Class 3 Dental - Wisdom Teeth; All?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distressstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to join the HPSP program. I went in to do my physical a few days ago, but I was deemed not qualified to join the military because of my wisdom tooth/teeth. Apparently I have to get them pucked out before I can move on to the next step. Now my question is if anyone knows if I need to pull out all my wisdom teeth or just that ones that will pose an immediate problem (class 3 = problem in the next 12 months)? For instance, I have an erupting partially impacted wisdom tooth on my right side and an impacted tooth on my left side. I know it is a bit weird to ask on a forum for dental advice, but I am hoping to get more additionally feedback. I would love to join the military, but this is holding my application back. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pull them all. Eventually, the Army will pull them all anyway.

The short answer is that I don't know why your dentist recommended what he did. I have all of my wisdom teeth, but I also hae 4 fully erupted, normal 3rds with no cavities. But most people end up having their 3rds pulled while in the service. You're already paying for the procedure and the anesthesia.

caveat: this board isn't meant for medical advice, so I am advising you based upon the military's trends, not for any medical reason.

Class 3 and Class 4 are considered non-deployable. If you want to go Army, make yourself as competitive as you can because I've had Soldiers that literally refuse to have a recommended procedure done and we've had to chapter them out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well new development. My general dentist says to pull out all 4 wisdom teeth. However, my oral surgeon says he absolutely can't pull my teeth out till early December ( and I still need to pay a chunk...). This is going to push my hpsp application back significantly... Is there no way around this? Other new (relatively) military personnel all told me they either still have their teeth or they got it yanked at boot.

2 options:
1. get a new oral surgeon.
2. Get a waiver. If you can. With the understanding that you'll get you teeth pulled after basic.

The problem with #2 is that the military is shrinking, not growing, so they're less inclined to waive you.

Thank you navydentist. That's what I assumed, but I wasn't quite sure. I will let me recruiter know and see if he can find the document that says which ones are class three. I do plan on taking all four of them out eventually because I wouldn't want malocclusion of my uppers, just right now is not a good time because of money + school.

@HighPriest : thank you for all your help. I will try to talk to my recruiter about option two. I am planning to have my oral surgeon write a written statement that he will pull my teeth within in next month. I hope that is enough grounds to apply for a waiver (rather or not my surgeon will agree to do so is a different matter as well...). I will try to explore option 1, but very few oral surgeons accept my insurance (california state insurance for the low-income. that's why the line is so long). My third option is to pay upfront for my extractions with cash X_X (time to apply for another loan...)

thank you for everyone for bearing with my odd questions thus far; I don't know who else to asks but you folks.

Last edited:
It depends what branch he's applying to. In the Navy I don't believe we do waivers for routine dental. If he was enlisting he would get it all done at boot camp, but it's different for officers.

Also there are many general dentists that do this procedure under local anesthesia... would save you a lot of money if you end up having to pay cash.
Ah I see. That's very unfortunately regarding the matter of the waiver. I indeed am trying to join the HPSP through the Navy as an officer. My teeth are completely fine; I have no cavities and no missing teeth (have all 32... and that's the problem!)

Thank you for the advice. I will try to find a general dentist that is willing to do this procedure. But I believe many dentists have referred me out precisely because my case is slightly complicated (horizontally impacted)

Last edited:
That's part of the issue. If it's a complicated 3rd not only should you have an oral surgeon do it, but you probably won't want local anesthetic. Unless you like drills and pressure.