CLASS OF 2013....how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it's safe to say my own personal expectations have been effectively lowered! First semester I was still in the "gotta get an A" mentality. I succeeded, at the cost of having sleep, sanity, and a reasonable social life! This semester I decided it's not worth it. I'm still working my ass off, but I'm not giving 110% on everything anymore. B's and C's are perfectly acceptable to me now. My new goal is to do the best I can with the time I am willing to put into it. :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Me too.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of our classes there is a final exam- that's our only grade.

Since UF is my IS, I am interested in how this one test=final grade policy works. How are most of the students grades? So the test is like a million questions with lab practical included? Are they all the last week of the course? Please advise. :D

I think it's safe to say my own personal expectations have been effectively lowered! First semester I was still in the "gotta get an A" mentality. I succeeded, at the cost of having sleep, sanity, and a reasonable social life! This semester I decided it's not worth it. I'm still working my ass off, but I'm not giving 110% on everything anymore. B's and C's are perfectly acceptable to me now. My new goal is to do the best I can with the time I am willing to put into it. :thumbup:

I finally understand why upperclassmen have said you'll get over the whole "being the top student" thing, at least if you still want your sanity intact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since UF is my IS, I am interested in how this one test=final grade policy works. How are most of the students grades? So the test is like a million questions with lab practical included? Are they all the last week of the course? Please advise. :D

We take ~ 18-20 credit per semster, with classes "piggybacked" in the semester. For example, we took Cardio, Respiratory, and Repro the month of Jan. We met every single day for those 3 classes with labs inbetween or certain days. The last week of Jan we had those 3 final exams on Mon, Wed and Fri. with nothing much going on on Tues and Thrus. to study.

Those 3 classes along with one more are combined into an "Ainmal Systems II" class worth a total of 7 credit hours., so you see one grade on your transcript. Each class has it's own weighting depending on the amount of time you spend in it (# of contact hours).

So you could not do well in once class.... maybe a low Cish, but get A's or B's in the others so they balance each other out. At first I didn't like the idea, but I think in the long run, it all averages out in the very end to be about the same grade anyway with overall GPA.

We take ~ 18-20 credit per semster, with classes "piggybacked" in the semester. For example, we took Cardio, Respiratory, and Repro the month of Jan. We met every single day for those 3 classes with labs inbetween or certain days. The last week of Jan we had those 3 final exams on Mon, Wed and Fri. with nothing much going on on Tues and Thrus. to study.

Those 3 classes along with one more are combined into an "Ainmal Systems II" class worth a total of 7 credit hours., so you see one grade on your transcript. Each class has it's own weighting depending on the amount of time you spend in it (# of contact hours).

So you could not do well in once class.... maybe a low Cish, but get A's or B's in the others so they balance each other out. At first I didn't like the idea, but I think in the long run, it all averages out in the very end to be about the same grade anyway with overall GPA.

That actually sounds really cool.

Just bumping this to see how everyone is doing as their first year wraps up.

Took our last final today! WooooooHoooo! Selectives for two weeks (environmental medicine and primate medicne.) then freedome for the summer (well, I will be doing sea turtle and black bear research...but no class room time.)

I don't hate vet school, but I also don't love it. I really prefer time in the clinics and in business settings. I love the challenge of juggling management, business processes, etc. I like working with clients. I am frustrated that our programs aren't intergrated with each other, and professors will say things that are slightly different, but mark us wrong on exams if we go with what we leaned in another class. Also, as much drama is between the students, there seems to be more between the professors. I do love learning all the stuff..and I will catch myself and others at times and just think 'wow, we sound so different than we did on the first day of school.' I do feel there is some intentional pressure cooking going on, and I hate being treated like a clueless kid who hasn't ever worked...but at the same time, I understand that some students are. So, while vet school has really horrible days and issues, the material is amazing.

Thanks Sumstorm for sharing and Congratulations on your accomplishments!! It is very interesting to hear how the perspective has changed from day 1 until today. I have a feeling being an older student, I will understand what you mean even more next year.

