Class of 2012 - What's your plans so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Class of 2012. So I guess this can kind of be a support group as for post-graduation plans. Residencies? Jobs? More School? Where do you stand? How much debt are you in? Going to pay it off? Buy a BMW? Living with the rents to save up? Getting married? Whats going on? I'm not trying to be all up in your business like that, but if you want to put it out there then please, be my guest!

As for me, I'm extremely happy to be graduating. Pharmacy school was by far the most challenging and depressing time I've had for many reasons. But the victory is only a few months away.

I'm in school in Chicago, got a retail job in Seattle with a pretty decent salary. But thats actually my back up plan for now. I also entered the ASHP match and the IHS (Indian Health Service) match. I didn't get any interviews for the 2 VA positions I applied for with ASHP match, but got 4 interviews with IHS and just got back from an interview in New Mexico and Arizona which both went pretty well! So I'll know in a few weeks whether or not I'll be doing a residency with IHS next year or taking the job out in Seattle. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from Seattle? How did you end up with a job offer out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in school in Chicago, got a retail job in Seattle with a pretty decent salary. But thats actually my back up plan for now. I also entered the ASHP match and the IHS (Indian Health Service) match. I didn't get any interviews for the 2 VA positions I applied for with ASHP match, but got 4 interviews with IHS and just got back from an interview in New Mexico and Arizona which both went pretty well! So I'll know in a few weeks whether or not I'll be doing a residency with IHS next year or taking the job out in Seattle. :xf:

don't want to be Debbie downer, just look into which IHS you are headed. Good ambulatory programs, but some of them can be in some pretty undesirable places. This may not matter as much to a dude doing a one year residency though. Also, if you are looking to work for them, know they have major Indian preference, so trying to compete against one maybe a waste of your time.

Got 4 residency interviews and just gonna see how the match turns out. Also working on obtaining a position at the chain where I intern, just in case. I wasn't offered a position in the district where I intern, but they told me there might still be positions in other areas. A lot of people in my class went for fellowships, and many of them already have offers.

I'm just looking for a job right now... really can't believe that it's almost over. I basically have the same question as the other guy, how did you get a job in Seattle if you are all the way in Chicago? lol

Like so many others, just waiting to see how the match shakes out. I don't have a back up plan at this point, so keep your fingers crossed! :xf: I have a whole pile of debt and just got IBR paperwork in the mail the other day to fill out. Otherwise I don't really have a lot of exciting post-grad plans at this point. The one thing I'ld really like to do someday is own a home, but I think that's still going to be a few years down the road for us.

P.S. Oh yes, I also found pharmacy school to be challenging and depressing at times. I have 10 more weeks of school left and can't wait for it to be over to start a new chapter in life, whatever that ends up being!

Congrats! I think a lot of people are in limbo till march 21st...
Are you too? And what if you don't match??

don't want to be Debbie downer, just look into which IHS you are headed. Good ambulatory programs, but some of them can be in some pretty undesirable places. This may not matter as much to a dude doing a one year residency though. Also, if you are looking to work for them, know they have major Indian preference, so trying to compete against one maybe a waste of your time.
Yea.. I actually went to visit my top two choices... one is pretty depressing, I keep telling myself it's only a year, and for what I want to do, will do wonders as far as me getting there. The other thing is, yes they have a major indian preference, but how many indians obtain there doctorate degree? Especially in pharmacy? No where near enough. They'll have to make due with the black guy lol.

Got 4 residency interviews and just gonna see how the match turns out. Also working on obtaining a position at the chain where I intern, just in case. I wasn't offered a position in the district where I intern, but they told me there might still be positions in other areas. A lot of people in my class went for fellowships, and many of them already have offers.

Alot went for fellowships? Hmm like how many? I didn't think there were that many fellowships to begin with, like less than 200 maybe? I could be wrong but yea, just curious about that. You must go to an east coast school.

