Class 2017 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonwake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have U of U as their top choice for applying this fall?

I really want to go to U of U but I'm not sure if my GPA is good enough and I don't know if I have enough volunteer hours either since it is a top 10 pharmacy school. But I really want to do a residency and a lot of people are saying Roseman doesn't offer as many chances to do residencies (hence why I am really wanting to get into U of U. Any one hear any different about Roseman?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have U of U as their top choice for applying this fall?

I really want to go to U of U but I'm not sure if my GPA is good enough and I don't know if I have enough volunteer hours either since it is a top 10 pharmacy school. But I really want to do a residency and a lot of people are saying Roseman doesn't offer as many chances to do residencies (hence why I am really wanting to get into U of U. Any one hear any different about Roseman?

I am starting at Roseman in August (henderson campus) I was worried about that as well but I heard Roseman actually has a pretty good residency placement rate. I had U of U as one of my top 2 choices as well (the other being roseman) It is very very competitive. You basically need top notch stats in all aspects! In the end I found Roseman to be the better choice for me because of the 3 year program and block schedule. I have heard multiple times that block schedule works better for students with families. ( I have 2 very small children and a wife)

I am starting at Roseman in August (henderson campus) I was worried about that as well but I heard Roseman actually has a pretty good residency placement rate. I had U of U as one of my top 2 choices as well (the other being roseman) It is very very competitive. You basically need top notch stats in all aspects! In the end I found Roseman to be the better choice for me because of the 3 year program and block schedule. I have heard multiple times that block schedule works better for students with families. ( I have 2 very small children and a wife)

See I hear different opinions, but that's what they are, opinions. I can tell from a lot of posts that U of U is a tough nut to crack. You think with cancer research with a professor, 50 hours shadowing experience, 3.52 GPA cum/ 3.60 science and 90+% pcat would be possible for entering U of U?

I'm not getting my hopes up on getting in and I would like to go to Roseman too, I just think U of U would be easier to place for an oncology residency since they have Huntsman Cancer Center, etc.

How did you like the Henderson campus?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
See I hear different opinions, but that's what they are, opinions. I can tell from a lot of posts that U of U is a tough nut to crack. You think with cancer research with a professor, 50 hours shadowing experience, 3.52 GPA cum/ 3.60 science and 90+% pcat would be possible for entering U of U?

I'm not getting my hopes up on getting in and I would like to go to Roseman too, I just think U of U would be easier to place for an oncology residency since they have Huntsman Cancer Center, etc.

How did you like the Henderson campus?

I think anything is possible but to be honest I think your GPA might be a deciding factor.. I have known people with stats like yours and a high gpa who were denied, but I think interview plays a big part too. I would def. try hard for it if it is what you want. I really liked the Henderson Campus. I think the Henderson Campus gives you a little more opportunities with thing as well since South Jordan has competition with U of U

I think anything is possible but to be honest I think your GPA might be a deciding factor.. I have known people with stats like yours and a high gpa who were denied, but I think interview plays a big part too. I would def. try hard for it if it is what you want. I really liked the Henderson Campus. I think the Henderson Campus gives you a little more opportunities with thing as well since South Jordan has competition with U of U

Thanks for the tips. I'm taking the pcat in 3 weeks. If I score under a 90% I won't even bother applying to U of U. I'm torn, I really think I'll like Roseman or U of U. We'll see.

Good luck at Henderson. You made a good choice for sure.

i applied for Fall 2012 admission and got accepted! my stats were not the greatest at all. 3.2 GPA, biochem degree, and 4 years of pharmacy experience. i think my interview had a great impact on my acceptance because i had no research experience and not the best PCAT score. U of U takes into consideration if you have a degree or PCAT score, not both (from what i remembered). don't give up! you have a chance! just work really hard on your personal statement. i ultimately gave up my offer (and lost my deposit =[ ) and decided on roseman university.

Wow.. You got in and decided to go to Roseman? If it's not too personal, why Roseman? I still have to take 3 classes in january to apply for U of U and people say if you still have 3 prereqs left (which is the maximum to apply), you stand less of a chance of getting in. I don't have a degree, but I'm a senior. I feel like it's not even worth taking an extra semester of school in january when I could be working and the extra work of asking for my letters of recommendation. You can also get an early interview in November which would rock. More and more people are saying that people at Roseman get the same amount of Residencies (I guess less people apply for them at Roseman when you look at the stats?) as U of U. So what would be the pros/cons with U of U and Roseman and why did you pick one over the other?

i decided to attend roseman university after all because of the 3 year program and i prefer the block schedule. i wasn't planning on doing residency afterwards and roseman is a lot closer to home than U of U. everyone i met throughout the interview process at both schools were helpful and friendly but for me, my deciding factor was location since i wanted to be close to family. U of U has a lot of research opportunities and a new building opening up this coming fall for pharmacy. personally, i kind of just wanted to get in and get out to start my career. hope this helps?