Here at Davis we aren't done until June 9th, but we're definitely in the home stretch! I have to say, and I'm being totally honest, that I still absolutely love vet school. Sure it's hard, and it's a lot of work, and it's definitely very stressful at times. But what the hell else would I be doing??! I am learning so many amazing things, all the time. And just the fact that I'm actually here, I'm actually realizing my dream... how could I dislike it? I think that part of it is because it took so long for me to finally get to this place in my life.

Plus, all of the opportunities here are incredible! At the beginning of this quarter I did a full physical exam on a rhesus macaque, including IV catheter placement, blood draws, and ultrasound. And today, I helped the lab animal vet in charge of the cat colony complete annual physical exams for three hours, and loved every second of it! Both of those were through the Lab Animal Medicine Club, and there are tons of other clubs that also present their members with fantastic opportunities. Also this quarter, I went on a field trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium for free, with 2 amazing behind the scenes tours. :thumbup:

Vet school = incredible. :love: I love it more now than I did on day 1.

I like vet school; I will love being a vet. I really do love learning all the materials, but I had some really negative experiences this year that aren't part of vet school curriculem.

I had a professor tell me I should 'reconsider my career options' because I got a B+ on a virology exam and asked about some points on a question about HIV and didn't realize that integrase is a polymerase, not a protease.

In several of our team taught classes, the professors really dislike each other, which makes them snarky about teaching. That has really, deeply, colored the experience for me. I don't care who they like, but I shouldn't, as a student, know about the animosity and drama on a daily basis.

Also, being over 30 and treated like I know nothing about the world is frustrating. At the same time I see kids who have never had to pay their own bills with new houses and cars their parents bought living large, and not having any comprehension that lfe is different than that for other people. I also am not a fan of the alcohol culture.

Don't get me wrong, I love learning, even stuff I will not likely ever use. I love the education, I jut don't like the school part. I would be running my business and making the same or better income than a new vet, helping improve the human-animal bond if I wasn't in school. I guess that is part of it for me; I would still be learning out of vet school. Just differently. Maybe Davis doesn't have the background noise.

Every school has the "background noise," and if anyone says their school doesn't, they just aren't listening carefully enough to hear it.:thumbup:

I have a lot of really mixed feelings about school now. I admit I'm pretty burned out on everything at this point and just trying to keep myself motivated for the last 5 weeks of classes. The chronic stress has a way of getting to me over time! School is hard and stressful enough but on top of it I was also going through a really extended, stressful situation with my ex-boyfriend which really pushed me over the top mentally (check out my thread here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=707917). The suck thing about school is despite everything going on in my life there was no slowing down allowed, I had to keep going at full speed just to keep passing my classes.

On the other hand, it hasn't all been bad. When I look back I feel like I have learned a phenomenal amount of material in an incredibly short amount of time. I've had all kinds of new experiences. Made a lot of new friends.

Ultimately, it really just has to be experienced. Nothing could have prepared me for what it was going to be like. But in the end, I'll be glad I went through it :)

I definitely hate vet school sometimes. I hate that I can't afford take a day off, for whatever reason. Knowing that I am way beyond the point where 'exhausted' would justify how I'm feeling, and yet, I can't really do anything about it.

There are days when I love it though.

Take the good with the bad, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a lot of really mixed feelings about school now. I admit I'm pretty burned out on everything at this point and just trying to keep myself motivated for the last 5 weeks of classes. The chronic stress has a way of getting to me over time! School is hard and stressful enough but on top of it I was also going through a really extended, stressful situation with my ex-boyfriend which really pushed me over the top mentally (check out my thread here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=707917). The suck thing about school is despite everything going on in my life there was no slowing down allowed, I had to keep going at full speed just to keep passing my classes.

On the other hand, it hasn't all been bad. When I look back I feel like I have learned a phenomenal amount of material in an incredibly short amount of time. I've had all kinds of new experiences. Made a lot of new friends.