I'm just looking for a job right now... really can't believe that it's almost over. I basically have the same question as the other guy, how did you get a job in Seattle if you are all the way in Chicago? lol

So heres the story, it was actually a bit of luck and ambition. I did a rotation wiht a JD at a chain... the rotation was awesome, I got to do a lot of hand shaking. I came back 4 months later to get a letter of rec from the same preceptor and ran into the recruiter. I asked her if the company was hiring in Chicago, of course she said no. I said, well are there any areas of desperation you guys are hiring for? She said, well we're not desperate but we'll soon be hiring for Seattle. Which was kind of a coincidence, I've been to Seattle 5 times in the past year and a half. My ex girlfriend of 5 and a half years lives there (we broke up because of the distance), and yea... just got the interview because of her, but got the job because of my ambition and networking. I also got another interview in the Seattle area, with another company and will be having that soon.

Like so many others, just waiting to see how the match shakes out. I don't have a back up plan at this point, so keep your fingers crossed! :xf: I have a whole pile of debt and just got IBR paperwork in the mail the other day to fill out. Otherwise I don't really have a lot of exciting post-grad plans at this point. The one thing I'ld really like to do someday is own a home, but I think that's still going to be a few years down the road for us.

P.S. Oh yes, I also found pharmacy school to be challenging and depressing at times. I have 10 more weeks of school left and can't wait for it to be over to start a new chapter in life, whatever that ends up being!

What is IBR? I am saving all my money this first year of residency or work to purchase a condo towards the end of 2013.... Ive wasted $35,000 over the past 4 years on rent. That could have went to my own place *doh!* But yea, it was certainly the most challenging thing Ive ever done in my entire life. For many many reasons... just glad its over.

I haven't gotten any residency interviews yet, assuming it's because my GPA is low thus they throw out the app before they even look at the CV and LORs. It seems the whole "who you know" doesn't matter much anymore even if your uncle is the Chief of Staff at that hospital.

Thus:

Plan A - Hopefully 4 of the remaining places that I applied to send me an interview.
Plan B - Scramble for residency.
Plan C - Start as a staff pharmacist a a small hospital or at the nursing home where I work as an intern right now. One of the pharmacists is telling me to hold on until she leaves sometime in June-July and I can take her spot, another pharmacist is going on maternity leave soon and probably isn't coming back so I might take her spot as well. Take the BCPS in a few years.
Plan D - Open up a pharmacy. Have a friend who wants to get into the business but he'd just provide capital.
Plan E - More school. MBA or MPH.
Plan F - Retail

Ive wasted $35,000 over the past 4 years on rent. That could have went to my own place *doh!* But yea, it was certainly the most challenging thing Ive ever done in my entire life. For many many reasons... just glad its over.

Yeah, but then you'd have to be trying to sell it to move to Seattle or AZ or NM.

Hey Class of 2012. So I guess this can kind of be a support group as for post-graduation plans. Residencies? Jobs? More School? Where do you stand? How much debt are you in? Going to pay it off? Buy a BMW? Living with the rents to save up? Getting married? Whats going on? I'm not trying to be all up in your business like that, but if you want to put it out there then please, be my guest!

As for me, I'm extremely happy to be graduating. Pharmacy school was by far the most challenging and depressing time I've had for many reasons. But the victory is only a few months away.

I accepted a job offer to work for my community pharmacy that I've been with since 2008. My plan is to work full time and either pick up OT at other stores, or apply for a per diem/relief position at a hospital to pull in some extra cash (seeing as I'll have 15 days per month of free time). I want to pay my loans off aggressively. I also plan on becoming a BCPS in 2015 in case I want to look good for a hospital job or future residency (plus it's a good way to force myself to stay sharp and not lose what I learned in school). I really don't want to limit myself to community pharmacy for my whole life in case it doesn't pan out, so I'm trying to keep future options open.

IBR = income based repayment. For those of us who owe significantly more than what our income will be. I'm figuring on signing up for IBR so that the payments will be affordable for my family, but then trying to pay as much as we can afford so the interest doesn't take on a life of its own (any more than it already has anyway).

Does BPS check into your 3 years of experience if you don't have a residency before you can sit for the BCPS?

Members don't see this ad :)
James, congrats on your job offer. Networking pays off!

I haven't gotten any residency interviews yet, assuming it's because my GPA is low thus they throw out the app before they even look at the CV and LORs. It seems the whole "who you know" doesn't matter much anymore even if your uncle is the Chief of Staff at that hospital.

It isn't just who you know, it is also the impression that you make upon them.

I found out today at an interview that sometimes they exclude people you know at the institution from the residency selection process, in order to maintain objectivity.

