Civilian pharmacy job at military hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nampa1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys, is there anyone here with experience working at a military hospital (as a civilian)? I will be graduating soon and am very interested in serving. It appears I have a health disqualification, so can't enlist. Please send me a message and I'll fill you in. Thank you very much; any help is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, guys, is there anyone here with experience working at a military hospital (as a civilian)? I will be graduating soon and am very interested in serving. It appears I have a health disqualification, so can't enlist. Please send me a message and I'll fill you in. Thank you very much; any help is highly appreciated.

To my knowledge, pharmacy is not contracted. The military pharmacies are run by military pharmacists and enlisted pharmacy personnel. Go check out VA job postings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an APPE at a military hospital. The 2 pharmacists I worked with were civilians.

I know there are civilian techs and pharmacists at the local base pharmacy. Would USAjobs have this kind of posting?

Yep. USAjobs.gov would be the place to look for openings. The majority of pharmacists in military pharmacies are GS civilians or contractors.

OP, I worked as a GS civilian tech after I left active duty. You can PM me if you have any specific questions you want to ask in private.

Last edited:
Any base with a decent pharmacy volume will have civilian contract pharmacists

not sure where to find them, but we have 3 civ and 3 military and we do around 30-32K/month

The big places will have more accordingly

Interesting. Makes me wonder why this FY, the AMEDD recruiter told me their mission (for their specific recruiting battalion) was only one pharmacist.

Because AMEDD recruiters have a myopic view of the world?

Because (most likely) there has to be an understanding how the military sets "mission" for recruiters (read between the lines: quota).

They take a number that I have almost always thought was made up somewhere by someone sitting in a basement. There is both a FY number and also a redefined monthly number. Then, they break down all the recruiting battalions by local population, schools, etc. and assign the mission to each station.

Example: 10 stations all get a mission for one Rph and only 3 actually con someone into accepting a commission. Those 3 stations "made mission" and get good evaluation reports and the other 7 get bad reports. Yet, the military now has 7 empty "slots" so the next year mission is now 17 instead of 10.

Pardon my rambling, I guess my take home is just because the local guys mission is only 1, the guy in the next battalion area may have a mission for 5. So, there is no way of really knowing how many they are looking for unless someone can get national number from USAREC or the other branch equivalents.

EDIT: USAREC = United States Army Recruiting Command. I have 10 years active duty and ran like hell when they put me on orders to be a recruiter. Did not want that job in any way shape or form!