Ultimately, it really just has to be experienced. Nothing could have prepared me for what it was going to be like. But in the end, I'll be glad I went through it :)

skimmed through the thread, i'm sorry :( that situation sucks. i cant imagine going through that in vet school. i'm really bad at being able to handle school work with relationship drama. its been a couple weeks so i hope you're feeling better now :) just remember, you're an awesome catch! and i truly think that it was for the best that things ended, it doesnt sound like he was as committed. you have so many more exciting places to go in your life i know you will meet the "perfect" guy (in your eyes). til then, just concentrate on becoming an awesome vet! ;)

I definitely agree. I hate it, but I love it. Some days are good and some days are bad. For me it was more of a transitional situation I had to get used to. I moved to a new state, with no friends, left my boyfriend back home, and no family. I had never done that in my life and being a social person, it was hard for me to get used to the fact that I can't go out as much as I used to and enjoy my free time....simply because I didn't have much free time.

I loved all the opportunities I got with wet labs for different clubs. That's really what keeps me going. It helps re motivate me when things just don't seem very good. But this semester I made sure to go out and enjoy myself with friends every now and again, and it's made this semester so much better. Now that I'm finally settling down and figuring out how this whole vet school thing works, it's really not so bad, and I do have time to be myself too...like going to the gym and sleeping.

I've taken 19 classes in these 8 months, and have as many notes as I did in 2 years of undergrad! It's crazy, but I've definitely learned a lot!

I'm really excited now, because we have 2 weeks left, and are only taking 2 classes for a grade, my elective and intro to vet med classes which are pass/fail. So it's really on the downhill now.

My elective is amazing. I am taking cetacean anatomy and am learning so much! I can't wait to apply what I'm learning in that class this summer when I attend MarVet and SeaVet!

Overall, I would say this past year has made me a stronger person...and even though at times was tough, I am glad I went through it. And in case anyone was still wondering...my boyfriend and I are still together...even 740 miles apart during vet school! And I can't wait to spend this summer with him! :)

skimmed through the thread, i'm sorry :( that situation sucks. i cant imagine going through that in vet school. i'm really bad at being able to handle school work with relationship drama. its been a couple weeks so i hope you're feeling better now :) just remember, you're an awesome catch! and i truly think that it was for the best that things ended, it doesnt sound like he was as committed. you have so many more exciting places to go in your life i know you will meet the "perfect" guy (in your eyes). til then, just concentrate on becoming an awesome vet! ;)

After all these years, I wish I could say I love vetschool but- I can't.

Dont get me wrong--Im thrilled to be a vet student. But with so many years practicing as a tech, knowing how the "real vet world" works, its difficult having to sit in classes 8 hours a day, learning mountains of minutia, thinking "why are we learning this again? For example, even though we are required to take biochem as a pre-req to vetschool we have to take it AGAIN our first semester. With that in mind your like "okay this should be an easy review-right"...NOPE! The exams where ridiculous.
We also have to take Cell Biology. Boring, time waster.

Small Animal anatomy was pretty decent, but large animal anatomy was horrible. 102 students in a lab built for 50, with 12 specimens, and a professor that likes to pull random parts of the GI tract through a slit in a garbage bag as a test question. :mad: Grrrr.

Honestly, I'm just not academically inclined. And for the most part that is what we do here the first 2 years. I was warned about this before I started, so Im not that shocked or disappointed. The biggest issue for me was dealing emotionally with spending an overwelming amount of time studying; yet achieving less than desired results. Frustration +++. But I just had to get over that.

The courses I enjoy most are those more clinically related (LOVED my Emergency and Critical Care elective.) And I live for the wetlabs! My GPA might not be in the top 10%, but so far I'm getting excellent feedback from the clinicians on my clinical skills so thats good enough for me.

The good things about UGA are the faculty and staff. We have our share of "background noise" too, but honestly being older with my own life issues, I hardly notice it. But in all, the profs and staff are awesome, always willing to help you out, help you learn, help you SURVIVE--whatever you need.

