CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haters-gonna-hate.gif

Ignore them.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
iloled-pam.jpg

Thanks, guys! You cheered me up. Every time I see the
"Haters be hatin'" thing I giggle.

I will gladly show you all how I learned how to do stuff, and I will happily accept input on how you might know how to do stuff!!!

I would greatly appreciate tactful advice from someone more experienced, but I'm also hoping that the people who do have more SA clinical/technical knowledge don't think I'm an undeserving-of-vet-school idiot for not knowing many of the basics. I'm actually a little nervous about this :oops:

I would greatly appreciate tactful advice from someone more experienced, but I'm also hoping that the people who do have more SA clinical/technical knowledge don't think I'm an undeserving-of-vet-school idiot for not knowing many of the basics. I'm actually a little nervous about this :oops:

I felt the same way until I got to talk to a whole bunch of my classmates. Some people only have large animal experience...or research...or wildlife...so a lot of people will be in the same boat as us. I have gotten lots of SA experience but I've only shadowed so I was never allowed to draw blood or anything like that. I think it will be fine! No worries

Likewise...I've got a lot of SA clinical experience. I've got a ton of LA handling experience, but less clinical experience in that area. And exotics? Put me with a bird and I'm clueless... So everyone will have their strengths and weaknesses. Obviously, if you got in, you're worthy of being there :)

That's the thing--I think many people with relatively little experience automatically feel "inferior" or that someone with more experience thinks that they're an "idiot" or something--what I try to always tell people when they express those thoughts is that NOBODY is born knowing this stuff! We ALL have to learn it sometime--and honestly it doesn't matter WHEN that is. :) Everyone has different insights and strengths and weaknesses--part of vet school is learning from everyone else's past experiences, not just your own. :)

luplodw -- have you all started classes yet or are you still doing orientation activities? i'm excited to hear how your first days of classes go!

Wednesday we start real classes. We had today off for "holiday." Tomorrow is more orientation stuff. Friday was a ropes course (which was so much fun). I'll let you know how hard it seems haha

Wednesday we start real classes. We had today off for "holiday."

Yea, what was up with that? I'm confused. Banks, Post Office, tons of places were closed today for some reason (have to assume that it had something to do with the 4th)...anyways, good to hear that you had the day off--I sure didn't :)

Yea, what was up with that? I'm confused. Banks, Post Office, tons of places were closed today for some reason (have to assume that it had something to do with the 4th)...anyways, good to hear that you had the day off--I sure didn't :)

Lol, my mom actually had to explain this to me yesterday. People usually expect off for the 4th since it's a national holiday. Since it fell on a Sunday, people wouldn't have gotten their allocated vacation days, so the 5th (today) was treated as a national holiday instead so people could get the vacation days promised them. Basically, if the 4th fell on a weekday, people would have gotten off, so they just gave them off the day after.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think because it has a positive tone instead of in the "Class of 2013" thread where it is a hugggge negative post followed by "but i still love it" or worse...."i hate it" lol

Ah but if you go back to the beginning of that thread (or the one for 2012 or 2011) you will note 2 things:

1. Usually it is way early in the year and starts with someone applying for the next year (this is one of the first times I have seen someone in the class year start the thread, and this time it is about one month earlier)

and

2. Always starts very, very positive.

So just read the first few posts if you don't want to get worried.:smuggrin:

That's the thing--I think many people with relatively little experience automatically feel "inferior" or that someone with more experience thinks that they're an "idiot" or something--what I try to always tell people when they express those thoughts is that NOBODY is born knowing this stuff! We ALL have to learn it sometime--and honestly it doesn't matter WHEN that is. :) Everyone has different insights and strengths and weaknesses--part of vet school is learning from everyone else's past experiences, not just your own. :)

I appreciate the reminder, and I do agree with you. I think that part of the problem --for me anyway-- is that people outside of the field tend to assume "student starting vet school this year"="veterinary knowledge and animal handling expert". I have had several people ask me animal-related questions and then be surprised/disappointed or annoyed when I had to refer to the literature or a vet for answers. I don't feel inferior for not knowing things I haven't had a chance to learn, but the frequent negative reinforcement does get a little disheartening. But the kind feedback I have heard from SDNers is helping me relax. Thanks, guys :)

I appreciate the reminder, and I do agree with you. I think that part of the problem --for me anyway-- is that people outside of the field tend to assume "student starting vet school this year"="veterinary knowledge and animal handling expert". I have had several people ask me animal-related questions and then be surprised/disappointed or annoyed when I had to refer to the literature or a vet for answers. I don't feel inferior for not knowing things I haven't had a chance to learn, but the frequent negative reinforcement does get a little disheartening. But the kind feedback I have heard from SDNers is helping me relax. Thanks, guys :)

That's actually really funny. Ever since I decided I wanted to go to veterinary school (read: haven't applied nevermind been accepted), my own mother has been asking me about medical advice concerning our fur and feather gang. Really mom?

