Civilians working on military bases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vigilante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is in the Air Force and will be starting dental school in the fall, hopefully with the 4 year HPSP scholarship, and I am graduating from dental school next year. I'm a little worried about potentially having to find a new job every few years when he is relocated, and was wondering if anyone knew of any opportunities for civilian dentists working on military bases? I have been told by multiple people that I should just join as well so we can relocate together and always have a job, but I'm pretty sure that isn't an option (it sounds like the career field is manned entirely through the HPSP program, and I'm obviously a bit late for that!)

If anyone has any info about this, or has any other tips generally for my situation, I'd really appreciate the advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can certainly join and they usually do their best to locate you at the same base. However, you will be at different commands and I'd expect that one of you would be in an operational billet (Carrier, Amphib ship, etc).

There was a husband/wife team at my AEGD at Great Lakes. They were assigned to San Diego after. One was at the base clinic, the other on a carrier that deployed. Nice thing is they got BAH for 2 (single rate), enough for them to afford to live in Coronado.

If you stay civilian, you can be hired by the DOD, but will most likely be on the amalgam line. I think you'd be better off taking a 1 year contract as an associate somewhere. You'd definitely make more money. If your husband is transferred overseas, you may not be able to get employment. Again, needs of the Navy, so if he goes somewhere and they don't have a civilian dentist spot, you may not have a job.

Thanks for the input! It sounds like you are speaking specifically for the Navy though, and he's in the Air Force. From what I've read on these forums, it seems like it wouldn't be possible for me to join the air force as a dentist after graduation?

Good to know about the DoD route though...I think I'd rather struggle with a few part-time gigs than pack amalgam all day.

Thanks for the input! It sounds like you are speaking specifically for the Navy though, and he's in the Air Force. From what I've read on these forums, it seems like it wouldn't be possible for me to join the air force as a dentist after graduation?

Good to know about the DoD route though...I think I'd rather struggle with a few part-time gigs than pack amalgam all day.

Depends on the base, whether or not they have contract positions. You can always talk to a recruiter to explain your position when your husband comes on active duty. Who knows, in a year or two we may may plenty of openings.