Civilian Medicine Sucks!!!! Avoid it!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st0rmin

Unregistered User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course I'm only halfway kidding, but I thought that the recent article in Time has some interesting things to say about medicine in general.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/23/time.cover.story.tm/index.html

I know that folks will say, "Yeah, but the military is so much worse than that." Maybe... I think that once the lawyers and administrators get their noses out of medicine and let the docs practice medicine the healthcare in America will be better. But what do I know...

Here is a direct link to the article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1186553-1,00.html

Members don't see this ad.

st0rmin said:
Of course I'm only halfway kidding, but I thought that the recent article in Time has some interesting things to say about medicine in general.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/23/time.cover.story.tm/index.html

I know that folks will say, "Yeah, but the military is so much worse than that." Maybe... I think that once the lawyers and administrators get their noses out of medicine and let the docs practice medicine the healthcare in America will be better. But what do I know...

Here is a direct link to the article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1186553-1,00.html

civilian medicine is so bad that I bet everyone of the docs on this site will be beating down the door of the local military recruiters, begging to join.

of course, I am 100% kidding. :laugh:

USAFdoc said:
civilian medicine is so bad that I bet everyone of the docs on this site will be beating down the door of the local military recruiters, begging to join.

of course, I am 100% kidding. :laugh:

At OBC many years ago I encountered directly commisioned O-5 with over 20 years of ENT civilian experience. Whiler this is an example of aberration from the norm it does happend.

In any case the freedom is priceless.... being in the military whether you are a physician or not certainly isn't for everyone. With lower pay in the military I am surprised there is even one doctor migrating from the civilian sector...

Members don't see this ad :)
haujun said:
At OBC many years ago I encountered directly commisioned O-5 with over 20 years of ENT civilian experience. Whiler this is an example of aberration from the norm it does happend.

In any case the freedom is priceless.... being in the military whether you are a physician or not certainly isn't for everyone. With lower pay in the military I am surprised there is even one doctor migrating from the civilian sector...

There are always the incompetents, lazy, and lame who will find haven in the military medical system....just my short 11 years experience in military medicine.

haujun said:

Doctors who cannot succeed in the civilian practice of medicine join the military or stay in the military after completion of their initial obligation.

Galo said:
BIG DITTO!!
Just a thought...Does this mean that everyone who joins the U.S. all voluntary military is lazy, incompetent who cannot find a real job in the civilian sector?? How can we still respect our men and women who serve the military with this widespread discrimination... :eek:

haujun said:
Just a thought...Does this mean that everyone who joins the U.S. all voluntary military is lazy, incompetent who cannot find a real job in the civilian sector??

No. What you have stated is a logical fallacy, called a false analogy.

I'm hoping this thread will not turn into another thread to insult and personally attack other users. I'm personally getting tired of all the immaturity that is being posted.

Despite some very useful info presented on some threads, other threads just become a place where unhappy people can only attack others to express their resentment. I start to doubt the credibility of these people's opinions, despite their past experiences. :(

island doc said:
Doctors who cannot succeed in the civilian practice of medicine join the military or stay in the military after completion of their initial obligation.

Surely this isn't categorically true; there must at least a few good doctors who stay in the military longer than required. I would dare say I've met a few. Besides, how can we know ahead of time that they won't succeed in civilian practice if they're still in the military?

I concede the point I think you're making, which is that most docs who try to do right by their patients are so fed up that they leave ASAP.

HumptyDumptyMil said:
I'm hoping this thread will not turn into another thread to insult and personally attack other users. I'm personally getting tired of all the immaturity that is being posted.

Despite some very useful info presented on some threads, other threads just become a place where unhappy people can only attack others to express their resentment. I start to doubt the credibility of these people's opinions, despite their past experiences. :(

Many of these suffer..and will continue to suffer from post traumatic military syndrome. They state that they are doing for altrustic reason but in reality this forum serves as a mode of treatment for them. As a therapy they will vent out frustration against military. If you are only a pro military for any reason you opinion will be discounted and will be accused you as IgD supporter. My heart and best wishes for them. Time to let go guys.

haujun said:
Many of these suffer..and will continue to suffer from post traumatic military syndrome. They state that they are doing for altrustic reason but in reality this forum serves as a mode of treatment for them. As a therapy they will vent out frustration against military. If you are only a pro military for any reason you opinion will be discounted and will be accused you as IgD supporter. My heart and best wishes for them. Time to let go guys.

Your second logical fallacy of the day, haujan. The ad-hominem.

I think people on both sides of this issue are guilty of this. Didn't you accuse a whole bunch of people in another thread that they were quitters and unpatriotic because they separated after their obligated service? Implying that their 'opinions should be discounted'?

I do think that quite a bit of good information gets through on this site, and some of the back and forth adds a little spice to it. Remember, individuals who are thinking of HPSP are being inundated with the 'pros' of military medicine from the recruiting community. Trying to silence the experiences of some who have been there before I feel doesn't help someone trying to make a decision.