Ive talked to some upperclassmen and some say second year is better, while some say its worse...so I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Overall to stay motivated, I focus on the longterm goal...Graduation. :)

Ive talked to some upperclassmen and some say second year is better, while some say its worse...so I'll guess I'll just have to wait and see.

OMG I am NOT looking forward to second year at LSU. Fall semester I've been told is the absolute worst semester of our lives! We are basically cramming in all of the "abnormal classes" into second year. We have PBL, parasitology, virology, clinical pathology, etc...it's going to be killer! But I'm hoping once I get through that, things will be much smoother :)

Hang in there though! In 4 years, it'll all be worth it! :D:thumbup:

This post is coming from two vet students at the Atlantic Veterinary College, who are in the middle of our toughest finals at the moment, and are still LOVING vet school. :love:
Even though we've had a rough exam schedule this semester, we have a great support group to help us through it! Our class is absolutely amazing and close. No one is competitive and we all share our study resources on a website we made. We also have study groups with people stronger in a particular subject helping the rest of the class. When we do have some free time, we spend it together going to the movies, dinner, dancing, etc.
Also, tutors and professors spend extra time coming in before exams to make sure we are not stressing and that we are prepared.
We've had numerous wetlabs with different clubs, and I think this is really important to help remind us the real reason why we are here.

Class of 2014, make sure you really get to know your classmates and don't burn any bridges. You are going to be with these people for the next four years and it can make or break your vet school experience. :luck:

This post is coming from two vet students at the Atlantic Veterinary College, who are in the middle of our toughest finals at the moment, and are still LOVING vet school. :love:
Even though we've had a rough exam schedule this semester, we have a great support group to help us through it! Our class is absolutely amazing and close. No one is competitive and we all share our study resources on a website we made. We also have study groups with people stronger in a particular subject helping the rest of the class. When we do have some free time, we spend it together going to the movies, dinner, dancing, etc.
Also, tutors and professors spend extra time coming in before exams to make sure we are not stressing and that we are prepared.
We've had numerous wetlabs with different clubs, and I think this is really important to help remind us the real reason why we are here.

Class of 2014, make sure you really get to know your classmates and don't burn any bridges. You are going to be with these people for the next four years and it can make or break your vet school experience. :luck:

That sounds awesome!! Here's to hope everyone else's experiences in veterinary school are just as amazing (including mine :xf:)!

Not everyone can LOVE it - there's too much variation in personalities, ways of learning, general interest, etc. so... I mean, it's not like anyone should expect EVERYONE that gets in to love every minute of it. No matter if you worked to get in for a year, two years, or TEN years, it's still the same, HARD path that everyone takes.

The big thing is, everyone here is doing it. They're making it through, thick or thin, and getting closer to their goal day by day. And once it's over, I think everyone here will feel proud, accomplished, and will likely have few regrets about how they spent the last four years.

Life is certainly different now than it was when I made my first post on this thread, but the majority of my sentiments are the same.

Vet school is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, and there are days when I just want to get it all over with, and there are days when I give up for the time being, and there are days when I'm the only one pushing the rest of my friends on... but I don't want to be anywhere else. Vet school is a daily struggle, but I still feel very privileged to have the opportunity to struggle in this way.

Family won't understand. Your friends back home won't understand. Relationships will crumble. Marriages might dissolve. Pregnancies happen. Illnesses happen. Jobs get lost. Loan money falls short. Pets get injured. Cars break down on exam days. You will never love coming home to your pets more. You will finally understand what people say when they tell you that they met their best friends in vet school. Your classmates will become your war buddies, and they will get you through your bad days, and you will get them through theirs. You just have to take it all one day at a time (thankfully, this is our only option) and keep it all in perspective. It's not easy, but it is worth the struggle.

So, here's to struggling. :)

Life is certainly different now than it was when I made my first post on this thread, but the majority of my sentiments are the same.

Vet school is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, and there are days when I just want to get it all over with, and there are days when I give up for the time being, and there are days when I'm the only one pushing the rest of my friends on... but I don't want to be anywhere else. Vet school is a daily struggle, but I still feel very privileged to have the opportunity to struggle in this way.

