Class levels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it really make a difference whether I take advanced level courses versus regular science courses? Isn't an A an A in the end after all or do med schools really take that into account?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it really make a difference whether I take advanced level courses versus regular science courses? Isn't an A an A in the end after all or do med schools really take that into account?

Beyond the prerequisites for medical school they really do not care what you take. However, if it's clear you're taking courses to inflate your GPA (e.g. Bio major who has taken BIO 3###/4### courses then takes Bio 101) they might ask questions.

But in general, class levels don't matter. Do your prereqs and then do whatever piques your interest and keeps your competitiveness (GPA) high.

Beyond the prerequisites for medical school they really do not care what you take. However, if it's clear you're taking courses to inflate your GPA (e.g. Bio major who has taken BIO 3###/4### courses then takes Bio 101) they might ask questions.

But in general, class levels don't matter. Do your prereqs and then do whatever piques your interest and keeps your competitiveness (GPA) high.
Referring to taking either advanced biochem or advanced inorganic chem versus taking intro to biochem or chemistry with aids(a GE but looks interesting)

Members don't see this ad :)
Referring to taking either advanced biochem or advanced inorganic chem versus taking intro to biochem or chemistry with aids(a GE but looks interesting)

Personally, I would take the advanced courses. However, if you haven't taken Biochem before, I highly doubt anyone would care you took an Intro to Biochem course as long as it's not clearly a low level, GPA-inflating course (if it's above a 100 level course I would almost guarantee it will not be noticed).

I mean it obviously varies, but in my experience people reviewing files hardly have time to go through your activity titles, not to mention your individual courses.

How does the same argument apply with regards to taking algebra vs. calculus based physics?

How does the same argument apply with regards to taking algebra vs. calculus based physics?

Same concept applies, take whichever you want - no one cares.

I opted for calc-based because I had taken an algebra-based physics before undergrad and already had a calculus background. In the eyes of admissions committees, they are completely indifferent.

Do you think that, if on my transcript I obtained credits for an introductory physics 01 at a local college through high school and received ambiguous college credits (transferred as PHYS 0XL instead of 011 which is the introductory course number at Uni), and have a background in calculus, that I'm expected to pursue a higher calibre physics? The transfer credits did not satisfy the requirements for intro level physics at my Uni.

Do you think that, if on my transcript I obtained credits for an introductory physics 01 at a local college through high school and received ambiguous college credits (transferred as PHYS 0XL instead of 011 which is the introductory course number at Uni), and have a background in calculus, that I'm expected to pursue a higher calibre physics? The transfer credits did not satisfy the requirements for intro level physics at my Uni.

Regardless of background, there is no expectation you take calc-based physics unless specified otherwise by a specific school. Of which, I can only recall the Harvard MD HST program with MIT requiring anything beyond algebra-based physics.