CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First week done on Small Animal Internal Medicine and I have learned a lot so far! I definitely, 100% prefer medicine to surgery--even the complicated med cases with a 3-inch thick record

Members don't see this ad.

First week done on Small Animal Internal Medicine and I have learned a lot so far! I definitely, 100% prefer medicine to surgery--even the complicated med cases with a 3-inch thick record

:thumbup:

I loved my week on internal medicine during clinical exposure!

Small Animal Internal Medicine here was soul-destroying.

you know how people just said they don't expect you to remember factoids and details? Totes down the toilet when you're talking about SA Med here. You better know that 25th differential for IMHA when they've gone around the table 4 times and ask you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
took NAVLE today. really hoping that first section was just for funsies because it was HARD. here's to sleeping and enjoying my next 1.5 weeks of vacation block before back to school for orthopedic surgery...163 days until graduation!!! :soexcited:

took NAVLE today. really hoping that first section was just for funsies because it was HARD. here's to sleeping and enjoying my next 1.5 weeks of vacation block before back to school for orthopedic surgery...163 days until graduation!!! :soexcited:
I thought the first section was the hardest, too! I need a big glass of wine now

Just finished off a zoo externship with BABY LEMURS. And now, back to real life (aka intensive NAVLE studying). :cyclops:

lol the NAVLE. it sure was a test. I was so sick of taking the test by the end that I was just clicking stuff without thinking. ENOUGH ALREADY

I take the NAVLE tomorrow and I have barely any motivation to study anymore. 4th year has been fun and I'd rather be surgerizing right about now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I take the NAVLE tomorrow and I have barely any motivation to study anymore. 4th year has been fun and I'd rather be surgerizing right about now.

Pretty much how I feel about Tuesday...
Can't we just be finished?

So I feel like we are in the home stretch now. I'm trying to ignore the fact that NAVLE scores will be coming out soon and am focusing on the end finally being in sight. So, when is graduation for everyone? Ours is May 9th.

Ours is May 10th. :) I'm also trying not to freak out about the fact that there are zero job listings here right now.... I really don't want to have to move.

Ours is May 10th. :) I'm also trying not to freak out about the fact that there are zero job listings here right now.... I really don't want to have to move.
Yeah I'm running into that problem, too. I'm applying to places that are at least an hour's drive because that's the closest openings. My husband's job has really nice benefits so we don't want to give those up (he really likes his job, too).

June 30th for us...though that isn't set in stone....and who knows if I will even be able to go depending on when jobs start...ugh

June 13 at 10 am. that's 158 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes and 32 seconds from the time i post this. not that i'm counting.

So I feel like we are in the home stretch now. I'm trying to ignore the fact that NAVLE scores will be coming out soon and am focusing on the end finally being in sight. So, when is graduation for everyone? Ours is May 9th.

Yeah, I really should figure out where I'm going for my off campus rotations. Can't find housing for one, haven't heard back from the others. Tempted to just do one around here and be done with it.

may 2!!! aka 117 days :) :) :) only easy rotations left...currently on primary care (with a snow day tomorrow!), then vacation block, ultrasound, two externships off campus, and rounding out the DVM degree with a zoo and wildlife rotation. #winning

May 18th! The terrifying thought for me is that I only have 3 more weeks worth of small animal rotations before graduation. Super scary!

I have decided that getting a job as a new grad is a lot like applying for a credit card for the first time. You can't get a credit card without credit but you can't get credit without a credit card. You can't get a job without experience but you can't get experience without a job.

I have decided that getting a job as a new grad is a lot like applying for a credit card for the first time. You can't get a credit card without credit but you can't get credit without a credit card. You can't get a job without experience but you can't get experience without a job.

I just got a credit card under my husband's account because they don't like it when I put my total income as $0 on an application... haha. I don't guess jobs work that way though.

It's like you have to know someone to get started. It's scary.

So very true

Amen.

I'm just hoping that my previous good luck with finding jobs (as a tech) is still hanging around.

I'm daunted by the process of sending my resume to everywhere in a city where there are no job listings, and half of the vets in the area are pissed at the vet school and don't like new grads, in the hopes that someone will hire me. :-/

Amen.

I'm just hoping that my previous good luck with finding jobs (as a tech) is still hanging around.

I'm daunted by the process of sending my resume to everywhere in a city where there are no job listings, and half of the vets in the area are pissed at the vet school and don't like new grads, in the hopes that someone will hire me. :-/
best of luck to you. I had hoped some of the dislike would die down

I really wish they just would have given us a date for boards score release rather than this vague "mid-late January" nonsense. Hard to do I guess if it varies by state.

Last edited:
The rumor floating around my class is that scores will be released in Monday. It's just speculation based on when they were released last year.

Amen.
half of the vets in the area are pissed at the vet school and don't like new grads

Eeek! I didn't know about that....finding a job worries me enough as it is.

When do people usually start applying for jobs?

I know multiple people that have already signed on the dotted line; many are in the process of searching.

The rumor floating around my class is that scores will be released in Monday. It's just speculation based on when they were released last year.

last year, i think they took the NAVLE a week before us though (as in, their NAVLE block started and ended a week earlier)...so it could be another whole week :\

last year, i think they took the NAVLE a week before us though (as in, their NAVLE block started and ended a week earlier)...so it could be another whole week :\
It is based on last year's results. They received theirs exactly 4 weeks from the first day the test was open.

Classmate said first but I haven't actually broken out a calendar to check. It's all speculation.

Just checked and first doesn't add up. Eh.

The NBVME website is down. How am I supposed to obsessively check if the score portal is open?!?!?!?!

Be glad you can obsessively check. Ours come by snail mail. :(

Bleh. I think I'm just going to wait until facebook blows up...this obsessive checking isn't working out so well. We have a kid that's been freaking his rotation mates out since late December by randomly saying "boards scores are up!" Not nice :D And sorry Katryn - lame!!

word on the street is that someone on the internets called NBVME and they said no scores this week, but definitely "by the end of the month" :bang:
sucks because i'm going to be at NAVC next week and i don't want to ruin my trip!!!! and even if i do pass, celebrating in orlando without any friends/family is less than ideal!!!!

Bleh. I think I'm just going to wait until facebook blows up...this obsessive checking isn't working out so well. We have a kid that's been freaking his rotation mates out since late December by randomly saying "boards scores are up!" Not nice :D And sorry Katryn - lame!!
someone did this to me today and i literally almost died.

Gotta love the absurd number of different rumors about NAVLE score release dates. There's either a ton of different/confused people answering the phones for NVBME, or the rumor-starters are full of it. Better yet, the NAVLE folks are probably just enjoying the steaming kettle of pure panic they're creating as they swim in a pool filled with the cash we gave them to take the exam. -__-