Family won't understand. Your friends back home won't understand. Relationships will crumble. Marriages might dissolve. Pregnancies happen. Illnesses happen. Jobs get lost. Loan money falls short. Pets get injured. Cars break down on exam days. You will never love coming home to your pets more. You will finally understand what people say when they tell you that they met their best friends in vet school. Your classmates will become your war buddies, and they will get you through your bad days, and you will get them through theirs. You just have to take it all one day at a time (thankfully, this is our only option) and keep it all in perspective. It's not easy, but it is worth the struggle.

Well stated, much more eloquently than I could have ever done :thumbup:

My sentiments exactly.

Well stated, much more eloquently than I could have ever done

My sentiments exactly.

I wish I felt that way. Every significant journey has brought about lifetime friends (public boarding school, college, Wason Fellowship, vet school, Katrina, NOAA.) I have had times when I was far more grateful to see my pets again; returning home from SAR work in New Orleans to find a tree in my home, terrified by the empty crates, seeing them scared at the local training center where a friend took them, coming home from weeks at sea to my SO and pets.

I guess, for me, this isn’t the hardest thing. I know it is for others, and I admire the tenacity of some of my fellow students. I also appreciate how much some have grown in the last year. At the same time, it can be grating hearing students whine about how they have no money and struggling for grades but can afford to drink daily and be trashed on the weekend, or have no money but can go overseas for trips 4 times in 9 months. Hearing professors gripe about how tired they are, how extremely overworked, when they return from a week of skiing in Canada, or hearing one instructor say ‘Dr. W doesn’t read the evaluations so don’t bother filling them out’ or ‘We are helping him retire (against his will.)’ from another. Or, my so far favorite, after scoring a B+ on an exam, being told I should ‘reconsider my career options’ concerning vet med.

Not saying it is endless, but that is the stuff that irritates me after a while. I really do want to love everything about vet school. I want to think this is the greatest thing ever whether I’m missing my husband, not seeing my extended family, not earning much income, watching my SAR dog lose her skills, dealing with petty bickering between professors, and between students, seeing people drink on a level that is beyond unhealthy, and hearing folks joke that DUI’s are a matter of pride. There are great moments; some wetlabs are amazing, bear research, turtle necropsies, even all nighters with friends, hearing the changes in how we talk (using our medical words) without even realizing it, volunteer days, starting the pet kenneling component of a woman’s shelter, helping with a hoarding case, reptile surgery, zoo med. There are great moments. But maybe for me the sacrifices are high enough to balance the benefits…then that background noise gets too loud. I still know I want to be a vet, I don’t plan on leaving unless they kick me out, I am grateful to be able to pursue my degree, but vet med school is a relatively young institution. I honestly wish there were alternative paths into the field; self taught, apprenticeship with boards and practical’s would be better for me. Maybe part of it for me is that, while I am learning, I do not feel like I am growing.

Every school has the "background noise," and if anyone says their school doesn't, they just aren't listening carefully enough to hear it.:thumbup:

Of course there's background noise at Davis. I'm not saying that I live in a perfect world. There's definitely drama between classmates, drama between certain professors and classmates, etc. (though I haven't noticed drama between professors, thankfully). I guess it just doesn't affect me to the point of actually disliking vet school. Like I said in my first post, yes it's really difficult, and yes there are days or even weeks (finals) that are more stressful than you can imagine... and I'm older, not at all into the social drinking/partying most of my classmates are involved in, have a husband who lives 6 hours away from me, and definitely get treated from time to time like I don't know anything about the real world... but I still love vet school.

I couldn't agree more.