Yeah, but then you'd have to be trying to sell it to move to Seattle or AZ or NM.
No, I'd work it out actually I'm very adamant about owning property in Chicago! I'll make it work, however/whatever it takes.

James, congrats on your job offer. Networking pays off!
Thank you! And surely, it does. But I agree with you, so does impression upon people.

So heres the story, it was actually a bit of luck and ambition. I did a rotation wiht a JD at a chain... the rotation was awesome, I got to do a lot of hand shaking. I came back 4 months later to get a letter of rec from the same preceptor and ran into the recruiter. I asked her if the company was hiring in Chicago, of course she said no. I said, well are there any areas of desperation you guys are hiring for? She said, well we're not desperate but we'll soon be hiring for Seattle. Which was kind of a coincidence, I've been to Seattle 5 times in the past year and a half. My ex girlfriend of 5 and a half years lives there (we broke up because of the distance), and yea... just got the interview because of her, but got the job because of my ambition and networking. I also got another interview in the Seattle area, with another company and will be having that soon.

Thank you for the clarification and good job!!! :) I've never been to Seattle, but I heard it's a really nice place. From your post, I can see there's at least some job over there... I'll definitely start looking in that area as well. Thanks again

No, I'd work it out actually I'm very adamant about owning property in Chicago! I'll make it work, however/whatever it takes.

Thank you! And surely, it does. But I agree with you, so does impression upon people.

Well if you end up here in AZ, first round is on me ;) congratulations!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

The White Mountains/Whiteriver IHS Hospital is a fun area if you are into a lot of outdoors activities. I have done some fun backpacking in that area and the powder on the mountain offers some good skiing in the winter.

That particular hospital is not the most progressive as far as IHS hospitals though, not much as far as ambulatory or inpatient involvement. Good people there though.

Does anyone else feel like theres not really any time to celebrate after graduation b/c of residency/work being so close to post-graduation and the time you start? I REALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY want to go backpacking in Europe, but wheres the time? I feel like the model of Pharmacy needs to change. Especially if they want to push everyone to have a residency... like it's such a bad model as is. We slave through classes for 3 years, in the summer you're expected to do internships or suffer (because of the job market, gotta do internships to maintain a position w/ companies or residencies post grad), then 4th year is another intense year in training, then 3-4 weeks after 4th year you start grad intern or residency IF You're luck enough to have 3-4 weeks! Damn. Just pharmacy school = slave school I'm not joking.

Does anyone else feel like theres not really any time to celebrate after graduation b/c of residency/work being so close to post-graduation and the time you start? I REALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY want to go backpacking in Europe, but wheres the time? I feel like the model of Pharmacy needs to change. Especially if they want to push everyone to have a residency... like it's such a bad model as is. We slave through classes for 3 years, in the summer you're expected to do internships or suffer (because of the job market, gotta do internships to maintain a position w/ companies or residencies post grad), then 4th year is another intense year in training, then 3-4 weeks after 4th year you start grad intern or residency IF You're luck enough to have 3-4 weeks! Damn. Just pharmacy school = slave school I'm not joking.

Agreed. They should just start it in late August/Early September like everyone else.

You should all go join a Jim Jones style cult instead of pursuing work in the pharmacy field.

Agreed. They should just start it in late August/Early September like everyone else.

I thought medical residencies started in June or July, not August/September.

Granted, it would be nice for some people to have the extra time off. For the others, though, it's nice to start working and get a paycheck.

The only thing that keeps me up at night is wondering about what happens if you don't match. That's a hell of a scramble to get a job in a short amount of time. :oops:

I thought medical residencies started in June or July, not August/September.

Granted, it would be nice for some people to have the extra time off. For the others, though, it's nice to start working and get a paycheck.

The only thing that keeps me up at night is wondering about what happens if you don't match. That's a hell of a scramble to get a job in a short amount of time. :oops:

That is what keeps you up at night? :confused:

That is what keeps you up at night? :confused:

I'm inundated by messages of worry and despair from a few different p4's on a daily basis. Fourth year is the first time in years, for many, that the future hasn't been as simple as just registering and paying your tuition. I hope to match, but I don't know how competitive I'll be.

