Clarify please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamorro12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, just to clarify. What would one with a low undergrad gpa (2.0 > 2.5) do ideally? -- I've read a ton of material here, and can't seem to find what's best. Take upper division science courses to boost UGgpa, retake premed requirements, take graduate degree core courses to hopefully enter a master's program, get a 2nd bachelor's...help! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, just to clarify. What would one with a low undergrad gpa (2.0 > 2.5) do ideally? -- I've read a ton of material here, and can't seem to find what's best. Take upper division science courses to boost UGgpa, retake premed requirements, take graduate degree core courses to hopefully enter a master's program, get a 2nd bachelor's...help! :p

Well, with that kind of GPA, you most likely will not get into any masters programs. Retake all pre-med courses you got a C or lower in (I'm assuming you have several). Then take more upper-level science courses. Take a 5th year maybe??

Your options are:

take more classes until you get up to a 2.75, rock (I mean way above average) the MCAT, do an SMP, do well in the SMP, go to medical school

Retake classes until you (with grade replacemnent) have between a 3.2 and a 3.4. Rock the MCAT. Shadow a DO. Apply to DO schools. Go to medical school.

Take more undergraduate classes until your cumulative GPA is at least a 3.4. Rock the MCAT. Apply to medical school. Go to medical school.

Take more undergrad classes to get up to a 2.75. Hit the average on the MCAT. Go to the Caribbean. Try to be the one in three students who doesn´t fail out.

Run out of money or screw up the SMP or never do well on the MCAT or just realize this is not worth years and years of your life ( you´re at least 2 years away if you don´t do the Caribbean). Don´t go to medical school.

We can´t tell you which is best. That depends on your finances and abilities. If you know you´re the type of person who will never be able to pull a 4.0 more Ugrad probably won´t help. If you know you can never do that well on the MCAT but you can get a 4.0 more Undergrad might be the better option. The only thing everyone here is pretty sure of is that a regular masters is not going to help you get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last thing -- by "post bacc" you mean anything after obtaining your bachelors, correct? That means take as many science courses at any level simply to raise your gpa?