And with Professional Exams coming up in 3 weeks that are 85% of my class grade and cumulative for the year...well...enough said there. :eek:

Of course there's background noise at Davis. I'm not saying that I live in a perfect world. There's definitely drama between classmates, drama between certain professors and classmates, etc. (though I haven't noticed drama between professors, thankfully). I guess it just doesn't affect me to the point of actually disliking vet school. Like I said in my first post, yes it's really difficult, and yes there are days or even weeks (finals) that are more stressful than you can imagine... and I'm older, not at all into the social drinking/partying most of my classmates are involved in, have a husband who lives 6 hours away from me, and definitely get treated from time to time like I don't know anything about the real world... but I still love vet school.

I don't think I was pointing out any one person/school with that statement:confused:

Also, being over 30 and treated like I know nothing about the world is frustrating.

Ditto. First semster I liked, this semster has just down right stunk. We've had some prof's make it very apparent they don't give squat about teaching or us- and treat us all like little children.

I don't mind hard, but it's be nice if hard was fair and with respect. It's a fundamental educational philosopy difference of opinions. I guess being a prof for so many years and seeing that side of it, it blows my mind when people don't treat their students well, or think it's a game.

I've had some professors I absolutely love and do a great job.

But it looks like I'm right there in the norm with the rest of you, so that gives me some comfort. When I have a bad day or get frustrated, I try to think that if I weren't here, I'd be working on applying still trying to get in, and that does bring me comfort.

Maybe part of it for me is that, while I am learning, I do not feel like I am growing.

maybe part of it is learning how to grow in a different way.

for someone who is 21 and doesn't have much life experience, growing in vet school is inevitable. most of the time it's the transition from having a lot of free time with little responsibility to starting an intense program that requires you to grow up in order to handle it and hopefully be successful. but for someone who is older, has a lot of life experience, and a past that involved a ton of responsibilities, the growth might be more subtle.

or maybe it comes with helping others around you grow while sharing your perspective.

I don't think I was pointing out any one person/school with that statement:confused:

Sorry, I assumed it was directed toward me because it was immediately after sumstorm said maybe Davis doesn't have background noise. I just wanted to make it clear that every school/person is going to have drama/issues/"background noise", but it's all about how much you let it affect you and color your view.

I'll echo everyone else--some days I love veterinary school, and some days I absolutely hate it. The thing that keeps me going on the days I'm ready to scream, cry, or bang my head against the wall (the stress will catch up to you eventually) is that I'm exactly where I want to be. There will be weeks where you stop, look back, and wonder how on earth you managed to get through them with decent exam scores and your sanity intact; there will be others when you realize you could have studied a bit more, or taken the time to do a wet lab instead of studying for that not-so-bad test, etc. You will surprise yourself with what you do learn and how you find yourself speaking. You will make some great friends, find yourself at odds with a classmate or two at times, and learn to ignore the drama that goes on around you. And you will be surprised how incredibly quickly it goes by.

With that said, I am incredibly burnt out and have been for about a month. One of the things that's keeping me trudging along anyway is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel--in two more weeks I'll move up the ranks to VM2 and can enjoy the nice, sunny outside weather instead of being cooped up in a building all day. Also having friends, family, and a cat to complain to does wonders, as does reading threads like these and hearing veterinarians say that they hated veterinary school or certain aspects of it (both on VIN and in person).

Also--you really need to take time for yourself, even if it's just an hour a day or a few times a week. You should also make sure you're getting enough sleep and are eating properly; this may seem like a no-brainer, but it is easy to slip into the habit of sleeping <5 hours a night and eating horribly because you don't want to take the time to cook/purchase a nice healthy meal.

Sorry, I assumed it was directed toward me because it was immediately after sumstorm said maybe Davis doesn't have background noise. I just wanted to make it clear that every school/person is going to have drama/issues/"background noise", but it's all about how much you let it affect you and color your view.

Understood. I meant it more as a "you are not alone" type thing to Sumstorm, and hadn't paid attention to Davis being mentioned.:)

I am going to read everyone of these posts in 4 days when my last final is done... but right now - I love vet school. I decided that as long as I make more B's then C's, then all is good with the world. I learn the material, I read above and beyond what is required, I never cram... BUT I (almost) never prepair for the exam. I don't really kill myself with study guides or outlines... just read over everything, understand and absorb what I can, and take the test; which seems to = a High C:Low B. And you know what, I am fine with that.