Ah but if you go back to the beginning of that thread (or the one for 2012 or 2011) you will note 2 things:

1. Usually it is way early in the year and starts with someone applying for the next year (this is one of the first times I have seen someone in the class year start the thread, and this time it is about one month earlier)

and

2. Always starts very, very positive.

So just read the first few posts if you don't want to get worried.:smuggrin:

i will try this!!

EDIT: dont do it!!! it's a trick!! i got to post #3 and am terrified now lol i had to stop reading after the first sentence of that post haha

Haven't hit a state of intense nervousness just yet, though i'm sure that'll come on soon enough. I am incredibly excited to get started though. I still have a few more weeks working over here in Scotland, but honestly i'd be willing to go home early if it meant getting started sooner. :thumbup:

i will try this!!

EDIT: dont do it!!! it's a trick!! i got to post #3 and am terrified now lol i had to stop reading after the first sentence of that post haha

Alright skip that one...I forgot about it.:rolleyes:

I really needed this thread this morning... We don't start until August 9, and it makes me feel great hearing about people's exciting experiences!

What other schools have their white coat ceremony before school starts their first year?

I heard that for Penn we don't have ours until before 3rd year, is this correct? anyone else also later?

Illinois has a blue coat ceremony for first years and then white coat is later but not sure when exactly. Maybe not until 4th year?

St. George's University holds their white coat ceremony at the end of orientation week.

Virginia Maryland also holds one at the end of orientation week.

We got gray coats...every class has different colors. We get the white one when we graduate.

I thought I'd give an update about classes. It has taken me awhile since I've been studying like never before. Here's the deal so far....I was told if you study 2 hours a day you would be just fine. This is a mistake!!!!! For instance....the first day in physiology we went through a ton of notes that would have taken any class in undergrad about 3 lectures to cover (this is in a 50 minute time period). Then for that one day we had 4 chapters to read in 2 different books. The reading for that day just for that class took me about 2 hours to do. Then you have to consider you probably are taking more classes than you did in undergrad and they ALL have a ton of material. I think i've averaged about 6 hours of studying every day since class started. In undergrad I basically didn't study at all until 1 or 2 days before the test so this is a huge shock to have to study every day...let alone 6 hours on top of class.

I hate studying but I love vet school!!! Here is why...in undergrad I felt like I was the only person I knew studying and missing out on all the fun. In vet school, everyone is studying so it is amazing motivation to study as well. It keeps you on top of things just talking to other people and seeing what they are doing. At mississippi we have cubicles in the anatomy lab. We all study in there together. It is so much fun though! We still study a lot, but it is kind of a little party every day. People still walk around and talk and have fun, but we get a lot of studying done too. It makes it sooooo much less painful. I actually have a ton of fun being around everyone. So overall....in undergrad I despised studying (and I barely ever did it) and in vet school i'm studying a ton, but I am still having a great time. Having everyone in the same situation, under the same kind of pressure, and under the same amount of stress makes it easier on you because you can share that with all your other classmates!

It is so awesome to hear how to apply everything we have learned in undergrad clinically. Today in anatomy we learned the bones but then we got to look at radiographs and learn how to read them and apply our knowledge to something we will be doing the rest of our lives. There are just small things that make it so much more interesting...like we learned about edema and how to tell if your animal has it. So much more fun than I ever imagined!! The information is so much more interesting than undergrad so this makes it easier to study too.

I think you all are going to love vet school. Don't get nervous! I think if you go in with a positive attitude, you will love it even more. I have my first test next Wednesday and I'm a bit nervous, but I have the confidence that all my hard work will pay off. We can all get through it together!

luplodw, thanks for posting!! i am so glad to hear that you are enjoying school and still like it even though you are studying your butt off. I'm sure your hard work will pay off on your first exam. Hopefully after a while you'll be able to cut down on the hours of studying per night, 6 would be really hard to keep up!! I have a feeling I will be exactly like you when I start. I never studied in undergrad til the night before but i'm going to be studying every second when i first start school to make sure i dont bomb my first exam lol then i'll chill out a little bit.

thanks again for sharing :)

I've been confused by the white coat thing, too. There hasn't been anything about it in the orientation schedule we've received for KSU. And there was something on the website a month or two ago about CO 2013 receiving their white coats, so it seems like at Kansas you get your white coat at the end of 3rd year.

At WCVM, it's a month after we start classes.

Also luplodw, that sounds like a lot of studying! I'm also used to not studying until a day or two before the test during undergrad, and although I know I'll have to study more during vet school, I think 6 hours a day would kill me! It's good to know it's enjoyable at least.

I think I should note that I get out of class at 3 so I have tons of time to study as well. I wouldn't be studying so much if there wasn't so much darn reading to do! I know a lot of people that just aren't going to do the reading and are only going to study lecture notes. I am just very scared to do that until I see what the first tests are like...then if it was all from lectures i'll stop reading and it will cut my study time basically in half (since we cover avg. 1-2 chapters a day in each class and sometimes even 4!)

OkSU does their white coat ceremony on the last day of orientation.

I've been confused by the white coat thing, too. There hasn't been anything about it in the orientation schedule we've received for KSU. And there was something on the website a month or two ago about CO 2013 receiving their white coats, so it seems like at Kansas you get your white coat at the end of 3rd year.

