Civilian Independent Contractor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitriol102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I signed up as an independent contractor with a military clinic. Being completely new to this, I could use some help.

1. Where can I get more information and resources on this topic so that I may know what questions to ask....(I wasn't kidding when I wrote I am completely new to this)

2. Credentialing process, including national security questionnaire, is painful. In your experience, once all the documents are submitted, how long does it generally take?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
colbgw02: yes, I have signed the contract. Now I'm going through the credentialing process.

colbgw02: yes, I have signed the contract. Now I'm going through the credentialing process.

As you're discovering, there is a lot of paperwork involved. However, with respect to credentialing, that's not particularly unique to military medicine. Whenever you'll start working depends on when you'll be presented to the credentialing committee. Beyond that point, things tend to progress pretty rapidly. The best advice I can give you is to be extremely pro-active (welcome to federal bureaucracy).

Other questions about the job either 1) should have already been asked/answered or 2) will be answered.

What do you mean by national security questions? Are you referring to getting a secret or top-secret clearance? In that case, I don't think I got mine for several years. If you are referring to a general background check, then that should occur fairly quickly.

What do you mean by national security questions? Are you referring to getting a secret or top-secret clearance? In that case, I don't think I got mine for several years. If you are referring to a general background check, then that should occur fairly quickly.

I'm referring to SF86 http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf. There's no secret or top secret clearance for my job.

I'm trying to gauge how long it's going to take before I start work so that I may plan accordingly.

Anyone worked or knows about physician (Medical Officer) job opportunities with military contractors like Academi? What are you experiences? Pay and benefits?

Anyone worked or knows about physician (Medical Officer) job opportunities with military contractors like Academi? What are you experiences? Pay and benefits?

In another thread you said you were just starting undergrad. If that's the case you are at least 11 years off from being able to take a position as a contractor. Much will change in that time, the experiences of today will likely be very different from what you could expect then. Come back in 10 years and re ask that question.

In another thread you said you were just starting undergrad. If that's the case you are at least 11 years off from being able to take a position as a contractor. Much will change in that time, the experiences of today will likely be very different from what you could expect then. Come back in 10 years and re ask that question.

Thank you! LoL

You're a contractor? Beware your total lack of job security.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

While I agree with your statement to a certain degree, the reality is that those pre-existing contract physicians typically will be signed back on with the new contracting agency. Albeit, usually with different contract terms. It is not unheard of for certain contract physicians to go through several contracts during the course of many years at the same institution. I've only seen a handful of contract physicians over the years actually get terminated prior to the completion of their contract term. Typically, contract physicians leave by their own accord for a different position elsewhere.