This school seems so amazing due to its healthcare system it runs and the huntsman cancer institute. I smell amazing rotations and residency placements :)

See I hear different opinions, but that's what they are, opinions. I can tell from a lot of posts that U of U is a tough nut to crack. You think with cancer research with a professor, 50 hours shadowing experience, 3.52 GPA cum/ 3.60 science and 90+% pcat would be possible for entering U of U

I just got in at the U this last year. I agree with you that it is super hard to predict who they are going to like. From the experiences of a couple if friends and I, I think that they will definitely give you an interview (especially if you are a Utah resident). From there, it seems a bit mysterious on how they decide to admit. I would say though that if you can do well in your interview that you have a good shot at joining us up there next year.

My one piece of advice with interviews at the U is this. Most of the faculty seem to like to see that you can think critically and draw on your previous experiences when forming an opinion. A couple of times in my interview they challenged what I said, but I stood my ground and explained further why I held certain opinions. My interviewers seemed to like that I didn't just cave into their arguments.

Good luck with it all!

Sent from my SGH-T759 using SDN Mobile

Thanks for that advice. That makes a lot of sense. I really do hope I see you guys next year! Just took the Pcat and got an 88% comp so it's still in the bag!

My cumulative GPA was about 3.2. My science was 3.6. PCAT was 94. The biggest thing to realize is that once you get the interview, the slate is wiped clean. Even if you have a PCAT of 99 and GPA of 4.0 you get looked at the same as anyone else in the interviews. The interviewers do not have access to any of your information. If you get an interview, then the U thinks you can handle the program. To get past the interview they look to see that you have some personality and can think on your feet. I think they design it that way to try and weed out the people who are really smart, but can not interact with other humans well. Pharmacists have to be both. That is kinda your job, to translate scientific data to ordinary people.

Don't get discouraged, just do your best. They let me in, so their standards couldn't be that high:)

IMO you get a great education at the U.

My only caveat to the U is, if they make promises get it in writing. They "changed" policies on me in ways that really hampered me in my professional goals.

ie They bumped our tuition about 3000.00 per semester from the previous year without notifying us(until we got the tuition bill and had no option but to go to their school or wait it out another year) realizing of course that the tuition was low, but they could have given us a heads up.

They changed their policies on their dual PharmD/PhD program after several people were accepted into the program. They initially told us they wold pay for all years of school that you were in the dual program. After we were accepted, they told us they changed their policy and would only cover the 4th year. So if you have an expectation of them, or they promise you anything, GET IT IN WRITING, and you shouldn't have a problem... if you do you'll have a contract of sorts.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thanks for the comment. So how much is it now? Roseman is (I'm assuming higher than what it says at 45k a year), U of U is what 25k? 4 year program at the U would cost 100k as opposed to a 3 year at Roseman costing 135k. That sucks about the PharmD/PhD program and tuition by the way.

wow thanks for the comment. So how much is it now? Roseman is (I'm assuming higher than what it says at 45k a year), U of U is what 25k? 4 year program at the U would cost 100k as opposed to a 3 year at Roseman costing 135k. That sucks about the PharmD/PhD program and tuition by the way.
you also have to take into account that roseman is 3 year vs 4 year so you have a whole year of making Pharmacist wages.

true and I'm also having to spend around 20-25k a year on living expenses so U of U would be 20-25k more than Roseman because of that

true and I'm also having to spend around 20-25k a year on living expenses so U of U would be 20-25k more than Roseman because of that

all factors def have to be accounted for

Has anyone heard anything back yet? Any invites to interviews?

If the past repeats itself, interview invites should begin late January into February. Usually interviews are in the last week of February. :)

i got a call for an interview for either thurs feb 21 or fri feb 22!! do you guys know how much is tuition for out of state residents?

got a call today too for an interview. I will be there on 2/22! I'm also out of state but planning to become a resident after a year, if i get accepted that is.

I got a call today too! I will be there on 2/22. Did anyone get a confirmation email?

I'm also out of state.

Finally got an interview to Utah for the 22. Seems like I submitted their app forever ago. Any students have some input on the program?

Does anyone have experience in the writing part? They didn't do this last year, have any other schools done something similar?

I just noticed there's absolutely no interview feedback for this school. Anyone with some up to date knowledge of it have any info about it?

Last year I got up to an interview. A lot of people said theirs went well, that the interviewers were nice. The pharmacist they had interview me however, was pretty curt and when I replied to their questions I would often get a snappy response. Also, the whole slate being wiped clean thing is b.s. If you have a low score on a part of your application, they look for you to say certain things to make up for it or expand on it. Although this year it seems they have changed their methods, so to be honest this could all be irrelevant.

