Clash with DME...how to fix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lc0115

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didnt mean to upset the DME...I just needed to take a day off rotations to clear my head (u have been having memory lapses secondary to a prior head injury & was afraid to see patients w/ the dxs of "m.s." and "tics" looming over my head).

I know I should have contacted her immediately, but I was afraid of the repercussions...afraid she wouldnt let me see patients. I met with her briefly last week...and she said she was turning me back over to my SOM ethics boards to deal with my insubordination. I know I made a huge error--esp not alerting the program--I just was afraid they would pull me from my rotations.

Now it seems a lot more can be done: my ethics board said if I failed 2 rotations (the dme assured me she was sending me back to prevent me even failing the current one-but I guess things change) and the board said my rotation site failed me in my first month too). I have the graded paperwork from Month 1...and I have a Pass with Honors from my preceptor--the DME has yet to see the paperwork.

I plan to meet with her Monday--to discuss the situation...aside from my number 1 goal: getting her signature on my Honors eval for my 1st rotation...what else should or shouldnt I expect? I know goinf AWOL on the hospital the 1 day was inexcusable...but aside from that?

Basically, you skipped a day without telling anyone and expected to not get in trouble?

No...I expected to get in trouble...I just didnt know how to bring up the possibilities of tics & a dx of M.S. in less than 12 hrs after learning of the dx's myself. I knew it was the wrong way to go..,I was just hoping for a little bit of time to sort it out in my own mind before having to tell the program (I had never missed a day prior--and I didnt know WHAT excuse to give...so I gave nothing). I knew it wasnt right. I just didnt know what to do

So... you show up early that day and ask for a second of her time, explain the situation, and ask for a day or two off. If you can, bring documentation just like you would expect for any other request for days off (i.e. when I requested days off for COMLEX/USMLE Step 2, I sent in my confirmations with the email). Alternatively, send an email with your phone number asking the same request. Maybe she'll check her email before you leave home the next day and give you a response.

Regardless, a no call/no show is the wrong call, regardless of whether you're a student on rotations, a resident, or an attending (or any employee for that matter).

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly can't decipher your posts.

I would expect to not honor the rotation. At my school a no show is an automatic non-honor, unless you are currently admitted which you still have to call or email someone. You can try protesting it but what you did is a serious lack of professionalism.

I fire construction laborers for a no show/no call.....one no show/no call. You are still hoping for honors?

Just go in, in person. And say "I blew it, it was wrong and there is no excuse...what can I do to show that I understand I messed up and attempt to make this up to you"

Just go in, in person. And say "I blew it, it was wrong and there is no excuse...what can I do to show that I understand I messed up and attempt to make this up to you"

This.

Anything less will make it seem as if you don't understand the gravity of your mistake. Don't under any circumstances ask whether this will affect your chances for honors.

I would expect to not honor the rotation. At my school a no show is an automatic non-honor, unless you are currently admitted which you still have to call or email someone. You can try protesting it but what you did is a serious lack of professionalism.

At my EM rotation next week, the stated policy is any unexcused absence is an automatic failure. Any excused absence (boards, interviews, etc) gets rewarded with 2 extra shifts, no shift trades. If you're sick, come in and one of the physicians will take a look at you. I have no intentions on challenging this policy or seeing just how strictly it's enforced over the course of that rotation.

Of course my current rotation's reply to my 2 days off for Step 2 was, "Ok, we won't page you and we'll let the on call docs know about it," so these polices vary widely.