CII "partial" filling scenario?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd happily partial a CII but they are not getting the remaining pills and I will make it very clear that their doctor may not right them a new script to make up for it. I think I've seen it done once but 99% of the time they will take the script elsewhere or wait for us to get the drug.

As far as loaning pills on expired scripts or ones that are out of refills I'd print and old label and throw in 3 days worth of pills if the med is important, not a controlled medication, and is not expensive. There's really not a good way to keep track of this so I'd call it free pills as opposed to a loan. I always thought I'd never do it for benzos and probably never will but the seizure risk is something to think about.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Vyvanse is very expensive. I'm not surprised if someone can only pick up ten. Maybe no insurance?

Hey Grover, you seem to have a fairly level head on your shoulders (for a psyche anyway) so I would like to run something by you. We have been getting an influx of psyche doctors in our area writing for amphetamine/benzo combinations around the clock and I would like to know if there is any clinical justification for this. An example would be writing for adderall 20mg tid plus xanax 1mg tid. The diagnosis I typically get for this combo is ADD + anxiety disorder, but the pharmacology of these drugs really make it seem as if their concurrent use would oppose each other. Is this something you would prescribe in your practice or do you know any literature that would support this combination? Please note, I am not talking about taking stimulants during the day and needing some type of sedative at night to combat insomnia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone encounter the situation of using two different NDCs to fulfill a c2 rx? Not a best practice but I did float at one store that would do it.

Anyone encounter the situation of using two different NDCs to fulfill a c2 rx? Not a best practice but I did float at one store that would do it.
I used to do it all the time before our inventory was computerized since the paper log book wasn't separated by NDC (though it was supposed to have been).

Reactions: 1 users
hummm i thought it was as long as you fill it in 72 hours, have to look into it

This is what I was taught and how I read the law.
From my state:
10.23(124) Schedule II prescriptions—partial filling. The partial filling of a prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule II is permitted as provided in this rule.
10.23(1) Insufficient supply on hand. If the pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity called for in a prescription and makes a notation of the quantity supplied on the prescription record, a partial fill of the prescription is permitted. The remaining portion of the prescription must be filled within 72 hours of the first partial filling. If the remaining portion is not or cannot be filled within the 72-hour period, the pharmacist shall so notify the prescriber. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription.

To me "No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription" makes it sound like you have to pick it up within 72 hours. But in my state, the law uses the phrasing "dispensed within the 72 hour period," so my interpretation might be biased by my state's version of the law.