Is it true that University of Utah's pharmacy school requires students to maintain a 3.0 GPA and only allows one failed class (I'm quite unsure on the last one)?

If this is true, it sounds pretty strict to me. I wonder how many of the student body normally fail out (the attrition rate).

Or maybe getting a B- is easier than most other schools. Otherwise, sounds kind of scary.

Wow, I didn't realize so many people were considering the same thing I was regarding Roseman vs. U of U. I just interviewed at Roseman 2/12. Hoping to hear back from them soon. I've got an interview with U of U 2/21. Due to some circumstances, U of U allowed me to do a Skype interview as oppose to an on campus one. I really hope this doesn't hinder my chances. I'd really like a shot at this school!

Any current students have any information about the school? Not much around the forums

Anyone know how long until we will hear back about admission decisions. Does march 4th sound right?

Anyone know how long until we will hear back about admission decisions. Does march 4th sound right?

I am not on the admissions committee, but I was conducting interviews.

The admissions committee will be meeting Tuesday and making decisions at that time. All those who were accepted should be contacted by March 1st.

Is it true that University of Utah's pharmacy school requires students to maintain a 3.0 GPA and only allows one failed class (I'm quite unsure on the last one)?

If this is true, it sounds pretty strict to me. I wonder how many of the student body normally fail out (the attrition rate).

Or maybe getting a B- is easier than most other schools. Otherwise, sounds kind of scary.

Students must maintain good academic standing, which is defined as a 3.0 GPA. If a student were to not pass a class, then they are placed on academic probation and must repeat the course. That being said, you have to try hard to have a GPA below a 3.0. Grades aren't fluffed, but the material is presented in very manageable amounts.

From what I have seen, typically one student per class decides at some point in the first year that pharmacy is not for them and drops out of the program. It is hard to fail out of the program, the faculty go out of their way to help struggling students.

I just noticed there's absolutely no interview feedback for this school. Anyone with some up to date knowledge of it have any info about it?

I posted feedback for my interview 3 years ago on this website and it is still there. There aren't as many interview feedback responses as other schools have, but there are a few posted.

I posted feedback for my interview 3 years ago on this website and it is still there. There aren't as many interview feedback responses as other schools have, but there are a few posted.

Yeah I looked at those but there weren't too many recent feedback. A lot of them are pretty old. I wasn't expecting all my questions to be a bunch of multipart questions or all of them to be situational ones either. I didn't feel too prepared after the questions started.

Does anyone know how we will be contacted? I'm assuming it'll be via mail, but finding out by Friday seems so quick!

Does anyone know how we will be contacted? I'm assuming it'll be via mail, but finding out by Friday seems so quick!

I thought it was via mail also. I've heard it could be March 1st to March 4th. I am thankful the turnaround is quick compared to some of the other schools I have applied to!

Only 90 applicants for 60 spots is pretty good odds though, I am worried about falling on the wait list :(. Are any of you that are applying have a school other than the U as your number one choice?

The U is the only one I applied to. It has everything I wanted in a Pharm.D program. I'm hoping that the 2/3 odds will be in my favor and I won't be on the wait list (fingers crossed)!

I can't believe how fast we find out, two of my friends are applying to the med school and they interviewed months ago and won't find out for another month or so. I'm getting a bit anxious thinking of how today the committee will be meeting and deciding:scared:! Good luck you guys!

I got an acceptance email about 30 mins ago! Yay! Good luck to everyone, so excited to meet some of you in the fall!

I also got the email! I was so pleasantly surprised. Really wasn't expecting to hear anything until Friday. So glad not to be playing the waiting game with them anymore :)

Are you guys located out of state? Or are you in Utah? And if you do not want to answer I understand. Just curious because I was told we would be getting notifications by mail.

Are you guys located out of state? Or are you in Utah? And if you do not want to answer I understand. Just curious because I was told we would be getting notifications by mail.

I am in state; I thought notifications would be by mail also, so I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my email.

I got accepted also! I am out of state and it was via email. Now decision time... hardest decision ever!

I got accepted also! I am out of state and it was via email. Now decision time... hardest decision ever!

Tell me about it. I got into Utah and Roseman and I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding where to go. Roseman is a 3 year program with a good block curriculum and is much better in terms of location for me. However, Utah is highly ranked with hospitals on site, good faculty to student ratio and from what I hear, great residency placements. I would like to do residency afterwards. Thus, I'm stuck trying to decide where to go!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello new U students! I'm just finishing up my second year. Right before orientation you will be set up with a student and faculty mentor. However, if you have any questions in the mean time you can e-mail me. [email protected]. Good luck! Your first semester is overwhelming, but stick it out because your second semester is cake.