The stuff I memorize I will forget in 3-4 weeks, but I know I understand and can recal renal physiology better then 90% of the kids here... so, all is well with the world.

Plenty of background noise, but it doesn't bother me. Who is sleeping with who, who is mad at who, who is...

As long as its not me (unless some girl wants to sleep with me) then i don't care.

Anyway - more in a few!

Good luck everyone - Finish line is fast approaching!

I just wanted to make it clear that every school/person is going to have drama/issues/"background noise", but it's all about how much you let it affect you and color your view.

I am not sure ANY student could be told, very earnestly, that they should 'reconsider their career' after spending a year's tuition, for a B+ in a single exam in a class (that I passed with a 98%), and not be affected by it. Whether that affect is to doubt themselves, be angry, lose respect for the instructor, or otherwise. It has turned into a joke with my dry sense of humor, but it has definitely colored my perspective. I listened to a professor harass a student for wearing gloves to do a blood draw on a pig, and harangue another student for asking why it is called bleeding out instead of drawing blood. She wasn’t being funny or sarcastic, she was sincerely curious, probably because the area she lived previously, bleeding out was a term often related to Kosher slaughter, not blood sampling. Again, we have really great professors too. I have decided to assume the lecture I received about reconsidering vet med was meant for someone else, but was directed with great passion at me. Doesn’t mean I will ever consider even speaking with that instructor unless absolutely necessary. The risk of drama isn’t worth the chance. Maybe I should pretend it never happened…but that means later on, when it is done to a student less certain about their path, or in a worse situation, it may be devastating. I won’t tolerate a professor getting 2 inches from my face and yelling at me. Sorry, I am not in the military, I am in a professional program, and I won’t be treated that way. I won’t respond in kind, but I am also not going to ignore it and pretend it doesn’t happen (which is why it happens year after year, because students won’t call the instructor on it.) I must say, after a discussion in much more reasonable volumes in an administrator’s office, we have a better understanding (and do get along reasonably well) but this was all because a professor thought young students needed to be ‘intimidated’ into behaving, which was a common theme last semester. What do I know? Maybe students fresh from undergrad need someone in their face, but I wouldn’t tolerate a boss, coworker, or client do that, so why would I tolerate a professor?

Again, I love vet medicine, I started looking at my texts and courses for next semester already (less than 48 hours after finals for this semester.) I love the information. I just don’t care for some of the lack of professionalism from folks who should have some (I can tolerate it from students far better than from someone who is actually suppose to teach us…. It goes against every teaching skill set that I know of.) If it was a few incidents a semester, no big deal…but when a professor snipes about another every single day of the week, it gets old, and does affect the overall tone of the class. I actually believe there were so many complaints about that in one particular class by students on evaluations that something will change.

but this was all because a professor thought young students needed to be ‘intimidated’ into behaving, which was a common theme last semester.

If it was a few incidents a semester, no big deal…but when a professor snipes about another every single day of the week, it gets old, and does affect the overall tone of the class. I actually believe there were so many complaints about that in one particular class by students on evaluations that something will change.

Is this just one unfortunate situation in sumstorm's case, or are these things common place in vet schools?

"Would you rather be on the outside looking in? Or on the inside hanging on by your finger tips?"

I had stopped reading this thread for a while because it got me really bummed out :( Of course I became curious again today so I decided to check it out again, SO glad there are some positive responses. I was beginning to think that no vet student liked vet school!! I know it will be hell and I will be studying more than I ever had but I'm still hoping that I will like it, and I think I will. I HATE studying, but if I had to study one thing and be happy about it, it would be vet med. I'm hoping my passion for vet med will carry me through the next 4 years and keep me sane.

