City college vs hunter college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frenzysword

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Guys.
I applied to city college and hunter college as a transfer student. What I know is that both colleges are great schools. The City College is great school for engineering and it provides Pre-med program as well. Hunter college is prestigious at education, nursing and pre-health. It is hard to decide. Can anyone provide some information of these two schools, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go where you like better and/or is cheaper. I've never heard of either of these schools, so I doubt one would give you any substantial leg up in the admissions process over the other.

Go where you like better and/or is cheaper. I've never heard of either of these schools, so I doubt one would give you any substantial leg up in the admissions process over the other.
Thank you!and Actually these two schools belong to CUNY colleges in NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my science requirement coursework at Hunter (did my undergrad at a different school with an entirely unrelated major). Wouldn't be able to tell you anything about CC, but if you have any specific questions about Hunter, I'll be glad to answer them. My experience was very positive for the most part. Labs tend to fill up pretty quickly if you don't jump on the chance to register, so I had to do Orgo 2 lab at Pace University. I thought all of my professors were on point. Adrienne Alaie is awesome, she is the bio teacher. I was not a fan of the prehealth advisor but I think they have a new one now.

Reactions: 1 user
Both schools are strong in science and suffer the same downsides common to all the city schools; pick the one that is most convenient for you, IMO.

I did my science requirement coursework at Hunter (did my undergrad at a different school with an entirely unrelated major). Wouldn't be able to tell you anything about CC, but if you have any specific questions about Hunter, I'll be glad to answer them. My experience was very positive for the most part. Labs tend to fill up pretty quickly if you don't jump on the chance to register, so I had to do Orgo 2 lab at Pace University. I thought all of my professors were on point. Adrienne Alaie is awesome, she is the bio teacher. I was not a fan of the prehealth advisor but I think they have a new one now.

Thank you. I actually have some questions about Hunter college. You said that classes tend to fill up pretty quickly. How quick is it? 1 week? Usually, how many students will seat in lecture class and lab class in Hunter?

Both schools are strong in science and suffer the same downsides common to all the city schools; pick the one that is most convenient for you, IMO.
Thank you very much. I will consider this.

CCNY > Hunter.

This is coming from personal experience from both schools.

Can you give me little more details?

CCNY and Hunter are both very strong in the sciences. The problem with Hunter is that to even get into a (edit: course) is difficult since they have about 2000 students fighting for a 500 student capacity class with only one section. CCNY has more staff for the basic sciences and even upper levels. So that's point one: Ability to even get into the course.

The second thing about CCNY is that since they have Sophie Davis attached to it, they are more attuned to the premed life style and preparation. Heck, they even have a premed major curriculum. Hunter is more of a "Stop by once and you're cool". Second point: More premed centric.

I have been in the labs of both CCNY and Hunter and by far, I've seen CCNY have the better labs. So better labs means more visual, hands-on learning. And if you're like me, this is the way to (re-)learn material.
-----
Hunter isn't all bad though. Professors for the most part do reply to emails within 72 hours. The research opportunities are vast. And the student-base is very welcoming.

I had/have a love-hate relationship with Hunter.

I go to hunter college right now and I can tell you it isn't easy. I've also heard the same for CCNY. Hunter's nursing and pre-health courses are competitive and classes do get filled up quickly. I would say within a week and it's annoying because the departments don't help either. I would say it doesn't entirely matter which one you go to if you are doing undergrad because degrees from both schools look good. Good luck!

I go to hunter college right now and I can tell you it isn't easy. I've also heard the same for CCNY. Hunter's nursing and pre-health courses are competitive and classes do get filled up quickly. I would say within a week and it's annoying because the departments don't help either. I would say it doesn't entirely matter which one you go to if you are doing undergrad because degrees from both schools look good. Good luck!
Thank you so much! If CCNY is more closer than my home address than Hunter is , I will go there definitely. But in case of these two schools are both great, I probably go to closer one.

There honestly both very similar school and are viewed as the same rigor and quality. One won't really be better than the other. Go to whichever one you like... Closest,,,

CCNY and Hunter are both very strong in the sciences. The problem with Hunter is that to even get into a (edit: course) is difficult since they have about 2000 students fighting for a 500 student capacity class with only one section. CCNY has more staff for the basic sciences and even upper levels. So that's point one: Ability to even get into the course.

The second thing about CCNY is that since they have Sophie Davis attached to it, they are more attuned to the premed life style and preparation. Heck, they even have a premed major curriculum. Hunter is more of a "Stop by once and you're cool". Second point: More premed centric.

I have been in the labs of both CCNY and Hunter and by far, I've seen CCNY have the better labs. So better labs means more visual, hands-on learning. And if you're like me, this is the way to (re-)learn material.
-----
Hunter isn't all bad though. Professors for the most part do reply to emails within 72 hours. The research opportunities are vast. And the student-base is very welcoming.

I had/have a love-hate relationship with Hunter.
Thank you for providing this. I have a question about the class size. You said "2000 students fight for 500 capacity class" so you mean the class size is 500 people per room?

If CUNYguy is right about CCNY not having trouble with classes filling up, then go there. Hunter is really packed.

What are your career goals? Is it medicine, nursing, engineering, or something else?

Medicine or Engineering, go to CCNY

Nursing or anything else, go to Hunter

I was not a fan of the prehealth advisor but I think they have a new one now.
3l.jpg

Thank you. I actually have some questions about Hunter college. You said that classes tend to fill up pretty quickly. How quick is it? 1 week? Usually, how many students will seat in lecture class and lab class in Hunter?

I think the other posters have answered this already, but in my own personal experience the labs have even more limited seats. The one I couldn't get in time was full on the first day registration opened for me. Again, they may have addressed this in the 5 years since I attended.

Class size varies. My chemistries were about 60 kids, maybe.. Physics was a bit larger. The largest class size was Biology with Dr. Alaie. 800 students in that one, I believe. She held it in the school's theater and was up on stage with a headset and a PowerPoint cicker.

CCNY classes fill up, but you can always stalk the online system when grades come out and when payment is due and snag a seat when people get themselves auto-dropped.

I don't know about Hunter but one thing to consider is that CCNY is now considered (by the metrics in the link) the most diverse school in the nation. (http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/most-diverse-colleges/ )

To my mind, that makes for a really unique learning experience. It also means that our pre-med advisor is often targeted as a go-to resource when larger institutions want to learn about increasing diversity in medical schools, so she knows a lot of people you'd want to know. And, our Harlem location means we tend to see a lot of volunteer opportunities in nearby underprivileged clinics and hospitals, if that interests you.

The downside is you have to walk up the #@%!! hill in the snow.

Thank you guys. I made a decision to CCNY! Thanks to all again.

Reactions: 3 users