And if you don't match you will be forced to work at full pay/benefits immediately after graduation? I can see why you are losing sleep. :smuggrin:

I'm inundated by messages of worry and despair from a few different p4's on a daily basis. Fourth year is the first time in years, for many, that the future hasn't been as simple as just registering and paying your tuition. I hope to match, but I don't know how competitive I'll be.

+1

I'm constantly thinking about what more I could be doing with my year left before app time to improve my app.

Gawd...I feel old. It feels like only yesterday I too was looking to be admitted to pharmacy school, and now y'all are graduating!

Gawd...I feel old. It feels like only yesterday I too was looking to be admitted to pharmacy school, and now y'all are graduating!

Four years flew by so so fast! Sometimes I wish I could slow life down a little bit.

And if you don't match you will be forced to work at full pay/benefits immediately after graduation? I can see why you are losing sleep. :smuggrin:

If you get a job, yeah. But if your classmates have locked down all those golden "new grad" jobs, then you're behind the eight ball.

Lil advice- genuinely network, network, network.

It dosent have to be professional networking either. Just stopping by the pharmacy next time you go to grab some milk and saying hi with a smile. Do it without expectations and do it often. People can smell a mooch from a mile away.

This way, you make friends and learn lots about the field you are about to get into.

I got a job straight out of school in a super saturated region with NO prior pharmacy work experience except through rotations. I worked in better paying non pharmacy related field going through pharmacy school.

Are you glad you went the PHD route? I believe we were applying around the same time (2007 ish). Yup, we are getting old.

Lil advice- genuinely network, network, network.

It dosent have to be professional networking either. Just stopping by the pharmacy next time you go to grab some milk and saying hi with a smile. Do it without expectations and do it often. People can smell a mooch from a mile away.

This way, you make friends and learn lots about the field you are about to get into.

I got a job straight out of school in a super saturated region with NO prior pharmacy work experience except through rotations. I worked in better paying non pharmacy related field going through pharmacy school.

Just curious-did you feel prepared to become a pharmacist without work experience? I have some but not a lot. I do well in school, but I still worry that I will be unprepared compared to my classmates.

Just curious-did you feel prepared to become a pharmacist without work experience? I have some but not a lot. I do well in school, but I still worry that I will be unprepared compared to my classmates.

Good question Mustang Sally. I have to admit that I did regret not ever having a pharmacy job for the first 3 months as a pharmacist or so. I am very comfortable clinically, but there are a many nuances about pharmacy that can only be learned through experience.

I am about six months in and its only now that I am starting to feel like a real pharmacist. I would highly recommend having a pharmacy job, even for as little as 6 months.

[Personal experience]

I'm here to inundate you on SDN as well! I stupidly have done hospital only since 2007, thinking I could easily get a staff pharmacist job. I should have formed a relationship with a retail chain :scared:

I got an offer from Rite Aid (114k)....I'm close on getting a part time 25hrs/week staffing at one of the big hospital networks. I'd rather do that than work retail...eps since I'm adamant about not doing a residency.

Awesome! What city? And thats really smart for the 25hr week, but would you be able to do both? You won't have a life lol.

AThe other thing is, yes they have a major indian preference, but how many indians obtain there doctorate degree? Especially in pharmacy? No where near enough. They'll have to make due with the black guy lol.

wow.

A lsrge percentage of my class at the University of New Mexico was Native American. and wanted to stay in the IHS system. I'm impressed with your cavalier racism.

all residencies (medical, pharmacy, dental, veterinary) start July 1st.

to be fair, his point is that there are not enough native american healthcare professionals to meet i.h.s. need (i.e., there need to be more!)

unless your point is that there are enough native american people with doctorates? :smuggrin: (only kidding)

wow.

A lsrge percentage of my class at the University of New Mexico was Native American. and wanted to stay in the IHS system. I'm impressed with your cavalier racism.

Yea, I'm going to stay out of this one. But I'll say this - You're more than likely not a minority. If you were, you'd understand what I meant without there being any need for controversy. I'm nigerian american, and I understand in black communities theres no where nearly enough of us to represent our communities as there needs to be to have one of "us" in "our" community. When I went on my IHS interview, I went on two, one of them had 1 pharmacist that was native american, the other had none. I didn't know stating a fact was considered being racist but okay :) :rolleyes: *signing off of the ridiculousness*