CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well class of 2014? I am ready to start congratulations already!!!!!!! Next week or week after?
I wish we knew

Members don't see this ad.

They want to get as much soul sucking in as possible I think.

Reactions: 1 user
So last night a bunch of classmates and rossies went out for food and drinks. I had so much fun but when I got home it hit me that we will all be going our separate ways in a few short months. Graduation is now bittersweet for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
They haven't said yet. :( The email just said they would post on the news page when they send scores to the state boards.

They haven't said yet. :( The email just said they would post on the news page when they send scores to the state boards.

Well...they said the score portal would open the end of January...so within the next two weeks.
Though that e-mail gave me a damn heart attack the other day.

So last night a bunch of classmates and rossies went out for food and drinks. I had so much fun but when I got home it hit me that we will all be going our separate ways in a few short months. Graduation is now bittersweet for me.

I feel the same way. I've seen these people almost every day for 4 years now!

I'll miss nyanko, but I'm pretty sure she'll still regularly call me old and tell me to go suck a dick via facebook and make fun of stupid people with me, so it should all work out.

Reactions: 1 users
You should go job hunting in New England and we can be neighbors.

My resume shotgun hits the mail today. And I applied to an actual opening yesterday! I'm not holding my breath(sounded too much like they were not looking for a new grad), but maybe I will at least get an interview.

I passed the NAVLE!

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations everyone!!!

tumblr_mo7a939TWa1qf8btso1_r1_500.gif

barney-confetti.gif

I'm not on here so much anymore but I passed!! So exciting everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
I wish we could all change our usernames to put Dr. in front.

Reactions: 2 users
Saw on FB scores are out - congrats 2014ers!!!

Uggghhh of course Tennessee is still in the dark ages and has to send out scores via snail mail!!!

Must say it is kind of nice to see some old V14ers come back. Hope when you are out practicing you find time to check in some more and add your experiences to the noobs.

Congratulations, 2014ers!! So excited for you!

Any tips for those of us going next?

Keep Calm, and study on :) Take the more difficult/ICU cases fourth year when you get the chance - nothing like spending a week or two with an intense case/monitoring them throughout the process/changing plans daily. Study for boards in your own way. Some like zuku, some like vetprep, some start studying as VM1s, others the night before (I don't recommend this one!) I started in August and felt I had ample time to get through material, but to also retain some of it.

Just keep on truckin' and enjoy whatever time you have off to prevent burnout. Don't worry about boards until late summer/fall.

Second this advice. My good friend started early and she felt like she didn't remember the minutiae (which, let's face it, is what boards are all about) by the time hard core studying time came around. I started in the fall (end of September? October?) and felt like I had adequate time to study before taking boards in mid November. I think having any more time would have had major diminishing returns.

For now just get used to clinics, that is enough of an adjustment in itself!

Our class was able to fund raise enough that we are each getting a one year subscription to vetprep premium since that was recommended to us by the 2014'ers above us. I was wondering when to start studying so this info is helpful. Thanks guys!

Our class was able to fund raise enough that we are each getting a one year subscription to vetprep premium since that was recommended to us by the 2014'ers above us. I was wondering when to start studying so this info is helpful. Thanks guys!

I used VetPrep premium and loved it. As much as you can love anything that involves studying anyway.
I would start August at the earliest.

I pretty much vetprepped my life away starting in October. I would say that gave me plenty of time to get through it all. I think I reached 100% about a week before? Other than that, just pay attention in clinics, because that saved my butt. Especially having my four weeks of farm animal in November.

What worked well for me was starting with the dog and cat questions because those were things that really helped me in clinics/life that I was likely to retain. I actually started them back in feb or something like that (against my own advice) because that's when zuku started their cheap deals for subscriptions that went all the way to Dec. just getting the basic questions out of the way for things like ckd, cushing's, dm, hyperthyroidism, hcm (pretty much stuff that i already knew cold and wouldnt forget) made me feel better because it kept my study percentage higher than the national average so i wouldn't get antsy feeling behind. I just marked the minutia that seemed like "boards only" type of questions to review later. I worked on the equine questions while I was on my equine rotations and did the same.

Then I went back to the minutiae and started studying them in Sep. i then crammed the small ruminant, bovine, porcine, and exotics 2-3 weeks before boards (50% of it actually the last 2 days...) because cramming is what I do best, and I honestly don't care about retaining this crap. I care about exotics, but there's so few questions that it didn't take long to go through it. I'm someone who can't learn about topics I'm weak on unless I sit down for a long time and sort everything out in my head at once, so doing a few questions here and there for the food animal stuff would have been futile.

I invested in 2 of the full length navle exams, and I thought they were worth it. I did one a month or two before boards (when I was done studying dog, cat, and horse), which was the best decision ever. It projected me to pass with pretty good margins, so then I felt comfortable not caring about any of the other subjects. In the end I completed zuku (at least the study mode, didnt do the quiz mode), but I never really felt stressed about it. It also helped me make the executive decisions to just not worry about the food animal toxins. The second exam was probably unnecessary, but I took it the day before, and it made me confident enough that I could sleep well. The tests really helped me get comfy with the format and timing of the exam, that I was able to zoom through using half the time given. It helped that the days prior to taking it, I was doing enough questions that it was like taking 3 navle's per sitting. It made the actual thing seem really short.

It really helps to have the pathology rotation before boards!

I started studying about 3 months before boards. I think studying the species I was on rotation for (ie. did all the LA questions while I was on farm animal med) really helped both with studying and with feeling smart during rounds and with cases. I finished almost all of zuku study mode about two weeks before, and spent the last two weeks (I was on vacation) taking a NAVLE worth of the test mode a day

I also felt like taking one of the NAVLE self assessments a few weeks before the exam was a huge help. Knowing that I "passed" the self assessment made it really easy to relax the day of the actual exam.

I also felt like taking one of the NAVLE self assessments a few weeks before the exam was a huge help. Knowing that I "passed" the self assessment made it really easy to relax the day of the actual exam.

Haha I was too terrified to take one of those....for fear of failing it and then panicking the day of!

I thought the self-assessment was helpful too. I took it pretty early on (before I felt at all ready) since my school purchased vouchers for them for everyone in my class and there was a deadline to use it. It was nice to see that I was projected to pass at that point since I was sort of getting freaked out about how I could possibly finish enough Zuku questions not to fail.

A classmate of mine from TN got her results via snail mail today. I hope the TN people here got theirs, too!