You are correct that KSU has their white coat ceremony at the end of third year (when we transition into clinicals), so I'm guessing you meant to write Class of 2011. It's sometime in April, on the day that the college has off for the "Kind Hearts/Caring Hands Celebration" --not that I have any idea what that is.

"We actually get two coats, embroidered with our names and the vet symbol and Penn. They're for clinics (definitely not anatomy lab!)"

yayy, i'll wait 2 yrs for this!

Luplodw: your experiences in vet school thus far sound so exciting-- can't wait to start in August!

white coat ceremony: at Michigan, we get ours at the end of orientation week. :D

LSU has a blue coat ceremony at the end of orientation. I'm not sure when we get our white coats, but third year sound right. I've heard from some second year students; at first you're all proud about your nice, new, professional coat, and then you realize that you'll be wearing it for anatomy lab. So much for the nice and new.

Hrm...no idea when A&M does it. My guess is somewhere between third and fourth year.

I'm pretty sure Cornell's white coat ceremony is in the middle of third year (December) before clinics start.

You are correct that KSU has their white coat ceremony at the end of third year (when we transition into clinicals), so I'm guessing you meant to write Class of 2011.

Oops, my bad.

Thank you for sharing luplodw! It's really exciting to hear about your experience in vet school thus far; that you're really enjoying it and that the huge amount of work you're putting in feels worth it. I don't start until mid-August, still a while to wait, but really excited :Dhttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=269323

We have a blue coat while we are 'in training' then at the end of third year we get our white coats before we go into clinics. we are also having an iVLE-Illinois veterinary leadership experience, the day before orientation so we can all practice team building and communication and get to know each other. are other schools doing this as well? i like it.

RVC has their white coat ceremony in the middle of freshers week (orientation).

I'm starting to get a little more nervous about moving abroad now that it's only 8 weeks away. I feel behind! I don't have my visa yet because I haven't gotten a loan letter yet, I'm not packed, I haven't booked my flight... :eek:

I leave across the pond in 19 days!! :scared: Lei325, do you know if Edinburgh does their coating ceremony like RVC does during orientation? The VISA process wasn't so bad so don't freak out over it. :)

Thanks for chiming in luplodw! I'm still super nervous. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't a 12 hour flight away.

:)
I leave across the pond in 19 days!! :scared:

Thanks for chiming in luplodw! I'm still super nervous. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't a 12 hour flight away.

I know, right? Could we have chosen a school any further away? It's gonna be totally worth it, though.

I leave on Tuesday! :D I'll keep you posted so you can get an idea of what to expect. I can't wait till you arrive!:)

I leave across the pond in 19 days!! :scared: Lei325, do you know if Edinburgh does their coating ceremony like RVC does during orientation? The VISA process wasn't so bad so don't freak out over it. :)

I'm not sure, actually. I would assume that Edinburgh would do their white coat ceremony during freshers week as well...? I'm not too nervous about the visa, I've got my hard copies filled out, I just need the rest of my documentation to send in and fill out the online application.

I can't believe you leave in 19 days, chii chan! The time has just flown by...

Less than 3 weeks until the first day of our Orientation and exactly 3 weeks from today until our White Coat Ceremony at NCSU!

I am so excited to be starting vet school and following my dreams, but that being said, I am as nervous as a high-strung thoroughbred entering the starting gate, foaming at the mouth, bulging eyes, protruding blood vessels, and drenched in sweat. Chomping on the bit and waiting for the starting gates to open, I am anxiously anticipating the race of my life. :D

Earlier this week, I went on a farewell tour of my favorite places in New England: hiking Mt. Washington, camping, sampling fresh cider and cheese, exploring the rivers and byways of NH and VT, etc. It was wonderful to get away from the chaos of packing, goodbyes, and preparations and take some time to do something purely for the delight of it.

As a special treat, I went on a day ride through the hills of Vermont on a charmingly mischievous Icelandic horse (a wonderful experience that I highly recommend!). One of the other people on the ride was a young woman of early high school age, and at some point she started talking about how she was going to be a equine veterinarian someday. Eventually, I mentioned that I happened to be starting vet school this year, which led to one of my odder conversations about the subject:

Me: It's great that you're interested in veterinary medicine! I'm actually starting vet school in a few weeks.

Her: Oh wow, you were accepted? How many horses do you have?

Me: *confused* How many... horses?

Her: Yeah. How many horses do you have?

Me: None, actually -not for lack of wishing!

Her: Oh, umm... Huh. Are you hoping to be an equine vet?

Me: I'm not sure, but I'm planning on letting my experiences in school help me decide. I am interested in wildlife too. Maybe I'll be a zebra vet! *joking*

Her: *blank look*

I'm not sure what that was all about, but I sure am grateful that the adcoms somehow failed to notice that I did not meet the apparent minimum horse requirement :laugh:

:laugh: willowhand that is so funny. that almost seems like a convo i would expect from a little kid. i wonder where she got the impression that all pre-vets had to own horses to get accepted to vet school. strange indeed, but your sense of humor was funny! too bad she made it awkward