bar is huge for asthmatics (I'm not one but have friends that are). However, as I have enjoyed a good hookah while abroad I do see why people enjoy smoking at bars especially.

Oh definitely. I'm not a smoker, and smokers don't necessarily bother me, but it is much nicer to be in a smoke-free environment. The only thing I'm against is the government forcing restaurants/bars to be smoke free and people complaining that smokers are ruining their lives. I like the outcome of the government regulations, I just don't like that the restaurant owners don't even have control of their restaurant.

Oh definitely. I'm not a smoker, and smokers don't necessarily bother me, but it is much nicer to be in a smoke-free environment. The only thing I'm against is the government forcing restaurants/bars to be smoke free and people complaining that smokers are ruining their lives. I like the outcome of the government regulations, I just don't like that the restaurant owners don't even have control of their restaurant.

It's a lot easier for a smoker - they can just walk outside when they get the urge. The reverse is not true - having a smoking section in a restaurant means the nonsmoker cannot eat there without breathing in smoke. It simply makes more sense to have places be smoke free

It's a lot easier for a smoker - they can just walk outside when they get the urge. The reverse is not true - having a smoking section in a restaurant means the nonsmoker cannot eat there without breathing in smoke. It simply makes more sense to have places be smoke free

That's true, and I understand where you're coming from. I just don't like that the owner of the restaurant doesn't get to decide whether or not he runs a smoke-free establishment. I'm all for smoke free environments, just not how they have been established in my state.

That's true, and I understand where you're coming from. I just don't like that the owner of the restaurant doesn't get to decide whether or not he runs a smoke-free establishment. I'm all for smoke free environments, just not how they have been established in my state.
I would agree that this should be an individual owner decision, not the government's decision. However in the days of big government this will become more and more the case...

This makes sense. But I think there are enough places where people don't typically smoke to give non-smokers other options. No point in trying to "beat the system" here... just go around it.

I've become accustomed to places where people smoke... it's impossible to go anywhere without breathing it in. Bowling alleys, bars, clubs --- it's going to be there. I don't mind that at all since there's enough crud in the air as it is (especially in the large, commercialized city I'm from), but if someone is smoking right next to me and the actual, visible smoke is blowing straight in my face and the other guy knows it, that's when I have issues... since I'm sure nobody wants that. I probably wouldn't bring it up... I'd just move.

I would think it's nobody's business. I would be quite taken aback to hear students talk negatively about others' smoking. I've been in situations like that before and I openly rip people for being judgmental. Food for thought.

I would think it's nobody's business. I would be quite taken aback to hear students talk negatively about others' smoking. I've been in situations like that before and I openly rip people for being judgmental. Food for thought.

:thumbup: I'm not a smoker but I completely agree with you. Of all things, cigarettes should not be the stumbling block for people to nit pick.

I disagree. Smoking is an addiction, so I don't necessarily hold it against a doctor for not being able to kick the habit. You can say "learn from my mistakes" and that's completely valid. You can also say "it's unhealthy but I don't care." It doesn't mean smoking stops being bad and you'd have to tell him to blow it out his ass (whatever that means). I'm a non-smoker by choice, so I'm not going to be bitchy because someone has another choice. Role models are a bunch of BS. Information is either factual or not.

Get out much?

To the OP,

I recently quit smoking (AGAIN) to save money for school. But I still get everything I got from smoking and more. How you ask? E-cig! it's amazing! doesn't stink, adjustable nicotine, no carcinogens, etc. My E-cig chokes smokers, it gives me the hand-to-mouth, throat hit, nicotine, and morning buzz (just pointing out that it works, not that I tried to get morning buzzes lol) that real cigs gave me but in a much healthier more hidable way.

Oh and as a pack-a-day smoker I spend approx. $10 a month on supplies and liquid after an initial investment of $100

I recommend it to everyone, only downside is that they are very hit-or-miss. You have to try out different things, find your sweet spot, and hope it doesn't get changed. I recommend a variable voltage mod device just because different liquids react differently to voltage. Some liquids are great at 5v but horrible at 3.2v (standard voltage).

check out the vapor-talk forums and myvaporstore. look at the mvari kit.

Also, as a professional Firefighter, I got dirty looks and snide remarks from people about my smoking. Basically, if you are in the capacity of saving lives you are held to a higher standard by society. A good analogy would be a Dr. that smokes is like a Firefighter who plays with matches.

or bobybuilders and fitness models ruining their kidneys.

High protein intakes have only been shown to be detrimental to people with impaired kidney function. Don't perpetuate this ignorance, they aren't "ruining their kidneys"

High protein intakes have only been shown to be detrimental to people with impaired kidney function. Don't perpetuate this ignorance, they aren't "ruining their kidneys"

3opoqy.jpg

I agree.

IMO you can do whatever you want... Just don't expect other people to pick up your tab when you have to deal with the consequences. Keep in mind that more and more hospitals (cleveland clinic, as an example) will not hire you as a resident if you are a smoker. The only people I see smoking around the hospitals these days are patient transporters, techs, and such. Have you ever seen a laryngectomy done with a flap?

I don't think anyone will care what you do to your own body as long as you aren't their OMM partner and have to smell your crappy stench.

Dude, just hide it
Everyone has this "holier than thou" attitude towards smokers and I think it's ridiculous.
You don't want to have to deal with people's looks of disgust when they find out you smoke.

And , no, I am not a smoker