OnceBitten, that last paragraph is really inspiring!! Maybe I should copy it and put it on my wall before school starts lol I have a feeling i'll need some more motivational speeches during first semester

I am not sure ANY student could be told, very earnestly, that they should 'reconsider their career' after spending a year's tuition, for a B+ in a single exam in a class (that I passed with a 98%), and not be affected by it.
[...]
I listened to a professor harass a student for wearing gloves to do a blood draw on a pig, and harangue another student for asking why it is called bleeding out instead of drawing blood.
[...]
I won’t tolerate a professor getting 2 inches from my face and yelling at me. Sorry, I am not in the military, I am in a professional program, and I won’t be treated that way.
[...]
all because a professor thought young students needed to be ‘intimidated’ into behaving, which was a common theme last semester.
[...]
If it was a few incidents a semester, no big deal…but when a professor snipes about another every single day of the week, it gets old, and does affect the overall tone of the class. I actually believe there were so many complaints about that in one particular class by students on evaluations that something will change.

I'm sorry to hear that that's your experience with vet school professors. I'm honestly kind of blown away. We have one professor here that everyone has a problem with, but your descriptions make her seem like a saint. Even so, things have been taken to administration to discuss the issues. All of our other professors are so amazing and open, and really want us all to understand the material and do well. I probably wouldn't love vet school either if I had professors like that.

To Minnerbelle: I can only speak from my experience, but none of our professors here have done any of the things that sumstorm describes.

well.... as I am going to NC State CVM in the fall this thread is mildly terrifying to me. I guess I can just hope that things change for the better a bit before the fall.

Also the level of unprofessionalism at my current job would be pretty hard to surpass so hopefully I can take it all in stride.

Still...:scared:

Also the level of unprofessionalism at my current job would be pretty hard to surpass so hopefully I can take it all in stride.

LOL same here!! ironically it seems to happen with the older foreign coworkers...sometimes im just like wtf is wrong with you? how could someone have been raised like this? i just try to stay to myself and #1 thing ive learned is DONT share personal info with them...even the "day to day" things. hopefully my experience here will be useful in vet school!!

LOL same here!! ironically it seems to happen with the older foreign coworkers...sometimes im just like wtf is wrong with you? how could someone have been raised like this? i just try to stay to myself and #1 thing ive learned is DONT share personal info with them...even the "day to day" things. hopefully my experience here will be useful in vet school!!

I am hoping this is the key to avoiding class drama. Be friendly, be nice, be helpful but don't necessarily share every life detail with everyone. Professionalism is key.

well.... as I am going to NC State CVM in the fall this thread is mildly terrifying to me. I guess I can just hope that things change for the better a bit before the fall.

you'll be fine. hello btw!

I haven’t posted here in a long time for several reasons. In short, it would be an exhausting, full-time job to dispute everything sumstorm says. But sometimes, you’re just pushed to say something, you know? My experience at NC State has been nothing like sumstorm’s. In my opinion, her experience is also not representative of the class in general. My response to so many of her posts is “Do we even go to the same school?” Most of you will wonder the same thing when you get here. So fear not, NCSU 2014ers. It will be okay.

One thing I like about SDN is its anonymity. Sure, several of us know who we are in RL, but my online persona and RL may be the same (it is) and it may be different.

Nevertheless, lets try and keep the personal **** out of SDN, I see it going nowhere good.

EDIT: And Sumstorm and Nyanko, and others, have challenged my personal beliefs on more then one occasion, and while they are always wrong and I am always right, it nevertheless offers additional insight into opposing view points, which is a very good thing

One thing I like about SDN is its anonymity. Sure, several of us know who we are in RL, but my online persona and RL may be the same (it is) and it may be different.

Nevertheless, lets try and keep the personal **** out of SDN, I see it going nowhere good.

EDIT: And Sumstorm and Nyanko, and others, have challenged my personal beliefs on more then one occasion, and while they are always wrong and I am always right, it nevertheless offers additional insight into opposing view points, which is a very good thing

+1,000 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well I think the problem here was that one person's perception of a school repeated over and over again is really going to shape the way incoming students and applicants view the place. And while a lot of us know that this person sometimes tends towards the slightly melodramatic, some of the newer folks might not.